Guests leave no review nor ranking

Laura1455
Level 3
Guadalajara, Mexico

Guests leave no review nor ranking

Hola all, I would like to ask for some tips to encourage guests to leave reviews, I am a new host (3 weeks) and have had some nice reviews though my first couple of guests groups were disappointing.

For first ones, and they knew were the first ones, I left extra supplies of everything, shower towels, food at the kitchen, a welcome basket with some grains bars, bottles of water, cookies, kleenex, a notebook gift, and a bottle of red wine. Additionally I helped them to plan their trip finding info about tours they were interested in, made some calls for reserving for them, I even offered myself to take the lady to the doctor when she found she got sick  on the flight to the town before arriving, gave recommendations on which places to eat for her weak stomach that moment and also found out about football matches they wanted to go to. Also allowed them a very rarly checkin (5 hrs earlier) as they were my first guests

At the minute they entered my place they said it was sooo cute and lovely and really enjoyed the decor, that it had been coziest place they had stayed on uaing Airbnb.

So they left and no review, I told them when leaving if they could leave one for my place and say yes, and did claimd the same the 2 timea I reminded them, one at the 7 days they departed and another one the day before the 14 days limit was taking place, all the timea they said "sure we will be pleased".

Second guests similar story but didnt include the bottl of red wine, worthwhile to say my place is new brand, all amenities are new, and is 4 blocks far from downtown with a very cheap cost that launched it to get more guests at th beginning as there are.other cheaper places atound but without living room, dining room and so bad quality stuff per what you can see at the pics, so I launched my place at th same prucr almost.

I have had more guests but it is very disappointing to go the extra mile and beyond and that folks dont even care about saying "thanks" or posting an small review or ranking.

Does anybody have any suggestion or tip to share ? , in advance, thanks so much !!

36 Replies 36

@Beth191Thanks so much for your input, I thank my guests for their stay and let them know that I will write a review for them, nowadays I have received Reviews from around 70% of the people have hosted, so I think it might be just a matter of keep going and doing my best and also understood that sometimes no matter how or what I do, some  people will simply do not write a Review and that is fine too 🙂
Thanks a lot for taking the time to share your thoughts with me !! 🙂

I usually leave a review of all my guests the day of their check-out or the next day. I cannot see what they have written so what is the difference waiting?

I would like to share my experience with several of my gusts and have your opinion.

The first one booked at 4 p.m. and came in at 6 p.m. - the same day! So I had only 2 hours to get ready but fortunatly I menaged with everything as I am very well organized. Their booking was for 2 days, I have a garage cage and in my listing I wrote that it can be used only from guests staying 5 or more days. My guests asked me to do them the favor and allow them to use my garage cage. I agreed and gave them the garage key. I have free breakfast in the listing and usually I leave plenty of food. They were my first guests to leave the flat without any of my food and coffee left. The second day I asked them if they need some help and their answer was - No, and everything with the flat is SUPER! They ahd a sale price - twice low than my usual. I told them on their departure that I am going to give them the best review because the flat was left very clean. I reminded them after that I have written them the best possible review. And got a 4-star review back! I was shocked because in fact they did not pay me anything for their stay - I wanted just one good review. The food, the heating, the cleaning - all this made the price they paid me and I really thought they would appreciate what they had for free! 

It is a super flat, a super design - wrote my guests - and it is very comfotrable and cozy but we have an advice - the host to buy and put in the flat usuful pans as we only found just a very heavy one.

So I would like to have your opinion on my public answer I wrote back. Did I do a mistake? Was I right to give up to my shock and write not so polite answer? I did not answer that I had in the flat other pans they have not seen, which is the truth. No, because they complained from the most exensive pan - in fact I have two such Cuisiners in my flat. I was furious because I have asked them if they need something and they could have told me they are in need of such and such a pan. My answer was - FUTURE GUESTS - when you are in need of anything, just ask me, I can provide everything you want. This guest gave 4 stars because he found the most expensive pan sold in all markets in the word and he is more suited for a hotel and I do not like to be my guest in future.

Was my public answer a mistake? 

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Lilly28,

I read the review.

And in itself it is a very fine review, with just a single negative point (Being the single heavy pot, which you seem to be very proud of).

We all know that everything beyond a 5-star all over review can be considered as 'bad', as it will impact our star-score negatively. And certainly according to the algorithm of the Airbnb systems.

But you also have to look very factually at the consequences of a review.

- Other prospective guests cannot see the actual stars associated with this particular review.

- Other prospective guests are not aware of any other aspect of a previous guest, other than what was mentioned in their public review.

- Your current star-score on any category is still at least 4,75 or higher.

Obviously I can imagine your frustration. As you really went above and beyond for this guest. Even at a low rate.

Only to find out, that you are getting slapped in the face, at review time - by a somewhat ungrateful guest.

Unfortunately these sort of experiences are things we have to accept, as part of this job.

There are these people that just can't be satisfied, no matter what you do.

I've experienced guests like these before.

And I always count to 10 or sleep a night over it. When the public review does not suit me entirely.

Also be aware, that Airbnb is actually encouraging people to write about the negative aspects (Tell the host/guest what can be improved!)

So I few tips from my side:

- Rule 1: Be aware of the audience of your public reply!

The previous guest: Most likely not. Most future possible guests: Yes!

- Rule 2: Never respond in a public reply on issues/discussions, which have NOT been mentioned by the guest in their public review!

Future guests were not aware that the previous guest gave you a 4-star rating, prior to your public reaction! Now, they are. And they may think: Oops, This host may be quickly offended (As they do not know the entire background).

- Rule 3: Whenever you are publicly criticized, think about it carefully. And try to bend some negative response into something positive.

And as time goes by, you will gather more reviews. So this review will become buried.

Success!

Hi Cor from Netherlands,

Thank you for your help and advices!!!

So I thought, I could just stay silent and evrything would be burried in time. It is not the first time I get in this situation, but at least others did not received as much as these guests.

But I didnt do as I thought - because he is THE FIRST guest from all I had until now ( 50 in numbers, some staying months) who gave me 4-stars overall rating! I had guests giving me one 4-star for something, and most often for location! But the averall rating was always 5-stars! I live in the most expensive area in the capital of Bulgaria, my flat is in one of the most beautiful buildings, the puerest air and so on - but it is not in the center of the town where all the restaurants and coffee shops are one after the other. And the area is not far away from the center - only 3 metro stations away, or 25 minutes by foot. Two food stores are 20 meters from the flat, one of them working 24 hours, two popular restaurants and a playground are also 20 meters from the flat, just across it.  And I am now at the edge of giving the whole thing after investing in the flat all the money I gained for a year and a half from my guests. My revenew is much, much less than if I am going to have usual tenants, and I work heavily for my stars. But if not money, at least you want to receive good stars from guests, you want to have at least something back, am I not right?

And things are getting worst now as more and more foreigners are buying cheap properties for nothing more but to give them to AirBnB through agressive firms,  and getting the money out of Bulgaria ... I liked the idea first, it was meant at the beginning to support locals and local business, but now as AirBnB is more prone to work with firms... Well, please, give me your opinion on that.     

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Lilly28,

Getting 5-star reviews can be somewhat addictive.

But no matter what you do, you will get a lower review sooner or later.

Or you will meet your ‘guest from hell’, that can’t be pleased no matter what you do!

I would almost say, the guests that get the best deal. Are typically the ones that leave the worst reviews.

But it works the other way around as well!

I’ve had guests finding dirty/used dishes in the cupboards. And they didn’t complain at all.

And gave us consequently a 5-star on cleanliness!

They just made a remark: We put them in the dishwasher, and that was it.

Ps.

The only constant in life is: change.

@Cor Hi Cor again,

Thank you for your advices, thanks again and again!

Now I have the following question - Do you think that it is a good idea guests who do not leave a review - say for 3 consecutive bookings - to suspend penalty by substracting one of their stars - and vice versa for hosts not reviewing guests? 

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Lilly28,

I don’t think this would be a good idea.

Some people just don’t do reviews.

I must say, I hate the majority of review requests too.

We use a transfer service to and from our apartment: Excellent company.

But their review mechanism is terrible.

You always get 2 requests for reviews, and when you try to fill them in. The review mechanism is demanding you to put in extra effort – in order to finish the review?

So nowadays, these review request are automatically ‘binned’, with me.

HiOnline Community Manager @Willow and Cor from Netherland,

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Lilly28,

The issue is a bit off topic, but nevertheless.

We use special protection covers on all our beds. To avoid fluids, etc. to enter the matrasses.

It's not only to protect our beds for spoils left by young children.

Adults can spoil fluids as well in bed!

Although guests may be very flattering in their comments.

Always make sure that they cannot do things, which will cause you a problem in the end.

I would not ask them to leave earlier (as it looks like it, you already had a bit of a confrontation with them over hanging out the sheet).

So this may add some tensions. And then they will get back to you - in their review.

I don't know your situation. So I cannot judge whether 6 and a half hour is sufficient for you to take care of everything (for us it would, I suppose).

It also depends on who is coming in the next group (Will these guests need all the beds, etc?)

Before guests arrive, I always ask some logistical questions. In an attempt to avoid these type of situations.

Obviously sometimes it is difficult. As it is not a guarantee that a child by the age of 7 sleeps dry. And usually the parents will not inform you either. As it might be a bit embarrassing.

Similar things may happen to adults as well, after having been in the pub for too long.

Getting some coverage from the deposit, may also be a bit of an issue here.

Did they break any house-rules?

Maybe you can make an appointment with the current guest, to ‘see’ them out tomorrow.

And while you are there, you can do a quick inspection – as they are getting their stuff.

Once you notice there is really damage. Maybe you can discuss this with the guests, while they are still there.

Ps.

No guest will take as good care of your property – as yourself!

Success!

@Cor3

Thanks a lot for your help and advices!!

They left the house in PERFECT, really PERFECT condition! I ordered them a taxi, they left a bit confused, I may say. I asked the mother what was the problem with the sheet just before departure - and did the child get wet at night. She answered me - No, it was just water.

After washing the linen I have seen that this sheet has a stain - maybe from juce or some fruit. I woud not bother for such minor thing, they left the flat perfetly clean!

Cor, it was my first experience with children in the flat. I can accomodate 4 adults and 2 children, but I do not know if parents would be glad with my children beds and also the flat is no good for children under 4 and a half or 5 years old.

I was so happy with these guests - the child so sweet, the father so intelligent, the mother so kind = I am afraid now of their review - as I so much liked them - although I had one day difficult time not knowing what is going on. I am going to leave them the best possible review, as this  small accident is not worth to be mentioned. It is a difficult time for the parents, we also have been young...

Please, give me any advice how to welcome guests with children, if you have such experience. 

Cor3
Level 10

Hi @Lilly28,

It is still a bit off-topic, but nevertheless.

For any visit, regardless of who: Be prepared (there are challenges in everything).

Think about: What did the guest mention and what did the guest NOT mention.

When our guests arrive by (rental) car; The advantage: they HAVE flexibility, The disadvantage: they ARE flexible.

Maybe you have an acquaintance who is a mother to young children.

If that’s the case, then you can ask her to ‘vet’ your accommodation for potential dangers to young children (to avoid a potential ‘blind spot’ or ‘colored’ view of your own accommodation).

When you invest, always think about how ‘fool-proof’ it is.

This year we bought some very nice beach matrasses – and we even had them treated to avoid stains.

But when they were treated, the workman already mentioned that the treatment was not sufficient to protect them from sun cream spoils 😞 In other words: We have to think again.

From what I read in your message, I suppose you are afraid that your place is maybe not safe enough to very young children.
When that is the case: Think about how you can avoid dangerous situations.

Another example: We’ve equipped the cupboard containing hazardous cleaning material, with a magnetic lock. And we are in the process of preparing our balcony fences, so we can avoid children climbing or crawling through the fences.

But most important of all: Make the parents aware that they are in charge of the safety of their young children! And they should keep an eye on them throughout their stay!

As you simply cannot avoid just everything!

Oh, and the review of the recent guests: I suppose it will be just fine.

They treated your place perfectly. My experience: Guests that have shown true respect to your property, they will show respect to you and your accommodation in the review – as well.

Obviously, there are always exceptions.

And since it already happened, there is nothing much else you can do about it.

Success.

@Lilly28 - you ask... "Was my public answer a mistake? "

Simple answer - yes.  

So often I see hosts going above and beyond what they feel is reasonable for their guests... and then get bent out of shape when the guests don't trip over themselves with gratitude.  These are not strangers stranded in a storm that we open our homes to out of the goodness of our hearts... they are paying customers.  This is a business contract.  They paid, they treated your space well, they fullfilled their end fo the contract.  IF a host exceeds their contractual responsibilites - it is their choice to do so and it is on them, and the guests do not owe them anything extra.  

It matters not what price a guest paid, they don't set the prices.  

A side note - I woud take that special pan out of the space and keep it for personal use only.  It seems very special to you, and I would hate for it to be stolen/damaged. 

Hi Willow in Coupenville,

Thanks for your advice!!!

As for the pan - no, I am not going to take it away. But I am going to share my thought with you after seeing where is Couperville, I am just interested to know.

@Lilly28 - as an enthusastic cook - I'm curious about this pan!  I may need one in my life!  

Whenever you do for such guests - you will not have reviews. I am telling you that not from my personal experience, but from that of my two very good friends, using AirBnB for most than 5 years. They have been trevelling a lot but never, never had left a review. I asked them - Why - the answer is - no time, we gave the money and now have other interests. The only way things to go better with such guests is either to give some award for living reviews or guests not leaving a review to get some kind of penalty.