HELPFUL TIP: How I Go About Choosing the Right Guest For Us

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

HELPFUL TIP: How I Go About Choosing the Right Guest For Us

Hi Fellow Hosts....

I was asked to post this on the CC by Airbnb to show other hosts how I go about choosing which guests gets a CONFIRMED BOOKING.  (I decline about 20% of my booking requests every month as I am sure you can understand why) - plus some people prove to me they will not be a great guests just by choosing to ignore my 10 questions but continue to ask me questions that are easily answered had they read my completed listing....and we are totally ok with that, because other hosts need bookings too and not everyone is gonna be a good match.  Our listing is for a PRIVATE ROOM in our 4 bedroom 1600sq foot home. 

To date, I have helped over 100+ hosts compile their own 5-10 questions.  Each one loves how its working for them already.  And so do the guests.  One host even showed me the answers she received from her first guests which included the guests gratitude towards this host for taking the time to find out what the guests needs were prior to their arrival with her 10 questions, (which of course are different but some similar to mine)

The answers I receive are also very telling about who has read my listing, looked at my photos, and how respectful they will be in my home.  (yes, some guests have even written back saying...."Wait, What?  You have a Cat?" - still shaking my head over those.  

FYI - In my listing, I talk about our awesome cat in 3 places and even have a photo in Position #5).

************Momi's 10 Questions for Potential Guests************

Thank you  __guest name____  & __guest name____ for taking the time to fill out these questions. I'm sure you can understand that we have to be very careful about who stays with us in OUR HOME.  These questions are meant to help us get to know you, find out your needs, and to ensure that we will be the best fit for each other as host and guests.  Honest answers are required, but humorous replies are welcomed too. 

1. Pls tell us ONE reason why you chose our place.

2. What are your plans during your 6 night stay? (Day & night)

3. Do you like dogs and cats?

4. You will be receiving our HOUSE MANUAL from Airbnbs' confirmed booking through your email. (after your booking is confirmed)
PLEASE be sure to read it as soon as possible. Let me know if you have any concerns or questions. I always reply very quickly. (This is not the same as our House Rules)  

5. Are you interested in my "Real Hawaii" private tour? Need airport pick up and/or drop off?

6. Are you planning to drink alcohol at our home? Which is totally fine, but no excessiveness will be permitted.

7. Do you need a rental car?
I have fantastic idea that will save you significant money. Just need your email address to send you the link to the app PLUS $25 of free promo money to help you get started.

8. Have you stayed in a PRIVATE ROOM inside a Family Home before with Airbnb?  If so, how was the experience?

9. Do you consider yourself a neat and clean person? And your husband? girlfriend? partner? friend?

10. Do you enjoy a gorgeous Sunsets? I know a secret spot near my home 😉

(if you would like to borrow some comfortable chairs to watch it, just let us know, I even supply wine glasses & corkscrew)

Mahalo for getting back to me. I would like to receive these answers very soon to move forward in your booking request. Should only take 1-2 mins. Unless you write a lot like me - lol, - Aloha, Momi

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

32 Replies 32

@Karen-and-Will0   HI!!!! Seems great minds think alike bc I have been asked by many others hosts, friends, Airbnb guests to submit the "Momi Experience" to Airbnb.  hahaha.  Actually, the first one to say something was my Oct 2016 guests, an Airbnb executive from Headquarters, San Francisco who stayed with us, along with his sweet funny wife.  He was the first one to "hint" at what was coming up with the company especially bc I do provide a 7.5 hour private tour, titled "the REAL HAWAII,  to my guests to learn everything about Hawai'i, taste Hawaiian food, visit cultural places that even tour buses don't take ppl to, visit 3-4 farms, (coffee, macadamia nuts, orchids, Hawaiian vegetables), swimming at hidden secret beach, and of course many other things that I won't share here because its always my goal to surprise our guests. I don't even show everything on Instagram because I know guests will "stalk" it before they come. LOL  - Since August 2016, I have gotten 7 bookings from Instagram because the folks see the "experience" with other guests.   Some are pretty hilarious videos too.  

And to address Instant Bookings...even those guests are required to answer my 10 questions.  And yes, there were 3 recent

InstaBook Bookings that had to be moved ....why you ask?  Because they hadn't bother to read my listing about my pets....nor look at my photos, but once they got my 10 questions, one of them being about my pets, everything changed........so of course Airbnb moved them to another place with a full refund. You would think if a guests had a cat allergy they would want to spend the 2-3 minutes necessary to read a host perfectly written listing.  Imagine my surprise to find out that one of those IB bookings was an actual Airbnb Host!!!  Tsk Tsk Tsk on him.  Right? hahaha

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. And for sharing your thoughts.  Perhaps you would like to come visit and have one of my Momi Marvelous Mango Margaritas that is a part of the Momi experience?!  😉

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Nancy245
Level 1
Leamington, Canada

Wonderful advice!  Thank you so much for Sharing your questionnaire with us newbies!  It is important for us to remember that it is our home that guests are using and it is important that we know that our space will be respected.  The questions will help open  up the conversation and knowing who is in your house will help me be comfortable with the decision.

Ryan63
Level 9
Packwood, WA

I appreciate what you're trying to do, but I wouldn't respond to your questions, and I think I'm a pretty great guest.  I'd probably look for another property.  

I'm reticent about accepting guests who have no reviews or flimsy verifications.  Declining them is simple enough, but there's a cost: You'll drop about 10-20 places in search results.  That algorithm seems pretty unfair. 

I think you're better off clearly and thoroughly expressing your expectations in your listing instead of asking your guests to go through what probably feels more like an inquisition than an ice breaker.  Justified or not, that feeling will invariably color their overall experience.  

You're not likely to get honest answers to some of these questions, and asking if someone is interested in your tour or has plans to rent a car--even if you have only good intentions--has a whiff of quid-pro-quo that will probably offend some.  

I think the place to screen guests is in your listing.  I state in no ambiguous terms that anything that looks, sounds, or feels like a party on my property is sure to result in eviction.  That's the first few lines of my "house rules" section, and it's above the fold: Nobody needs to do any clicking or scrolling to see it.  90 guests in, I've had no problems. 

"I'm reticent about accepting guests who have no reviews or flimsy verifications.  Declining them is simple enough, but there's a cost: You'll drop about 10-20 places in search results.  That algorithm seems pretty unfair."

I agree one hundred percent with this.  I always thought there was a punishment aspect to declining requests and you just confirmed that, thanks. 

Yes, ABB seems pretty schizophrenic in their policies.  They push instant book and yet ask someone to post about how often they decline requests and here's how you decline....   Whaaat?

@Ryan63  Thank you for your feedback.  I find some of what you wrote a bit interesting in that you say I should put most of that in my listing.....are you talking about the listing that so many guests don't bother to read in its entirety?  Including an ABB host of 5 years who used IB to book my place for 5 nights?  That listing?!?  FYI - all of my pertinent questions relate to what is already written in my listing....that's my point....most are NOT reading.  I made myself quite clear in my original topic post that ONE of the many reasons I send those questions is basically for the many people that use IB on my listing and haven't bothered to read that I have pets nor do they look at my clear photos.  People are more inclined to read my messages/questions on their ABB account then to read the entire listing. This is what I am finding.  And I have to say goodbye to that IB booking.  (99% bc of dog/cat allergy or fear issues)

Speaking of whiffing the quid-pro-quo, I have not had one guests yet that was remotely offended.  Actually, quite the opposite ,as I clearly mentioned in my replies on this thread.  And I have enjoyed reading every single guests responses including the couple from Russia last night who both wrote their individual answers to my questions....making me grin the entire time.  That's my point....I want to host who I want to host in our home....you have your way of choosing, I have mine.  And I can definitely assure you that my declines have in no way affected my placement. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. 

Aloha, Momi

I'm only telling you what works for me, and how I would respond to your questionnaire.  

I believe people do read my house rules.  I also provide an online guest book that covers all that stuff.  I virtually never have problems.  

You seem to have made up your mind about how you want to address a problem or series problems that I'm simply not having.  It seems to be working for you.  That's great.

I believe succinctly communicating expectations in my listing is doing the trick, and providing a similarly succinct and simple-to-navigate guest book online is something people seem to appreciate.  

It seems obvious, but perhaps necessary to explain anyway: The people telling you your car rental and tour offers are great a) aren't likely to tell you the truth even if they believe otherwise, and b) are self-selecting.  

I'm glad you're succeeding.  

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Greetings from London

With the greatest respect, I'd run a mile on reading these questions as a would-be guest.

From my perspective (and yes we're all different) I find them patronising, even passive-aggressive. We wouldn't be a great match 🙂

I too have many (160+) five-star reviews from my time on Airbnb (private room also), but without putting my guests though the ordeal you do. 

Horses for courses, right? 

PS. Are you aware that 'capitalised' (or shouty) words are harder to read than had they been written correctly? 

Gordon I think you hit the nail right on the head. While I understand that we all need to find a way to select the right guests, The first word that came to my head when reading was presumptuous. But I guess at the end of the day the object is met; for persons to also evaluate the host also and decided if this person is right for them. In addition to your spot-on comments, I agree with others that some question appear to be unnecessary for the host's initial evaluation of their guest. I would put some as part of the welcome message after the guest has booked.

Overall however to each his own. But to my other hosts, possibly new ones, this I cannot personally endorse this, as I think you will lose possible great guests and revenues. 

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Hey, we can all decide who we want in our homes.  If you live in a place like Hawaii or where I am (Las Vegas), if you are priced correctly you can turn people away and still do well.  If you are in it for fun and to meet others of like mindedness, then having a questionaire seems appropriate.  I probably have 80% of my bookings from people who have never used Airbnb before and have only had one awful experience.  Honestly,  I hope my guests check in, get a good night's sleep, then head out and enjoy the sights.  I am not really concerned if someone's likes and personality is a fit for me because most people are here to see sights or attend a conference or enjoy their vacation for a night or two or several.  I barely see most people once I check them in, which is how I want my experience of hosting to be.  Obviously the woman who posted feels the opposite and wants to be an active participant in her guest's stay, which is fine- and the guest definately gets that message with her questionaire.  Thus, the 'weeding out' process for both her and her guests.  Great thing about Airbnb is that we can all decide how we want to be as guests and hosts and we can pick which is the best fit for us.

I do find it funny that Airbnb talks about not discriminating and they are pushing Instant Book yet they ask someone to post how they discriminate (pardon me--decline)...even if it's 20% of the time.  I think the idea here was to invigorate and push the negativity from newer hosts and incorporate some ideas on how people can still have plenty of bookings and not use Instant Book, since that is a choice, while it may not be a choice they want you to chose, it is a choice and you can be successful without it if you are priced correctly.

I still feel a host's success in Airbnb comes down to price, regardless of the algorythms, whether or not you are Superhost, where you are located, etc.  If you are priced well, you will be full, if that's what you want to be.  It's all about what your choices are as a host and what your own personal preferences are.  One thing about hosting using Airbnb is that you have a lot of choices and you can always change and tweek and try something, if it doesn't work, try another choice.  

Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Momi0

I really enjoy your contributions to the CC. If I hosted in my own home I would certainly take on this advice and devise a set of questions to fit with my situation. I see a lot of value in this, which has clearly been your experience too. I see there have been some negative responses to this idea, but I wonder if those hosts are getting bogged down in the detail on your writing style or the questions, which don't match their own. I think what we need to take away from this post is "the concept", because it's all part of a bigger picture. 

And yes- I DO like sunsets! And if a host kindly surprised me with the magnificence of an Hawaiian one they would certainly win my heart! 

Crustt0
Level 5
Apollo Bay, Australia

@Momi0, I would also run a mile once I got your questionaire, selling rental cars? You come across as a bit to much ego for me, I know it's a super host thing LOL.

@Crustt0 , I don't think it's a superhost thing: there are many, many  superhosts here, me included, who hardly ever  mention it nor bring it up at every opportunity. Once you follow Airbnb rules, keep your listing in order  and don't screw up majorly, the superhost badge practically falls into your lap.  I don't consider it a big deal, just something  Airbnb invented to make hosts strive for those 5star reviews. Most guests don't even know what it is and it certainly is not part of their decision making process. 

TMcribs0
Level 2
Cebu City, Philippines

Hello Everyone

I would like to quietly add my 2 cents worth to this topic.  In my opinion the reason something as great as Airbnb exists is because people like getting a little personal and a little more human.  For hosts Airbnb is an oportunity to do what you want to do the way you want to do it.  It's advice Momi has shared based on her personality, style and character.  Choose from it what might work for you.  If nothing feels right for the way you host then fine, move on.

We are not hotels, there are rules but not about how you choose to express your style of hosting.  I think a lot of folks here are missing 1 point and that is that this is Momi's style of hosting.   

Thank you.

Hey @Momi0, thanks for sharing this useful tip.

I have started with 6 Questions as of now and it has helped me make better choices and also educate the guests who don't pay much attention to the lisiting details.

1) What do you plan to do in Panchgani during your stay & is this your first visit?

2) Whom are you visiting with? Friends/Family/Colleagues?

3) Have you read the house rules, entire listing description and seen all the photos?

4) Would you like to have lunch on Arrival and have you read the menu and associated limitations?

5) Would you be accompanied by a driver, nanny or pets?

6) Which city are you visiting from?

How these questions help me:

1) Based on their plan, I can provide them tips about sight-seeing, indoor activities. If they are coming for a celebration, I can plan a surprise cake and warn them about music volume.

2) This is for my refernece to understand if my place is more popular amongst families or groups of young tourists or corporates.

3) This is just to ensure that they ask relevant questions only and save time for both of us.

4) This helps me arrange the supplies and let my cook know so that they get fresh, hot food on time.

5) We do not have a separate facility for servants, drivers, nannies so in case they are accompanied by either, I need the guests to add them as an extra person in the booking request. We have a separate cleaning fee for pets which I need to add in case they are visiting with pets.

6) This helps me send them the best route and public transport options to arrive at our place.

I'm sure this tip is going to help other hosts too.

Aloha!

Jeet

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

I think this is a great topic for a "Helpful Tip" - thanks @Momi0 for sharing your questionnaire with us. I think you've hit on the perfect balance & it's working beautifully for you - you have questions that screen guests as well as convey your unique personality and hosting style, so the screening goes both ways, resulting in guests who are almost certainly guaranteed to be a good fit for you. Very well done! - Karen