Guests dishonest about number of people

Answered!
Andrew865
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Guests dishonest about number of people

My guest booked for 5 people. (2 adults, 3 children). It appears they actually have 6 people (2 adults, 4 children).

We charge $25 / night additional after the 4th person. I'm not super upset about the money, but do feel a little upset here as someone staying in my house has mislead me about their stay.

What is your recommendation on how to handle this?

1 Best Answer
John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Andrew865 This sort of situation puts us hosts in a difficult position given the AirBnb rating system. Since anything less that 5-stars is considered to be a 'bad' review, guests are in a position to take advantage of the situation with hosts being scared to say anything for fear of receiving a negative review.  

I would let this go in order not to upset the guests and possibly receive less than 5 stars. It's unfortunate that we have to consider this and not be able to confront guests with issues like this, but that's just how it is. 

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13

@Andrew865

I guess it would depend on whether you want the guest to pay the additional person fee or you just want them to KNOW that you know they lied. Also, how important is it for you to get a good (5 star) review from these guests, what does your gut tell you about these guests and how they'd react if you confront them, do you have proof (like a security cam for main entrance/driveway), and do you have a "no guests of the guest (unregistered guests) allowed on premise" rule in your house rules? - I  don't think there's really a "right" answer in this type of situation. Even for the same host, same listing, the way you react could easily differ depending on the impression you get from the guest group.

Sam397
Level 10
Reno, NV

Had a something like that happen to me and this is what BnB policy are concerning children.

Infants (children under 2 years old) aren't counted as guests when you're booking a reservation and don't incur any extra costs. 

here is the link if you want to check out their policy.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/433/can-children-travel-on-airbnb

@Sam397@Andrew865

Airbnb might not count infants in the automated guest count, but ultimately it is up to the host to decide. Some hosts state that additional guests regardless of age will incur an extra person fee of $ XX in their listing description and house rules.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/infant-booking/m-p/282908

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Infants-not-charged/m-p/261509

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/This-is-Starting-to-get-Ridiculous-Infants/m-p/729592

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Infants-and-Additional-Charge/m-p/469529

Yeah, i had looked this up prior to asking this question. The children are certainly all much older than 2 (if i has to guess I’d say all 10 and above)

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Andrew865

Are you upset about the extra costs for the extra guest? because you should be.

It’s not ideal,  but at this point being upset really feels like it’s all i can do...

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Andrew865 This sort of situation puts us hosts in a difficult position given the AirBnb rating system. Since anything less that 5-stars is considered to be a 'bad' review, guests are in a position to take advantage of the situation with hosts being scared to say anything for fear of receiving a negative review.  

I would let this go in order not to upset the guests and possibly receive less than 5 stars. It's unfortunate that we have to consider this and not be able to confront guests with issues like this, but that's just how it is. 

@John1080

Letting this go and not asking for the additional guest fee does not guarantee a 5-star review from the guest.

Personally.........I think I'd be way~more upset if I let it go AND the guest gave me a 4 star review.

@Jessica-and-Henry0 No, it doesn't guarantee it, but mentioning it could hurt one's chances for a 5-star review. It could indeed go either way. 

I haven't looked at the hosts listing profile, but as usual, I would use it as a learning tool to make sure I have something very clearly about extra guests and how the charge will be added.

Andrew865
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Thanks all.

So i think I’ll let it go, include mention in the hosts review and make a private comment at the same time. The extra cost isn’t ideal, but it’s minor and i feel running the risk of a bad review isn’t worthwhile.

The additional laundry given this is a 7 day booking this will generate is by far more annoying to me, but at this point i cannot do much about that.

Thais-and-Luiz0
Level 7
New York, NY

It charges $ 100 per person that was not in the reservation, this avoids bringing someone else.

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

We just had something similar happening very recently.

I.e. Guests booked for a small family of 3 (5 months ago). So as usual: I thanked them for their booking and forwarded them my standard additional question list. Since then: Silence.

Which is not much of a problem to me, as that seems to be the case with quite some guests.

Their stay is not due for another month (and typically, when I still need additional details, I will start contacting the guests again some 2-3 weeks prior to their arrival. In order to obtain the last remaining pieces of information).

Recently I received a message from these guests (without me re-initiating the conversation), in which they informed me they were already very excited about their upcoming trip + the message: “My in-laws have decided to join us. We are now 5 in total. 4 adults and one child. I wanted to let you know in advance”.

I was a bit stunned over this, because they were not asking me, but just telling me (at least they were not lying). Neither did they send in a change to the reservation reflecting the change in the number of guests (We charge a € 10/night uplift for the 5th guest).

As already mentioned by others in this thread. There are pro’s and con’s to every approach.

In the past, any additional applicable uplift for extra persons, was clearly automatically shown in the listing. For about a year or so, this is no longer the case. In other words: How can a guest know, such an uplift might be applicable?

The only thing a guest may know is, they booked an accommodation that sleeps max 5. So there was still space for an additional 2 guests. Most likely it never occurred to them, that this might have financial consequences. Neither may they have thought about the rise in costs to the host for having to house more people. I.e. extra laundry, extra usage of supplies and utilities.

So basically we have the same dilemma as what this post is about.

And indeed: All of this is mainly driven by the rating system!

As it is very difficult to estimate the potential financial consequences, as a result of a single very bad revenge-review.

Therefore personally, I think it’s best to avoid as much as possible any discussion upfront. But I also do want to inform guests there is some financial impact. Whether you will charge them additionally or not.

I decided to tell them about the consequences. But at the same time, I also told them that we would not be charging the uplift (maybe in the false hope they will reward us somehow for this kind gesture 😞 ).

Obviously I used factual and kind words, because I did not want to come across as lecturing either.

And on top of that some people can get upset very easily over about anything. Especially when money is involved.

So for now, we leave the reservation as is (maybe not correct, but nevertheless). In the future we also have to deal with Tourist Tax (and in a lot of cases, this type of tax will be collected by Airbnb on behalf of the local authorities).

So in the future, the actual number of persons MUST be in the reservation (we have to report identity details of the guest to the authorities too).

I.e. the authorities can reconcile.

So I will indeed think about adding this information to the house-rules.

Doing guests a favor does certainly not assure a 5-star all over review (maybe they have already forgotten again about the kind gesture, by the time they are writing the review). And it is like, when you offer a discount. Even then (or maybe especially) guests may still criticize you in the review.

Ellen395
Level 1
Asheville, NC

You can request the additional cost for extra guest but then they will give you a bad review! Happens to me every time! It’s very upsetting!