Host asking for passport copies

Answered!
Bruna-Ayako0
Level 2
São Paulo, Brazil

Host asking for passport copies

Hi! I've used Airbnb a couple of times, and it's the first time my host asked me for the Passport copies. I'm hosted in Portugal and she said it's for paying taxes. I distrusted this information of her request because I always talked to my host in Portuguese and just this message was sent in English.

Anybody know if is it common ask passport information in Portugal? And is safe to provide this information?

Thanks!

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

"The Host may ask for ID upon check-in, if done in person and if the requirement is in the Host’s house rules at the time of booking or is required under applicable laws." 

You can read more about this by clicking here.

You can still access this topic if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

138 Replies 138

We just checked into place in Rome last night and person giving key asked for copies of each of our passports. We too understand, from a security standpoint, the need for hosts to have info on guests especially in our case with 3 people and booking is made under 1 person - host has no info on other 2. We did let them take pictures of our passports but we were not expecting it since it wasn't mentioned in listing. What was mentioned was €3.50 city tax per person per day that needs to be paid on arrival, in cash. 

The Italian authorities ask hosts to register every guest to the local police station within 8 days since arrival. This applies to hotels and similar accommodations (including BnBs).

The reason behind this stands from the enforcement of the counterterrorism act that requires every foreigner visiting Italy to be tracked along its presence on the Italian territory.

You can find more reference here on the website of the Italian official tourism office
http://www.italia.it/en/useful-info/documents.html?no_cache=1

Nelima0
Level 1
Redmond, WA

A host in Japan is asking me for passport no and Home address.  Is this expected?

Philip42
Level 2
Paris, France

I understand that it is a statutory requirement in some countries, and do not mind giving a copy of my passport to my host.

But does a copy really have to be uploaded to the website, just after you've given out your card details?

further to my last post:

I contacted the host who told me that the "require identification verification" option in the host section of the website had been selected and he hadn't noticed.

he has since unticked the box and the booking can proceed without having to upload ID to the website.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I recently stayed with a host in Portugal and wasn't asked for any ID.

@Philip42,

the requirement to give passport number and similar information to hosts in specific countries (this nis just to follow the local registration law) has nothing to do with the offline verification in your Airbnb account. Even if you upload your passport to Airbnb, it stays there confidentially and none of the hosts can get this information, this is just to verify your identity, that you are a real person, etc. However, some hosts require verified identities for their own safety and convenience.

Pascale24
Level 1
Auckland, New Zealand

I would like to be able to host only guests who provide a copy of their government ID.

I've add odd requests lately, far too long and from people I can see never used airbnb before nor instead of mine (checked on them months later).

I always ask for a copy of ID from a flatmate and no one ever declined.

If someone declines, they're not clear I reckon!

Nothing a ill-intentioned person can do with a copy of an ID anyway!

It is impossible to contact airbnb nowadays. I even came across a website that charges $20 to process a message and get it to reach airbnb!

Thanks for your help.

Matte0
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

I have been asked to supply a copy of my passport to my host, a week after I checked in. I am scheduled to stay for 4 weeks in this condo in Bangkok. The issue is there is nothing in the iternary to say that I have to supply copies of passport. If I had to show ID why was it not asked when I checked in , why wait now. I suddenly feel that my identity security is at risk. What should I do? Is checking out prematurely an option?

Kathy103
Level 1
Kalbar, Australia

I've just had a host in Rome take photos of our passports for Identification purposes. I am very worried about this especially concerning the amount of identity theft about. Is this normal practice? I feel like a fool. 

I was just asked the same thing in Rome, and like you, I felt like a fool. Actually, finding your post makes me feel a little better. At least others have been asked. Did everything work out with your visit? No ID theft, for instance? 

In Italy hosts must by law register to a special police service and, once they receive a web certificate, they must send a long and detailed form with a loto of guests information including document number, document type and document country of issue. The alternative to taking a photo of your passport is verifying it visually and then copy all the information for all guests on a paper, which would take at least 10/15 minutes. Then they would have to go home and copy again all the information in the police form, because they can only send these forms from a computer where the digital certificate has been downloaded. The penalty in case this rule is not respected is up to 2 years in jail, so very few people would risk that and let you in without filling the form:

https://galateodelturista.com/2016/08/25/why-does-italian-hotels-ask-for-ids-or-passports/

That is really heavy what buisness is it of the police unless they think you are acception cash and not paying tax. 

Its an outrage.

I am glad to read your comment Simone.  I'm going to Rome in May with my family and the host just asked us for copies of our passports. Now, I am relieved to know that there is a law in Italy requiring hosts to ask for passport ids. Thanks!

Me too! Thanks, all!