Hosting three guests

Bob43
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hosting three guests

Hi all,

This is my situation: I have been a host as of October 2012. For business reasons I wasn't able to host for a while, but I picked it up again in September 2016. I let a private room that sleeps 2 people and I live in the center of Amsterdam, the Netherlands. You can imagine that I only get tourists as guests, no business travellers, no interns, no long stay.

Now, I am lucky enough to have an extra smaller spare room that sleeps 1 that I have been thinking to rent out as well. While on the phone with Airbnb on another matter, I asked the guy for advice on my situation: Should I create a second listing and attract additional guests or should I add it to the existing listing and raise the maximum number of guests from 2 to 3? He advised the second option since my guests then will not be confronted with other strangers during their stay (just with me). I think I agree with him.

I do have some questions/concerns though. So far I have only hosted solo travellers or couples (and very good friends every now and then, they would need to share the queen sized bed). These are the perfect guests for me since they are rather low maintainence and mostly don't depend on me for entertainment. With an extra bed in the second room I imagine that I would attract a different kind of guest as well. But I don't know wat kind. Except for friends, who would be travelling with 3 people? Families? If so, what are your experiences hosting them? Are they usually as low maintainence as couples or solo travellers? Would you go for the first option instead?

A bit of experience or advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Bob

3 Replies 3
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

I get tons of three-people groups! So far I have had:

grandmother, mother, daughter celebrating the daughter's birthday

parents with one child

three friends

cousins celebrating something or other

They tend to be very self-sufficient and amuse themselves. They also tend to be wildly happy just to be with each other.

I don't think that three people will be a negative for you.

Bob43
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

OK, thanks for sharing your experiences @Susan151. Much appreciated. I think this is the confirmation I have been looking for :).

Angel49
Level 2
Los Alamos, NM

We can host up to 4 guests (sofa bed and foldable bed for living area), and we get more groups of 3 than couples. So far, road trip scientists, colleagues, and later this month couples with 1 and 2 children. This last scenario was what we were expecting. It has been very positive, but we do rent a detached space so it could be different from your set up.