How do you deal with a guest who overuses the heating?

Answered!
Scotia0
Level 4
England, United Kingdom

How do you deal with a guest who overuses the heating?

I have a guest staying who is demanding that the heating is on full blast 24/7 to the point where I am uncomfortably hot and going outside to cool down !

She has also asked for a plug in heater , which I have advised I don't have !

I know it's winter but how do I deal with this ? 

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I often have issues with this because I have a big, old house that is expensive to heat. It's not just the costs though. From an environmental perspective, I don't want to waste copious amounts of energy. To me, it is normal to wear warm clothing/extra layers in the Winter rather than to keep pumping up the thermosat and it's not normal to have the heating on all night unless it's super cold. I agree with  @Jeanne224, it is not healthy. Medical reports show that in the long-term it can cause respitory and heart problems.

You can provide extra blankets etc, but some guests will not be happy unless the heating is on 24/7. Sometimes you have to put your foot down, but be prepared to have put out guests who leave less than glowing reviews. Even though I specifically changed the timer so the heating was on before he got up in the morning and again before he got home in the evening, one guest claimed that I made him ill (he got a cold AFTER returning home) because the heating was not on overnight.

The most unreasonable guest I had in this regard was staying in June. So, it wasn't cold but this guest decided to go for a run in the pouring rain. When he got back, rather than take a hot shower and put on dry clothes, he immediately asked me to turn on the heating. I explained that we don't normally have the heating on in the middle of Summer (most people have their windows open) and that it wasn't cold. He barked back at me while stomping up the stairs, "Well, this is NOT warm where I come from," (he was from Miami) and, "If I was you, I would put the heating on," in a rather threatening tone.

Well, what to do? I gave him an electric space heater. It's not ideal as they chow so much electricity, but at least it was better than heating my four storey house and causing discomfort to my other guests. He seemed happy with that, but spent the rest of his stay walking around in shorts and a vest top. Some people are just unreasonable.

View Best Answer in original post

54 Replies 54

Agreed. I didn't realize these folks meant they were completely turning the heat off. We usually turn it down at night, but the house is never colder than 21C. The heat comes on as needed to maintain a reasonable temp - 24/7.

Ina25702
Level 3
Kaunas, Lithuania

My floors are heated. The guests regulated them themselves. I often find thermostats at 26-30C with open windows. Now I changed all thermostats to controlled Wi-Fi, they are also blocked and guests  themselves cannot regulate. I set the temperature to 21 C. Аccording to hygienic standards, we have a minimum temperature of 18 C, 21 C - a comfortable temperature.

@Ina25702  What is a comfortable temperature for one person isn't for others. Of course it's ridiculous, expensive and wasteful to leave the windows open and turn the heat up.

But if a host expected me to be comfortable at 21C, and I wasn't allowed to have it any higher, I would leave. 22-23 is good for me- I'm very thin and am usually colder than most people.

@Sarah977  I always make compromises and would ask you what time to increase the temperature (for example in the morning and in the evening), but not the whole day. How to keep prices competitive? especially in winter.

@Ina25702 @Sarah977 We find heating requirements tend to go with age of guest and where they come from. We currently have 2 apartments with 80+ year olds in them and heating at 24 degrees C. When we have guests from London the heating is always set around this temperature.

With our rather expensive Austrian Biomass boiler the cost for the above works out at around £4/apartment/night which is small beer compared to the price of the stay. 

As an aside my daughters do seem unhappy with the house which is set to 18 degrees but they don't seem to want to pay to stay with us.

@Mike-And-Jane0  As far as the people I know, it doesn't particularly have to do with age or location. My oldest daughter has always "run hot". She'd regularly be sweating an hour after she went sleep when she was a kid, and as an adult, she likes her house set at a temperature that is far too cold for me, but that is perfectly comfortable to her. 

People's weight can also be a factor. While my daughter is of average weight, those with a thicker fat layer are almost always warmer than those like me who are quite thin. People being sedentary as opposed to quite active, or having poor circulation or other medical issues also enter into it.

There is something to location, though. I find that the majority of Canadians and Americans from the colder climates in the US are real wimps about hot climates. They claim things like "you can't survive" in the Mexican coastal summers without AC, which if that were actually true, all the average Mexicans and those such as myself, who live quite okay with just fans, would be dead by now.

I've never minded being too hot- I can just cool down by jumping in a cool shower, but I really hate being cold. 

I grew up in Kansas City, which is really cold in the winter and really hot and humid in the summer, so I can't peg it to my internal thermostat having grown accustomed to a certain type of climate.

@Ina25702 Love this idea to control by wifi.  Is there a particular company you would recommend for this?  Are you able to regulate the heat from wherever you are.  ie., not in state or even in the country.  So that if guest wanted warmer you could adjust for them?

Thanks,

Brian

Vadym12
Level 2
Mississauga, Canada

I'm also having this same problem. Guest likes to keep the heat very high during his stay. His room temperature was 23 degrees, outside the house  is +6 degrees. Guest increased temperature by using extra electric heater like a sauna now and spending time in intense heat. So, a sauna is a great way to feel better but it can not actually have positive effects on my electric bill.

Just give them a small space heater that only uses 500W.

It can't possibly use that much electricity to make a dent on your bill. 

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

From my observation, 22C or 72F is at the point where it is good for most people during the winter.

If any guest still thinks it's too cold, we'd check their vent and windows, and then provide them with a space heater.

If we run the temperature any higher than 22C, it may become too hot for other guests. 

I think a temperature of 68-70F is reasonable, and you can get by, but it's not as comfortable as it could be. We always do our best, and try to make guests happy. And a good temperature is an important part of that. 

Our central heating is done with gas furnace, so it's fairly reasonable to heat it to 72F during the winter. 

In my opinion, the outside temperature doesn't really have any bearing on what the inside temperature should be. Last week it was -10C here, and -20C outside with the windchill. I still heat it to 72F inside because that's a good comfortable temperature.