How do you make a bedroom inviting for guests?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you make a bedroom inviting for guests?

Bedroom.jpg

Hello everyone,

Before you start hosting, I'm sure many hosts look around their guests bedroom and think — would I like to stay here? This way you can see how welcoming it is for your guests.  

If it was an empty room then the answer would probably be no, therefore how do you turn your spare room into a place for paying guests?  

There are a few things to think about, such as what furniture is needed, colour scheme and little extras.  Perhaps you started with a bed and worked outwards or added new things over time rather than all at once.

What are your tips for new hosts and your personal experiences with creating your guest bedroom?

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

116 Replies 116
Joanna-K-0
Level 2
Toulouse, France

Light. Let there be light! 

Susanna153
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I have a small basket in the guest ensuite bathroom with new toothbrushes, shaving foam, razors, sanitary towels, just a few things in case guests have forgotten to pack them. The bed linen and towels I bought from Brand Alley, a non stop sales designer website who sell top quality homeware and clothes at up to 70% off the original price. I have had guests comment on how comfortable my pillows we're and how soft the towels are! It's well worth buying quality as it's got to last the many washes!

Christine1142
Level 2
Laguna Niguel, CA

We started from an empty room with shampooed carpet, new paint with a modern new dark gray, added the four poster black iron bed with a good not too soft mattress. New sheets, just laundered duvet cover and pillow shams. We decided that because our son was in New Zealand and sending us beautiful photos we would decorate with those and added a few little things like a silver Kiwi, throw pillows and a sheepskin on the floor as a rug. We added black Ikea simple side tables and another to hold the Keurig and electric kettle for tea with all the fresh tea/coffee/sugar and immaculately clean cups/glasses/spoons. 2-4 bottles of water. We installed a small flat screen TV and info typed out in a plastic protector with wifi, info of the area. The room alrady had a dimmer and the lamp we bought also has a dimmer. We love the look of our "Comfy Kiwi Room". The whole room cost us $400. We have been going strong for over a year now and just love it!

Veronica248
Level 2
New York, NY

I keep a membership at the history museum that is down the street and offer my guests the use of my museum card so they can enjoy it during their stay and can skip the dreaded long lines. 

Ive found in my own travels that trying to figure out mass transit can be overwhelming so I try to help alleviate that for guests by providing them with a Subway map and a pre paid metro card with a small balance. 

Fresh flowers always seem to be appreciated and are welcoming

Luggage racks and an extra hanging rack seem to be very helpful especially in places with smaller closets

Clean crisp linens (I prefer white for hotel like feel) A few lighting options, and a full length mirror, hangers and an iron are staples for any comfortable stay. 

Thank you all for the other tips and tricks to providing a great space and experience! 

Terri146
Level 1
Fort Bragg, CA

I have a local newspaper, phone book in the room. I also use a linen spray so the sheets and towels are always fresh smelling!The room is chocked full of my art, and guests are greeted with fresh flowers or native greenery from my property, and never forget a white noise machine for those couples who have a snoring partner! Lol

Emilie-And-Warner0
Level 1
Tappen, Canada

Before we became AirBnB hosts we decided to sleep and stay in our own guestcottage for a few days and find out what was missing. It really helped to imagine being a guest there. Now that we have been hosts for a few years , I feel that it is most important to keep the place impeccably clean, freshly painted when needed and to have fresh towels and linens, not old and washed out ones. Have everything in working order, wifi info in the front of the guestbook and an informative email ahead of your guests arrival so they know exactly what to expect. We always make sure to be personally present when our guests arrive, so we can answer questions and introduce ourselves. If you are a baking person, then your guests will really like to find a sample of it in the mini fridge, or on a platter on the table. We do and it is always mentioned as something special to them. Lastly ,I always imagine that my best friend is coming to stay and what I would do for her, I do for my AirBnB guests, it works!

Michelle1370
Level 1
Portland, OR

I use only white bed linens and white towels so I can bleach and easily detect stains. 

Also, I always use a lint roller when I make the beds, going over the fitted then the flat as well as pillow, shams and comforter and duvet. This way I can be certain the guest will not find one hair or even a piece of lint.

Cindy312
Level 1
Nashville, TN

I have a dorm size frig in our Airbnb with a small microwave on top of it, and next to it is a desk with a Keurig coffee maker, a bowl of various coffee pods, sugar and stevia packets, stirrers, and napkins. Frig is stocked with water bottles and creamer. Also provide small paper plates and plastic forks on top of the microwave. People love it. I also throw out the trash each day if guests are staying more than one night. 

Barbara1255
Level 2
Terrace, Canada

I have super hard water and anything white does not stay white for long. Would this interfere in a luxury status? Would non white sheets deter certain guests from choosing my suite? 

I think it's about luxury of the sheets not the colour, host can have white sheets but it's all about the feel of them. I supply high quality coloureds towels (Gray and Dark blue) for this reason, which require washing using a Wool wash detergent-As a guest I don't like leaving dirty white towels.

Peter1359
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

Its good to see everyone is on the "Same Page" Cleanliness is a MUST!!!

Remember why our guests visit us. It is usually to visit the area, see the sights and

then have a comfortable place to stay.

In my case I always am available to meet my guests. They always appreciate tips

about the local area and pubs and restaurants to visit.

I usually have Fresh flowers in the room and always have an umbrella available

just in case.

Good to chat with fellow hosts. Thanks Lizzie.

Peter Dublin

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww no problem, thanks @Peter1359. It's great to see your comment here.  

It's lovely your include fresh flowers in the room, do you grow these yourself? 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Becky9
Level 2
Milwaukee, WI

I started supplying a packet of make-up remover wipes. I LOVE that people use them—saves my sheets. 

I have a bookcase between my two guest rooms with various books—local guides, fiction, kids books— playing cards and small games, a coloring basket (most popular), and a small kids box with action figures and legos.  

I put two sturdy folding wooden TV trays in each room. 

I put a crossword/puzzle book and pen on the bedside table.

i put a small pretty, notepad sheet and pen on the dresser.

i keep some basic cleaning supplies in the bedroom closet for the guest’s use—antibacterial wipes, room spray. 

MY GUEST’S FAVORITE THING: a world wall map on a cork board in which east guest places a pin to represent where they are from. I have 250+ pins in over 20 countries. Such a great conversation starter!!

I love the world map idea, thank you!

Hello All!

Rachael and Pavel here in Chicago. We had soooo much fun putting together our guest room and guest bathroom. I had a queen sized real bed, but no headboard and no nightstands. a GREAT PLACE TO FIND GREAT FURNITURE AND DECORATIVE ITEMS for your guest room is on FACEBOOK MARKETPLACE. 

Very often there is beautiful inexpensive  or FREE furniture on there which can be had for very little or free as long as you're willing to pick it up. Many people move and decide they can't take their entire house full of furniture with them. This often happens in towns where there is a military base as the military families are moved around fairly often AND they are given money by the military to move, but I digress, sorry.

For my guest bedroom we purchased on Facebook Marketplace an inexpensive, but gorgeous headboard and two nightstands of a similar era but not an exact match in style. I made it work in the room by hand-painting both the headboard and the two nightstands with the same color. I started with an accent color from the bedspread (a beautiful turquoise color) and added a bit of gold accent color. It works perfectly and guests always let out a small gasp when they see the beautiful room. It's very important that there are 2 nightstands and individual lamps on either side of the queen bed. Having bespoke furnishings always makes for great reviews. I've found that decorating with a theme in mind helps too. So the theme I use throughout our home is eclectic world traveler (as both my husband and I have travelled to so many beautiful places) we have paintings and small sculptures which we acquired on our travels.

We also provide a half size refrigerator and microwave which are placed out of the way inside the left half of the closet. Before the guests arrive, I always ask them if they would like their fridge stocked with anything. We provide one liter of bottled water per guest/day. So if they are staying 4 days x 2 persons, we stock the fridge with 8 bottles of water for the 4 day stay. We also provide a cork screw, silverware, napkins and a small snack basket with things like microwave popcorn etc. 

I hope this is helpful information.

Rachael39535965_10155551916336232_3134487142873432064_n.jpg40074910_10155568772096232_5593608730198409216_n.jpg40133548_10155572814671232_4468037246620008448_n.jpg39408326_10155554218341232_8726773895023034368_n.jpg40139752_10155572814871232_2935699877272748032_n.jpg40162371_10155572814986232_542393784676122624_n.jpg