How can I get a Super Strict 30 Days Cancellation policy for my property?

Prospect0
Level 1
Exuma, Bahamas

How can I get a Super Strict 30 Days Cancellation policy for my property?

Hello, 

My property is in The Exumas and is fairly remote. It is also fairly seasonal.

Getting there usually requiers a good amount of plannig and time.

We do not feel comfortable with the exisiting offer of 50% refund up until 1 week.

Someone canceling at one week is NOT enough time to get other bookings who could even reach our property on time. 

We would prefer the 30 day cancellation for our protection. How can we change that?

Please advise. 

Thank you 

38 Replies 38
Christine357
Level 2
Fordingbridge, United Kingdom

Thanks for your comments.

I think that Airbnb have 'missed a trick' somewhere here.

They are being so 'anti' the hosts that they are pushing them away.

Things are so skewed towards the guests (& Airbnb themselves as they always seem to secure their own fee no matter what!).

I haven't had any bookings from my listing yet & will let it run for a few more months & then will probably take it down.  If I take bookings in the meantime then that's fine.

However, once I get a late cancellation & lose out financially then 'I'll be gone............"

Thanks again.

I would imagine AirBnB would say they try to reach a balance between guest and host.

Recent events have moved the policies in favour of guests.

I had  a 2 night booking cancel today, their flight was cancelled and with the hassle they decided to cancel the trip.

So I get most of my fee, they get a bit back, I will live with that.

I am wondering if they will try the extenuating circumstances route, judging from my limited experiance and what I have read on here it seems that a cancelled flight may well be considered by AirBnB an extenuating circumstance.

I think it is highly unlikely they would have travel insurance, and even if they did then usually the delay has to be so long before you can make a claim and I am not sure the limited loss from staying with me would be worth it if there was a deductible.

Should the Host effectively be that insurer? Most unlikely to get another booking.

David
Christine357
Level 2

Thanks for your contribution.

I just don't see why the host should be the one to bear the cost of the guest who needs to cancel.  They should have taken out travel/cancellation insurance.  If their reason for cancelling was genuine (& not a disinclination to travel) then they would be able to claim on the insurance.  Extenuating circumstances would surely come within an insurance claim.  Also, the death of 'Auntie Flo or whoever' would have to be a claim on insurance.  After 30 years in the holiday lettings business, I've 'heard them all' & have got a bit long in the tooth for some of the excuses that people come up with - a bit cynical I know but I have had a lot of experience.

I have used Airbnb 'from the other side' ie as a guest for several years & in many countries.  This has been a fascinating experience as I have preferred homestay type places where I could interact with the flat owner & immerse myself in the culture of their country.  As a solo traveller this has been very rewarding & I have met some wonderful people.  As regards the cancellation policy, as far as I was concerned, I had paid for my accommodation & if I didn't turn up then it was my problem.  I certainly wouldn't have expected to re-claim anything.

Perhaps Airbnb should have a 2 tier cancellation policy.  One could cover the short stays for travellers (of which I am one when I do my 'adventure trips around the world') & another one which would cover the type of letting which I wish to advertise ie whole property, mainly weekly bookings.  

In my opinion, Airbnb need to look at the 'industry norm' for this sort of business if they want to expand more into this area.  This could be a lucrative business expansion opportunity for them.  It is proving very good for the Holiday Lettings/Tripadvisor website (which I already advertise on very successfully).  As I said in my earlier post, I think they are 'missing a trick' here.  Shame!

Jean-Louis19
Level 1
Whitby, Turks and Caicos Islands

I want to do get the same cancellation policy but the best option offerred by the system is 50% refund till one week before check in.

How can we get the Super strict option

Christine357
Level 2

Good luck with that!

My understanding is that the super strict 30 days cancellation policy is almost impossible to achieve.

As you say, the guest can get a 50% refund up to a week before arrival.   That is unrealistic for the host.

This cancellation policy will not work with. I've been doing this weekly business (whole house) for 17 years.  I NEVER refund within 30 dasys.  I rarely move their week within 30 days.  I rent at amounts $2700/week and never rebook within a week.  Bookings are usually 2 months to 1 year in advance.  Average 5 months.  a $2700 hit for me at the last minute is too huge for me to risk.  I will only offer my very low season weeks and only at the last minute on this site until they change this policy.  Too bad Airbnb cannot run with the big boys!

@Pamela236 have you contacted Airbnb about the super strict cancellation policy?  They have a special group that evaluates listings for this policy.  I wouldn't hurt to ask.  I see that your listing is new so you don't have a track record with Airbnb yet and that's one of the criteria used in their evaluations.  

With the Super Strict cancellation policy, if granted, it is likely that your host service fee would increase to 5%. 

Airbnb has plenty of big dog listings.  Have you checked out any of the Luxury Resort listings? Here's a sample:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/9487229

I'd say they are a pretty big dog!

From one of the chihuahuas  🙂

I meant VRBO/HomeAway and trip advisor that has more workable policies.  Thanks for your post.  Do you know I can reach them about requesting this?  The check out policy is also giving me a problem..my departure days are only on Saturdays, but that's another issue.

@Pamela236 Sure!  If you are logged in on a laptop or PC, click on Help just to the left of your profile picture.  Click on Visit Help Center where you will see lots of topics but down at the bottom of the page there is a Contact Us button.  Once you click on that you will see options to send an email, request a phone call or the phone numbers to call yourself. 

On the app it is essentially the same. Tap on your profile icon, then Get Help. 

Good luck!

Thanks!

Christine357
Level 2

I totally agree with your comments which is why I put this post up in the first place.  My business is self catering holiday cottages (2) in the New Forest National Park, UK.  My personal business model (ie for bookings direct with me) is to take a small deposit of £50 per week when they make the booking.  This is non-refundable.  The balance has to be paid 6 weeks before arrival.  Once this is paid, this is non-refundable.  If they have any problems (eg 'aunty Flo has died or whatever!) then they have to claim on their own holiday cancellation insurance (which I recommend they take out when booking).

The Airbnb model just doesn't fit well with this for me.  If someone booked an expensive week (or longer even) & then cancelled at the last minute then Airbnb would get their fees, the renter would just lost their deposit & I'd get virtually nothing - other than a void period which I'd probably not be able to re-let at short notice.

In my opinion, Airbnb are 'missing a trick' here as I'm sure there are lots of other accommodation providers who just won't release their full calendars onto their website (if at all).

I have released a few very low season dates for just my smaller cottage.  Even if I don't get many bookings through Airbnb, at least it has given me some publicity for my cottages.  Most people are savvy enough now to do their own google searches & find you another way.

My understanding about the superstrict cancellation is that you need to be renting out some sort of 'palace' in order to qualify.

If Airbnb reviews its policies then I'd put both of my cottages onto their site with all available dates showing.  

I am a member of a trade body 'New Forest Tourism Association' & our self caterers have discussed this issue.  Other members are of the same opinion as me ie at present, Airbnb is not a very sensible place to advertise for self catering type properties where bookings are normally for 1 week or more.  The financial 'hit' if someone cancels very last minute is just too much of a risk.

@Christine357

Do you not need a Security Deposit for those sort of listings? That would strike me as a bigger issue.

David
Christine357
Level 2

I don't know what the security deposit situation is but I agree that it is another serious issue.

If I was renting out a luxury property which was in another country then I would be pretty concerned about this.

As regards the cancellation policies, here's a link which might clarify things for people.  Once you are through to the link, you can click on the various different levels of cancellation policy.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/home/cancellation_policies#flexible

(NB general accommodation providers, like myself, only qualify up to the strict level.  You need to be renting out something 'pretty spectacular' to qualify for either of the super strict levels).  

The other worrying aspect is the mention that Airbnb would act as mediator in the case of a cancellation & if they deemed there were 'extenuating circumstances' then they could override the terms & agree a refund to the renter.  Again, I make my point that surely, it is up to the renter to take out holiday cancellation insurance to deal with any of their 'extenuating circumstances'. 

They are not a mediator, basically if AirBnb agree that the Guests request is an Extenuating Circumstance then they just cancel the booking. Host may or may not be told what is going on. Couple of times it happened to me I just got a notice that the booking had been cancelled due to an Extenuating Circumstance.

The Extenuating Circumstances policy is much broader than anything available in the Insurance market and is of course free.

David
Christine357
Level 2

Extenuating circumstances just makes it even worse for the accommodation provider.

It confirms my earlier decision to just make just a few dates available in very low season.  

Obviously, Airbnb are making enough money not to care that they are losing business. 

It is a shame because I use Airbnb a lot myself when I travel overseas.  For short bookings of 1 or 2 nights it works well for me.  I prefer to stay in a 'home hosted' property as I like interacting with hosts from far flung countries.