Guests have become super high maintenance and extraordinary particular

Lisa540
Level 4
Arlington, VA

Guests have become super high maintenance and extraordinary particular

Hello,

I was a host several years ago and all my guests were friendly and nice and gave me great reviews. Then I took a two year break. Now I am hosting again and the space has been upgraded. Nicer furniture, ironed bed linens, lots of snacks, Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming. My recent guests have been much more high maintenance than the guests from two years ago, asking for toothpaste, special pillows, different chairs and so on. I have accomodated all requests. The guidebook is extensive and my response rate is 100%. And, above all, the space is large, immaculate and SO CHEAP. That said, guests this time around seem so demanding and dissatisfied and not particularly generous in their reviews. 

Anyone else having this experience? Hosting is hard work and our space is beautiful and so so so inexpensive in a super expensive location. I'm tempted to simply stop because I do not need the negativity.

I'd love to hear from anyone!

Lisa

115 Replies 115

I literally would have laughed at the guest asking that.

Pat96
Level 8
Williamsburg, VA

I agree with some other guests here - don’t be so cheap in setting your price. Ask what it is worth and no discounts. Don’t bow to stupid or outrageous demands either. They get what they get and be happy or leave. 

Allison116
Level 10
Walnut Creek, CA

Maybe you are too cheap.  Too cheap begets those types of guests.  You may be surprised that if you raise your price, evenif you rent fewer days, you may make more $ overall each month and have less hassles.    

Paula924
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Yes, I am becoming disillusioned by air b n b. It’s lost its soul

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

The quality of guest has certainly been declining. So, we've been forced to do a bit of "declining" of our own (questionable inquiries and requests to book). 

Prevention is the best cure; Quality over quantity. And that enables us to continue to provide our guests with the quality experience they deserve. Otherwise, it just wouldn't be worth it. 

Watch your back.

Kim470
Level 1
Las Vegas, NV

I just hosted a guest for three days I would love to share with all Airbnbers. How do I let everyone know this guest is a no retutn?

Oh Kim

I know how you feel! 

Only news for you is 1 company will start shortly for guests review between hosts. Homeaway.com.au here in Australia is finalising this brand new platform . Potential guest will not be privy to it. Ky

@Kim470  I think it is good for Air BNB hosts to know there are other options that may be more suited to their circumstance, however, most hosts are looking for this forum to help them deal with an issue within this platform.  Sometimes they cannot, but usually we try to see what we can do here.

Kim470
Level 1
Las Vegas, NV

This guest talked very very loudly the entire first night, and through the morning. I didn't see him so I texted him and aksed to keep his calls quieter, and not late. He said he was sorry and would be quiter. He asked for my phone charger, and my toenail clippers. My charger I lent but then he lost it. He texted me 10 times the first nightup until 1130pm. I had my phone off of course. Next day he asked for a fan, noo problem but it's 51 degrees, and spent the next 4 hours talking on the phone so loud, with no respect for others. Then he lost his Ipad, then the key. Needless to say how do I let the community know without blasting him in a review?

Nothing on airbnb allows it. It could happen 1 day, let's see how homeaway does it & the way it handles. Privacy laws in each country  I got so frustrated I was tempted to start a website for hosts.....! 🎷cheers ky

Why wouldn't you want to "blast" this guest in a review, @Kim470?  If he was disrespectful of space or time boundaries he should not book in a shared home listing.  "Perhaps this guest would be fine in an entire apartment rather than share home."  You could review with that statement.  Many guest behaviors are only onerous if you are in the same space.

I think there is correlation between the price you are asking and expectations. Logical, really.

Darcee1
Level 2
Modesto, CA

Hi all, 

My personal belief is that people simply expect every thing under the sun and want to pay as little as possible.  I do not enjoy being cynical but I noticed rather quickly into my host experience that guests want to book 8 to 10 people at your listing and pay $100.00 per night for a good sized fully stocked and thoughtfully put together home. I had a guest tell me I should buy 2 ply toilet paper. 

Sounds like a long way to go.

In 20 years I feel like I can write a book about guests expectations ... 

In some way airbnb has ruined my business   , they don't want to pay more than 1998 prices

$100 mid week $175 for 2 nights weekends  My costs have doubled in 20 years. I have been lucky with a few booking for a week or a month but not on airbnb

Cheers 

Ky

Jules34
Level 4
Manila, Philippines

Oh man. Don’t get me started. I totally feel you. I host a $40-$50/night space and guests have been extra particular with their demands and have been pushing the boundaries with what they can get away with. The sense of entitlement has definitely increased and everyone expects amenities similar to a hotel.