How do you make a bedroom inviting for guests?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you make a bedroom inviting for guests?

Bedroom.jpg

Hello everyone,

Before you start hosting, I'm sure many hosts look around their guests bedroom and think — would I like to stay here? This way you can see how welcoming it is for your guests.  

If it was an empty room then the answer would probably be no, therefore how do you turn your spare room into a place for paying guests?  

There are a few things to think about, such as what furniture is needed, colour scheme and little extras.  Perhaps you started with a bed and worked outwards or added new things over time rather than all at once.

What are your tips for new hosts and your personal experiences with creating your guest bedroom?

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

116 Replies 116

Hi, Kath, your post is so helpful!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I put a lot of effort into making the beds comfortable and attractive. I bought the thickest mattress toppers I could and since then, guests always comment on how comfortable the beds are. I also dress them nicely with bedlinens coordinating with each room's decor. I think random bedlinen can really bring down the look of a room, but if in doubt, it's easiest to go for something plain and neutral. I also choose matching towels.

One of the most popular elements is the welcome chalk board with each guest's name written on it. Most people jusst love that personal touch. I also include a letter rack with maps and leaflets, magazines in different languages, a carafe of water and glasses, hairdryer, travel size toiletries and practical stuff like nail files and sewing kits, travel adaptors and plenty of hangers. I tried bowls of fruit for a while, but the fruit would usually end up being thrown away.

In terms of the decor, each of my rooms is different but all of them have been decorated with love and attention to detail, which is something that many guests comment on. Nothing in them looks random, but I also don't go for everything matching either. I guess you could say the furnishings are eclectic but coordinating. It's important to have at least one mirror, for practical reasons but also to increase the light and sense of space. I try to avoid the tempation of using cupboards and drawers to store my own stuff and leave everything empty for guests, excpet bookcases, which should be filled with books.

I would like my guests to feel a bit special when they stay in one of my bedrooms, not just that it is a basic place to crash. Sure, many of them will be out and about most of the time, but it doesn't hurt to have somewhere nice to come back to.

Heidi244
Level 2
Kenmore, WA

So many great ideas and comments in this post!

I like to make my guests feel like they are true guests in my home. Quality bed, quality white linens, pillows (2 ea), and 2 duvets (1 on the bed and 1 in the closet for the winter months) are a must. Robes and slippers with plenty of hangers as well as lots of space to put things away, and a luggage rack in each room. It's also important that the bedroom be individually temperature controlled as some guests want to sleep cool, while others want to be warm.  There are bedside tables on each side of the bed, with lamps, and an alarm clock.  I keep the Kleenex tissue stocked, and have a comfy chair and pretty rug for a restful spot to sit and read.  As my Guest Apartment has low ceilings, I've chosen bright, happy colors to provide a feeling of warmth and spaciousness.

Another easy item to stock, that many guests have appreciated, is a pack n play that I keep in the coset, and have set for the arrival of a family with a young child. 

Sharon104
Level 2
Buffalo, NY

If you live in an area where there is daylight at night, be sure to have room-darkening curtain, shades, or blinds.  I recently spent 5 days in a nice Airbnb in Iceland, but in early June there was no darkness (just some dimness for about 4 hours at night).  The thin, airy curtains in the room were useless.  Even though I wore a sleep mask, it was uncomfotable and I didn't sleep well. Being tired put a damper on an otherwise great trip.

I have heavy room-darkening blinds in my Airbnb guest room.

Jennifer976
Level 8
Calgary, Canada

I started with the color of the tiles in my bathroom.  I didn't pick them and blue is not really my colour but I decided to get towels that would go with the tile and as the towels would be set out in the bedrooms upon arrival I decided to make the decore and bedding work with them.  One room got dark blue towels and the other a more teal colour so my rooms are named Blue Room and Teal room and I am slowly morphing them into rooms I would like to stay in.  I also have a mini fridge in each room that i've put a bottle of water in for each guest when they arrive.  

@Jennifer976, if there's a fridge in the bedroom, make sure it isn't noisy in cycles. Personally I would rather have warm water and no fridge, have never encountered one I would like in my bedroom. You may not hear a fridge in daytime when there are other sounds, but in the still deep of the night everything gets loud.

I'm going to ask my current guests if they hear them.  They are small and brand new so I hope they aren't an issue??

Davina11
Level 2
Skåne län, Sweden

I like to keep things simple, functional and minimalistic I find helps the room look nice (and very scandi style which is popular here in Sweden). The only problem is that is makes the room look a flat which I get around by adding a large framed colourful vintage poster and a few nice deep green plants. People always comment on how much they like the room. I think the plants was the winner!

Lorraine-K-Esser0
Level 1
Gibsons, Canada

What if it is a loft bedroom with no standing room and ladder style access... ideas please?

I have seen ladder access lofts in accommodation, and wondered how you would go with your insurance company about safety. Are there codes you have to adhere to?

Beth272
Level 1
Bedford, NY

I think clear the clutter have a nice solid wood bed and/or upholstered headboard with a good plushy mattress and crisp white cotton or linen bedding that has nice finishings . A large flat screan tv, a private spa like bathrrom with large shower and seperate soaking tub and ample space to hang your clothing and put things in drawers. Last but not least it needs to be white glove test clean and smell fantastic but not strong or overwhelming but light lavender or vanilla. There are ways to provide these important amenities without spending alot; you just need to be creative and thrifty at times and spend on things that will last a long time. Shop at homegoods for sheets, bedding, pillows and contemporary furnishings. 

Hi, Lizzie and everyone, nice to see the informative posts here. I plan to start hosting travellers in the next Summer and just started to think about the design of the room. It will be an ensuite. I plan to design it as a traditional Japanese room since I grew up in my grandparents' home which was in an old traditional Japanese building. 

However, I'm not in anywhere in Asia now. I'm in North America. Will the design of a traditional Japanese room attracting the guests travelling in North America? 

Thank you and any advice will be appreciated. 

Miya

@Miya7  Since you are in the planning stages and do not a listing as yet, it is smart to get feedback from several places.  I don't know where you plan to list, but some considerations are general market interest.  Who would come to your area and why?  Do you imagine people coming to enjoy your listing or are they coming to enjoy the area tourism.  Would you be imagining business people?  As you can see from my questions, whether a beautifully designed traditional Japanese room would enhance the market interest or not be important.  People are often attracted to something that is different, but what drives the booking is how much the listing functions for the guest needs.  Good luck!

Hi, Linda, thank you so much for the helpful suggestions! The place I plan to host is not a tourism area. And I was not even quite sure what is the market to be targetted. It is a very nice town west of downtown toronto (40 minutes commute train) with a lot of good restaurants and between toronto and Niagara falls. The property is close to the entrance of a trail, a shopping center and a college. 

I feel like I have a great passion of starting it, design it and to work on that, but I was actually not so sure about the market interest in the area.

@Linda108  

Hi, Linda, thank you so much for the helpful suggestions! The place I plan to host is not a tourism area. And I was not even quite sure what is the market to be targetted. It is a very nice town west of downtown toronto (40 minutes commute train) with a lot of good restaurants and between toronto and Niagara falls. The property is close to the entrance of a trail, a shopping center and a college. 

I feel like I have a great passion of starting it, design it and to work on that, but I was actually not so sure about the market interest in the area.