Has a guest ever changed your perspective/outlook on life?

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Has a guest ever changed your perspective/outlook on life?

Quite naturally, there tends to be a lot of posts in the CC about guests who aren’t as positive as we’d like, and situations that could be better- and huge amounts of support from amazing hosts!

I’m sure everyone has had some amazing experiences with guests through their time hosting- we probably just talk about them less- so I thought I’d share a couple of mine with you:

-I hosted a couple from Mexico who were on the final leg of a European road trip and spent 3 nights with me. We were chatting over breakfast, I said I bet they didn’t want to go home!

One of them said he COULD NOT wait to get back to work, as he missed it so much! I looked totally shocked, and he said he loves his job so much and feels so much passion for it he doesn’t feel like he works at all....the next day I updated my CV and started looking for a new job!

-I hosted an artists assistant who was visiting London to set up a piece of work for the artist she works for, and she invited me to have a walk round the exhibition before the private view and opening.

It was an exhibition of various video artists, the space was HUGE and there was no one there apart from me, it was so empty!  I sat and watched one work which was a video piece of a film of a band playing the same song over and over- I sat in that room for half an hour watching it and got so lost in it I came out feeling amazing about life.

My guest helped me to discover a part of London that was totally deserted (at least in that pre-opening moment) that I would never have found myself and it felt like magic!

Have you hosted guests that have changed your perspective or outlook on life in a positive way? I’d be glad to hear your stories.

Paul 🙂 

52 Replies 52

I think Lizzie did the right thing deleting my post. She understands the influence of this forum on its members far better than I ever will. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for your understanding, @Hugh0. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Hugh0 @Lizzie

Yeah my comments didn't help either Hugh and I fully ok with Lizzie taking them off.

Of course they would have been seen as humour....but I guess that's what happens when you chase a few thumbs up, the humour can get a bit close to the bone!

I have a listing I have to go and service, keep up your great work Hugh, as a hosting icon, you are up there with the Harbour bridge mate!

Cheers......Rob

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks so much @Paul1255 for starting this topic,  it is so enjoyable to read all the many stories and learnings hosts have had with their guests. 

I hope others will share theirs... 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You’re welcome @Lizzie so enjoyable 🙂 I’m sure there are many more to come.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

My husband and I recently hosted a group relocating family members to an assisted living facility.  The daughter has gardianship of her parents.  This stopped me in my tracks as my husband is older than her dad and I am very close in age to her mom.   Both parents have dementia.  Mom is easily confused.  Her verbals skills are limited and if left alone, she wonders off.  Otherwise, she is very healthy.  Dad is in early stage dementia and still able to care for himself but not offer much help to his wife.  He often becomes agitated and is unhappy to leave his home.

While visiting with the daughter, it was clear she was suffering as much with the decision to move ther parents to the facility as they were with being placed there.  No matte how nice or well staffed, it still isn't your own home.

How would I handle the situation if I were unable to care for myself or my husband?  We all want  to be independent and self sufficient.  But will that always be the case?   

Thanks for sharing this @Linda-And-Richard0 it must have been really difficult for them all- and clearly got you thinking and considering things for the future.

My mum is in her 70s now and still works a few days a week with people living with dementia and their families- and often has some funny stories, but plenty of heart-wrenching ones. 

I know if I get to a stage where I can’t care for myself I’d want someone looking after me who was patient and understanding and had full respect for the person I used to be- even if they never had the pleasure to see that themselves.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Paul1255 I absolutely love your topic. As many people here have already said,  it's not one guest who has changed my outlook, but all of the guests I've hosted.

When I started hosting, I wondered if I'd be able to cope with hosting guests, and if they would make me crazy. I'm not an introvert exactly, but I sometimes find it challenging to meet new people. Give me a warm room and I'm fine, but new people every day? I wasn't sure...

But I started doing it anyways. I thought that hosting might make me dislike dealing with people, but it's been exactly the opposite: it has blown me away how many lovely people there are out there, and how much trust they place with me, and how much trust I'm able to give them. Hosting has really restored my faith in humanity: people are largely good, and want to do the right thing. I love hosting, and I'm glad that I set aside my concerns and just took the plunge. There has been so much more good than bad to it, and I would have missed out on meeting many nice, interesting people.

Hi @Alexandra316 so glad to hear that hosting has restored your faith in humanity, and you love doing it!

Like you, I’m a bit of an introvert- but I must say I’m fine on my own territory 🙂 

Here’s to many more wonderful guests and experiences for the rest of 2018.

Deji2
Level 2
Lagos, Nigeria

Thanks for sharing your stories.

I have only just joined Airbnb and have no stories yet, but I look forward to a totally rewarding experience with Airbnb, my guests and the community.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Best wishes for your first guests @Deji2 ! If you need any support or advice you know where to come 🙂

Many thanks, Paul. I look forward to participating in this community.

Best.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hi @Paul1255

My compliments on this interesting and thoughtful topic!

Honestly speaking, there is not an specific guest that changed my perspective on life.

Anyway, the fact that as a host I have been in contact with so many people from different parts of the world and different countries  it has given me a more comprehensive view about people from different nationalities. I also believe that, they also leaves my country, more specifically my city, having  a more comprehensive view.

What I have learned from the experience as a host is that - The great majority of people are very friendly and polite. Very good people.

What has somewhat changed my outlook on life is what I have learned from travelling to other cities in my country and to many different countries on earth. I like traveling when I can.

I like the famous quote of Mark Twain:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."

I like the following thought of Saint Augustine, as well.
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @J-Renato0 totally agree with you, the majority of people are friendly polite and are good people.

I love that quote at the end so much. Speaking of travelling, I need to visit Rio to see if carnival time there is better than in Trinidad.....  🙂

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Paul1255 How really thoughtful and thought provoking of you with this topic! What a sweet treat to read of what touches hosts and guests and makes an impact. One of my guest "A" helped me understand my world better and how to traverse it with much more ease. "A" is a medically wounded warrior that hikes for his life. His brain injury has him very close to the edge very often and medication doesn't keep everything in check - so he hikes - I'm not talking about a stroll around the block - I mean thousands of miles walking, hiking. I met him on the tail end of a 1001 mile hike from the southern most part of Florida to Pensacola - the hiking boots with huge holes in them all torn up hang on the fence as a reminder of his journey and my life each day. He had a profound impact in helping me - you see we both have suffered with PTSD - his a physical brain trauma with war and I had a traumatic experience that caused PTSD - (I'm doing really good now) 2 yrs later! "A" sat and talked and listened and helped me understand what no one can help with UNLESS they too have experienced it- It was life changing for me to have atleast one person that "truly gets it" - family and friends just want you to "get over it", "just be great" and it pushes you far from these people and into a corner of isolation - "A" acknowledged me and what I was living with each day and the horror of NOT being able to flip a switch to make it go away. I so appreciate and feel for  how all those that suffer with ptsd- because you only want it to stop - and unfortunately so many make it stop. Before our meeting I figured his suffering was legitimate and since I wasn't in battle what I suffered wasn'tlegitimate and I should be able to control and stop it.  so I made the struggle not better but more difficult. We had breakfast / coffee and sat in a cafe for a few hours talking, sobbing (me) and listening, sitting and it helped lift the veil of trauma that I seemed trapped in alone. So I have a bond with this good man (he has a lovely wife and new baby) and we probably will never meet again but he helped me more than he could know. You see, some things you just can never explain no matter how hard you try - it is indeed wonderful to sleep again and laugh and want to have fun. There's a brief story of my journey "From Tragedy to Superhost" - from PTSD to AIRBNB if you are so inclined to read it online. God has truly blessed my world and my life and I'm indeed grateful to be part of this CC with you folks - it is a blessing to share. Thanks @Paul1255 for this topic......hugs and happy hosting, Clara