Guests have become super high maintenance and extraordinary particular

Lisa540
Level 4
Arlington, VA

Guests have become super high maintenance and extraordinary particular

Hello,

I was a host several years ago and all my guests were friendly and nice and gave me great reviews. Then I took a two year break. Now I am hosting again and the space has been upgraded. Nicer furniture, ironed bed linens, lots of snacks, Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming. My recent guests have been much more high maintenance than the guests from two years ago, asking for toothpaste, special pillows, different chairs and so on. I have accomodated all requests. The guidebook is extensive and my response rate is 100%. And, above all, the space is large, immaculate and SO CHEAP. That said, guests this time around seem so demanding and dissatisfied and not particularly generous in their reviews. 

Anyone else having this experience? Hosting is hard work and our space is beautiful and so so so inexpensive in a super expensive location. I'm tempted to simply stop because I do not need the negativity.

I'd love to hear from anyone!

Lisa

115 Replies 115
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

Believe it or not - a suggestion from a guest was that we should provide the option of either a) A memory foam matress or b) A sprung mattress on each of our 4/6 beds... Frankly, I don't even know a hotel which even does that!

Over the last year or two guests have changed. I have questioned whether it might be our tolerence level which may have changed, but each time iwe have had to conclude it is just basically the lack of respect and the expectation that because they are 'paying to use' their expectations become 5 star on their 2 star budget.

Sometimes, I'd love to see the places that some of our guests live in to appropriate their expectations...

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0    Re: Mattress options.  I would love to say to people like that – great idea!  How much more, per night, do you think we should charge for it? 

Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

Hi All,

For anyone interested or still looking for relief, I opened a new thread and actually have an inquiry going with the United States Justice Department.  Thread link below, it also shows clearly that Airbnb knows it has problems and even is bribing the BBB to look good while they try to get it sorted, pics included.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Arbitration-Agreement-Fail/m-p/774462#M185517

Linda24
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

My query is how can we alert other hosts to the fact that that particular guest was demanding without dissin' them. I just had a guest who was the MOST exacting person and went out of her way to look for things that were not to her standard. She went above and beyond - I want to let others know but in a gentle way. Suggestions?

The Airbnb review system promotes the passive-aggesive method of saying nice things publically, but leaving low stars privately.  Not a perfect system, but employed by many guests. 

We as hosts can also use this same method against demanding guests.

More importantly Linda, why do you want to be gentle with someone who "went went out of her way to look for things that were not to her standard"?  She doesn't deserve kindness.

Thanks Paul, it is my opinion everyone deserves kindness. 

At the same time I also want to let other hosts know her expectations are very high. I appreciate your feedback, it is helpful and greatly appreciated. Have a wonderful holiday season! 🙂

@Linda24  Demanding guests can be viewed a couple of different ways I think.  Obviously there is the annoyance factor but I also think "exacting" feedback can be useful in paying attention to the details.  Sometimes the guest feedback gives you a perspective that only improves the listing.

As to a review, how does this sound to you...? "X has very exacting expectations and I was pleased to be able to meet most of her demands."  That is a signal to the host about the level of demand.  Also, you can lower the rating in communication to a 3.  Good luck!!

Thank you so much, I like your suggestion - covers the issue quite nicely. Have a wonderful holiday season! 🙂

To some degree, hosts with beautiful places and many features are their own worst enemies.

Females are by far the higher maintenance group. I am a third generation feminist, but as guests they are a PITA  But high maintenance comes in either flavour. 

You can generally see them coming if they ask a lot of questions up front when it is already written. They ask for extra favours and perks. Sometimes they leave a five star, and sometimes they don't. But they always leave you wondering why you bother. 

It's true that they come with the job description. But that is why I dumb down my  descriptions. 

Christine2029
Level 1
Elora, Canada

I feel your pain!!!  Some guests are lovely and appreciative.  I am quick with emails and suggestions etc.  I am the cheapest in town with an entire basement suite (raised bungalow that isn't in the ground) with all new furniture and renovations. I have a custom made barn board furniture with a coffee station (over 20 tea selections and anything you can think of), provide toiletries from the dollar store, snacks...blah blah.  Some guests still complain!!!!????  I am OCD with the area to ensure it is clean and well stocked.  Many offer only a room with shared bathroom for the same price I offer.  Complaints ranging from "area is too dark, next night the next guests complained it was too much light" "I can hear floor squeaking upstairs...woke me up in the morning" "poor value" and the lists goes on.  

My favourite....A guests wanted to book immediately for same day.  She sent the requests at 3:00.  I was sleeping as I was discharged from hospital...no big deal.  She had Airbnb contact me as I didn't respond to her immediately.  I acknowledged her request with additional message at 4:00  "I apologize for the late reply and gave her all the check in info etc."  Messaged her 6 times asking if everything was ok as I was not home.  She called me at 5:00  "How do I get into your house?  Where do I park?!  This is awful!  I am so stressed."  I asked if she received ALL my messages.  She replied she doesn't have any data.  She couldn't read any of my messages.  Anyway, her REVIEW was 3 stars...she loved the place except my communication was poor and she was stressed????!!!!!  That 3 star review will haunt me for awhile the way Airbnb rates their hosts.  I replied to her privately asking why the 3 star as she was the one with no data?! 

Apologize for the rant....Yes, guests can be trying...some take ALL my snacks and freebies that are offered to guests. Mints, kleenex, bandaids... Why?  We are not a large chain to purchase these products.  You can't please everyone.  🙂

Oh man! Yes we have all had snafus.   I send my guests a very detailed checkin run down with a question they must answer.  If I don’t hear from them I send it via a text message to their phone number.   I tried to change my lock to a combination lock ( lock kept jamming) so I’m back to keys in hiding.  

Snack thieves.  I used to provide snacks, not anymore, most people are good but wow I had an older couple take everything!!!! Right in front of me! I was to shocked to speak!  

I provide individual shampoo and soaps,  I buy Root shampoo off of Amazon.  

In November I “themed” my AirBnB .... now only my “tribe” stays here.  I now charge more money and have better reviews.  I got tired of cheap grumps.

keep the faith, you should fight the 3 star!!! AirBnB can look and see that you sent her messages if on the AirBnB platform.