Had a refund for a reservation, but neither me or my host cancelled the trip. What is happening?

Nia-Bethan0
Level 1
Llandeilo, United Kingdom

Had a refund for a reservation, but neither me or my host cancelled the trip. What is happening?

I cant understand why I have had a refund for a trip but neither me or the host have cancelled the trip and the trip is neither coming up cancelled on laptop or phone app. Can anyone help?

8 Replies 8

@Nia-Bethan0   Best to contact Airbnb, Twitter is usually quickest. Airbnb may have cancelled it for whatever reason or it could be a glitch,  but talk to Airbnb before doing anything.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Airbnb cancelled it, @Nia-Bethan0. No other explanation.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Nia-Bethan0, this is confusing.

@Ange2 and @Marzena4, she has said that the trip does NOT show as being cancelled, so it seems a little bit different than the usual "AirBnB has cancelled the trip" situation.

The advice to contact AirBnB directly still stands though.

It would be interesting to us why the trip still shows as being active to you.

@Matthew285 When Airbnb cancels anything, it may be a direct action on their database, not going through the type of scripts and forms we use from the user's level. And then the question how it all updates and keeps compatibility arises. Hence, such glitches might appear. Or, yet again, it might have something to do with Airbnb's aggressive cookies.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
April3
Level 5
South Lake Tahoe, CA

@Nia-Bethan0 This is intersting, and confusing. I also had a guest who booked today, send me a mesage  (today as well, approximately 6 hours ago) saying that they got an email from Airbnb saying the reservation was cancelled, even though their payment went through.

The reservation still says confirmed on my end as host, and hers as guest. I wonder if it is some type of glitch in the system. I did instruct her to contact Airbnb, but looks like I'll do so as well to make sure everything is fine.

@April3@Nia-Bethan0, you know, on the AirBnB subreddit, a person (supposedly from AirBnB) did state that the AirBnB system was down.

The user "AnotherAirbnbAdvisor" said:

"Not you, the service was down!

It should be back up now, or slowly being restored :)"

I wonder if this is related...

This could be related. As the system was probably down it was still allowing me to try and book but some bookings never fully went through on my end. Would they have gone through air Bnb end and now I’m having refund and cancellations for perhaps trying to book a place a couple of times? 

Nia-Bethan0
Level 1
Llandeilo, United Kingdom

All these thoughts sound right. Does anyone know how to contact air bnb direct, as I keep getting the help centre and whether any of the answers already given help, but there isnt an answer to this question. Do they have an email?