Help! What to write for review?

Kim-and-Jen0
Level 10
Oslo, Norway

Help! What to write for review?

Hi All

I have trouble to putting things into words and I dont want to sound harsh or hurt the guests feeling.

I have a couple staying with us for 5 days. They are cleary not familiar with airbnb concept. On the first day, the wife was very pushy and demanding during breakfast, she was almost sounds like ordering me to make them omelette, she went to our private area and also went to other spare rooms. She did not bother about our privacy which made me feel very uncomfortable. I dont know what to write on the review. They are not bad people, the husband was friendly and very polite, but I really have mix feeling about this. I really dont like people to enter the rooms without permission or giving me order to do this and that. 😞

Any suggestions?

19 Replies 19
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kim-and-Jen0 @Andrea9

Hi guys, I have made quite a big deal with the house rules! I even have the current weather forecast for the next 7 days, walking trails, 6 pages on wineries in the area, shopping, reastaurants.....a page devoted to the local taxi services with a pocket for business cards....and of course, the house rules and how to run the various appliances in the cottage.

Nobody takes offence to it....in fact most comment on what a lot of good information they gleaned from it. Some have said it made for good reading, but, you can bet you are never going to please everyone.....no matter what you do.

I thought the taxi page was a good addition....

IMG20170503142204 b.jpg

Until a guest showed me what some previous guest had thought of it.....

IMG20170503142740 b.jpg

So....in short, it is not 'rude' to print house rules but.....it doesn't matter what you do, you are never going to make everyone happy!!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4

Wow, I think its good idea!, the binder with all information!

@Kim-and-Jen0

"Do you think it's rude to print out the houserules and post it in the room? I do not want to offend anyone. ;)"

On the room I rent out I have a binder with:

a) A print out version of the house's rules

b) A guide of the A/C remote (how to program it, which button turns off the display light, etc)

c) A map of the area and my personal recommendations

d) A list of extras we offer (body treatments, tai-chi classes, etc)

And yes, taking the time to do a full house tour of what's okay and what's not is a must, whether you're living and renting the same property or not.

Cheers!

@Momi0

It was my first experience to encounter this situation. It was shocking for me. While I made them tea the wife just went around and open all the doors went to every room and went to the other side of apartment where we lived. I was so speechless. and the other things that made me speechless was the wife boss me around the house. I did tell them nicely and politely, still I am not comfortable to host. Sometimes people from different place have different lifestyle or way of living, but it doesnt mean that they can just go to someone's else home and apply it there. I am still learning to handle different kind situations I hope I am getting better. I am holding my breathe still. 🙂

George154
Level 2
Stuart, FL

It's a business arrangement; their fee doesn't allow them total access - -especially if you explain that on your listing.  I think if you lay it all out on your listing -- your expectations of what their conduct should be; what areas of your space are accessible to your guests, etc.

-- then when they violate your rules, you will be able to gently remind them of these expectations without hurting anyone's feelings -- especially your own!!  It is YOUR place, after all.  They'll be gone soon, and you want to have a good memory, not dwell on a disastrous one.