Help! What to write for review?

Kim-and-Jen0
Level 10
Oslo, Norway

Help! What to write for review?

Hi All

I have trouble to putting things into words and I dont want to sound harsh or hurt the guests feeling.

I have a couple staying with us for 5 days. They are cleary not familiar with airbnb concept. On the first day, the wife was very pushy and demanding during breakfast, she was almost sounds like ordering me to make them omelette, she went to our private area and also went to other spare rooms. She did not bother about our privacy which made me feel very uncomfortable. I dont know what to write on the review. They are not bad people, the husband was friendly and very polite, but I really have mix feeling about this. I really dont like people to enter the rooms without permission or giving me order to do this and that. 😞

Any suggestions?

19 Replies 19
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kim-and-Jen0

If you think that it was just down to them not understanding the AirBnB concept etc, then give them a brief ok review, but in your private feedback mention to them that the really need to respect boundaries and privacy when using AirBnB.

@Gerry-And-Rashid0

Have you ever experience this? How did you handle them when they are at home?

Thank you so much for the replied!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Kim-and-Jen0

"Guests were newcomers to the Airbnb experience and not familiar with how it differs from a fully-serviced hotel. Once they have more experience with Airbnb they are sure to be very good guests for private hosting."

@Andrea9

thanks so much Andrea. Have you experienced this? How did you handle them when they were around?

hehe tnx @Andrea9 this goes in my saved comments 🙂

@Andrea9   @Kim-and-Jen0   

This is exactly why I give my guests a 5 -7 mins tour from the outside of the house to the inside of our home explaining everything to them as we go but always making them feel welcomed.  One of the places we talk about is our backyard.  We don't want our guests going to our backyard possibly falling on our daughters things, stepping on the occasional dog poop, lol, or getting hit on the head by a mango that falls from our tree in abundance.   I think it would really help a lot of hosts (new or seasoned) to spend some quality time at check in, it would make such a difference. I greet my guests every single time with either Hawaiian juice or hot tea (depending on arrival time) giving them a chance to sit down and learn about our Airbnb home to ensure a smooth stay for everyone also so they don't make the mistake of going to areas they shouldn't like my office (yes its happened before, more then once)  shocking huh?  Door Sign even says:  Private: Momi's office. (now I have a lock)

Had the lock installed after I came home to find one of my guests in MY OFFICE using my computer to check in online with their airlines.  Who does that???? Perhaps they read my office sign and thought it said:  "Enter my private office and use my private computer." lol  - yes they lost a Star over that. 

Gotta meet my friend at the gym...hope you  @Andrea9 are doing well.  Coming to Hawaii soon?  (smiles)

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Kim-and-Jen0

No, happy to say I've never had that problem. Only thing I've experienced over time were misunderstandings of encountering somebody having been in my kitchen to warm something up or being there to fill their water bottles (because they didn't trust the water from the faucets upstairs, haha). Or the guests who left their suitcases outside their space in my studio area.

I told them in a nice, friendly and kind way that the kitchen isn't part of the rental and left the suitcase guests a little note saying 'so sorry, had to move your things out of the way to work'. It wasn't a big deal. Yet each time I learn something and add to my check-in tour or will make sure that the luggage is brought into the guest room. 

Important is to **bleep** things in the bud and not let them go on and on. You learn as you go, and being the firm and friendly person enforcing your own rules, not afraid to address issues is part of the hosting job. Never assume anything is one major given I've learned over time.

I saw the review idea in a post by another host a long time ago. 

Hey @Momi0 - hi!! all good here, thanks! Hope the mango cocktails are still strong on the menu 😉 and all well with you in beautiful Hawaii! Alas, the trip isn't in the planning yet... 

Cheers, Andrea

@Andrea9

Do you think it's rude to print out the houserules and post it in the room? I do not want to offend anyone. 😉

@Kim-and-Jen0

"Do you think it's rude to print out the houserules and post it in the room? I do not want to offend anyone. ;)"

Put yourself in the mental position that you are running a business, maybe that helps?

Your house, your rules. You can hang up your rules or put them in a binder with informative information like Wifi code as a house manual in their room, Just remember guests often don't read.

Which is why you will have to tell them the most important things verbally. like it or not.

If your guests are still staying longer, you'll have to approach them (the wife) and say something like:

Jenny, I've cleared your own space in the cupboard in the kitchen, so you don't need to search for free space.

Jenny, I noticed you were maybe looking for something in ..... How can I help you?

Your listing does say you share your home, so for less sensitive and encroaching guests that's an invitation to take over your whole home!

You'll absolutely need to create boundaries. And again when giving the tour tell them what you offer and what you don't do or what's off limits. Just make it sound like everything you offer is a positive, and don't make things you don't share (office, private bedroom) as a negative. You'll find yourself sooner or later either installing locks or putting a 'Private' (or No Entry) sign where needed. Absolutely no problem.

Clarity. Lots of it. 

@Andrea9

Thanks a lot Andrea. You are very wise! I have to learn more 🙂

Lovely thought @Kim-and-Jen0, though it's not so much being wise as in smart enough to follow the host forums and knowing to tread in the footsteps of very experienced hosts!

But good to hear you are happy with the advice, because just this morning on another thread for some reason I got brutally slammed by a newer host on the forum saying that people think I'm working for Airbnb to smoothen things up, and told me to come on and get a grip!! Then proceeded to describe her beef with ABB in great detail. A bit puzzled why she'd do that if she thought so little of me to begin with.

Well, thanks for allowing me to air that, and you never know how comments are received - some are happy, others think you're a 'wise ass'. Quite hilarious in a way.

@Andrea9

It is hard to be a host and also a normal human. sometimes you just get frustrated with the guests but then you have to channel it in a good manners, friendly, poliet without offending anyone. This is the tough challenge for me as I am very straightforward kind of person. So it is good to hear advices and learn from others who can handle the situation in very diplomatic way and also how to write the reviews! 

🙂

@Kim-and-Jen0

True regarding guests, and this case the frustrated person wasn't  even a guest but another host on this forum! 

@Andrea9

Yes I read about the comment. I think she just have bad experience with Airbnb, but ignore her. You cant please everyone 😛