House rules (no smoking) and collecting security deposit

Jason144
Level 4
Montreal, Canada

House rules (no smoking) and collecting security deposit

Hello,

I've just had my first bad experience with Airbnb (as a company). So far, these guys have been great.

I recently made a claim on a guest that violated my House Rules (no smoking). The smell was strong when I walked in (tobacco & marijuana), there were ashes on the counter, fabric sofa, small burn mark in the kitchen table and a glass with cigarette butts in it. I took pictures, made my claim to the guest. The guest did not respond and I involved Airbnb. They required (with strong deadlines, do or else) quotes from table repair and a cleaning service (remove smoke smell from furniture). Keep in mind that it's winter and the windows were never opened. They came back, rejected the claim and said "it was not fair to the guest to pay for this. The decision is final and cannot be overturned".

What is the point of the security deposit? Can damages be more than visual (ex. smell)? What rights do we have as host on the platform to protect us against disrespectful guests that violate clear rules prior to booking? Why bother having a security deposit (the higher the deposit, the less bookings) if everything is treated like the host guarantee?

Jason

30 Replies 30
MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

@Jason144this guest sounds like a real jerk. I would make sure to put in my review that he broke the house rules by smoking and give him a thumbs down. Sorry about this!

Frank146
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

I just had a girl break my window. icant even make a claim. They only protect the visators.

Really? Only protect the visitor?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Frank146 Of course you can make a claim.Just make sure you do it within 48 hours of her departing through their resolution centre. 

I cant believe what I am reading with so many non pay outs for legitamite claims. I am so disappointed.

Sorry for you too!

We've had a similar problem where the guest Intentionally smoked against the posted no smoking rule when we challenged his single booking after discovering his wife was staying as well. Airbnb never helped us 

I had a guest who smoked. I claimed cleaning costs which was supported by Airbnb. 

Executive0
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

I've had the exact same experience with Airbnb and  makes me not want to host. 

Dave-And-Ruth0
Level 2
Byron Bay, Australia

Hi Jason,

Hey Jason

This is exactly what has just happened to me except mine was a blocked toilet as well as smoking. The guest put face wipes down the toilet (which do not decompose) and I had to call a plumber to unblock it. I sent the photo and the plumbers bill to airbnb and they basically did the same thing they have done to you. I agree what is the point of the security deposit. I have been a member since 2012 and I feel the company ran beautifully in the hands of Brian but its seems to have gone corporate and its obvious they no longer support their hosts. This of course can be quite dangerous for us as hosts so not sure I will be able to continue. This problem with disrespectful guests seems to be a major issue now. In the past my guests have been fantastic but from the discussions I have had with hosts recently in my area indicates that this is becoming a far bigger problem now possibly because airbnb have become so big. My feeling about it is that I have been disrespected not only by these guests but also airbnb. In the old days before airbnb I took a deposit from my guests which was returned to them within 24 hours of their departure. I never had a problem so for me this would be a way to minimise the problem. We actually have a site in this area called "unfair bnb' due to major problems happening here.

All the best and good luck

Ruth

Sue185
Level 3
South MacLean, Australia

Hi

I agree this is so unfair and is really making me question now if I stay with Airbnb as I have two units and had always loved hosing but may now find another way of holiday letting my units

I have a guest in at the moment smoking clearly in front of a non smoking sign and totally against my house rules

If we are not aloud to enforce our house rules then why are they there

really dissapointing to be reading all these comments and I now worry about the future of my holiday units

😞

This does not make me happy. I have a large apartment so get a lot of larger groups (it sleeps 8-10). This latest gorup has apparently not only used the apartment, but broken into the house, and set up a tent in the carport in which they have an electric stove (on my utilities) and more people are apparently staying in the tent. They have also brought a dog, in violation of my house rules. The only recourse I have is the security deposit (other than evicting them). I'd like to talk to someone about this but all I get are links to 'frequently answered questions'. I have another group coming in in April that may do the same thing and I will have to cancel them if I don't get any protection from the 'virtual' security deposit. What do I do?

@Pk0, check out this link to see how you can contact Airbnb. And I believe you can cancel remaining reservation nights without penalty to you when guests violate your house rules.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Sue185
Level 3
South MacLean, Australia

Thank you so much

It is so annoying as out body corp is very strickt on the no smoking full time tennants in the building get really angry

it also leaves the units smelling so bad

Thanks so much this is a faster answer then emails I just want to know what I am suppose to do

Sue

Dave-And-Ruth0
Level 2
Byron Bay, Australia

Hi again Jason,

Well I have just tonight after nearly 2 weeks of constantly writing to Airbnb response, been notified that they finally have made the decision to honour my request for payment to damages done to my property. I assume the guest is not paying and that they are covering the damage caused to the toilet being blocked by the guest putting face wipes down it. To be honest I didn't think I would be reinbursed for the plumber's bill but I am very pleased that I can say they have done the right thing. I had lost confidence and was seriously considering not continuing as I was so concerned about these guests behaviour. I have to admit it has never happened before but I did have another couple recently who said they were not smokers but I found wet cigarette butts in the kitchen rubbish bin which really stinks, and tabacco split on the floor and roll your own papers ect. under the couch. He seemed like a nice bloke but its amazing how people lie to you. I have purchased some big NO SMOKING SIGNS and also have completely changed the way I have written my listing. Making smoking a big issue from the start. Also, i have got rid of intant book so that I can write and get a feel for the guest before they arrive and make sure they agree to the rules particularly NO SMOKING. It will obviously lead to less bookings but I much prefer quality to quantity. Also about the smell from smoke, I use a room atomiser (Aroma Bloom)I bought from a site called lively living in Australia. You put good quality essential oils in a water bath and it gently sends sweet smelling vapours into the room. Its safe and effective. Around $100 aus but lasts forever.

Au revoir

Ruth

Dunny0
Level 6
Nara, Japan

@Jason144

Jason, Bonjour.

So many folks smoke in Montreal. Hmm.

You must clean, just like spring cleaning. Open the windows.

Take one room at a time. One wall at a time. Use apple cider vinegar.

Wipe and rinse. Wipe dry. Take breaks, but continue. Sprinkle some

ol' Arm 'N' Hammer baking soda on cloth - sofa, cushions, curtains, carpets.

Wait a little while. Vacuum the soda thoroughly. Wipe all surfaces.

Spray some water and essential oils in the air. Best yet, walk around with some smoking sage 

- it's what people used to do to ward off spirits. No joke. Hope that helps. Good luck,