How do you make your guests feel comfortable if it's cold or warm outside?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you make your guests feel comfortable if it's cold or warm outside?

stay warm.jpg

Hello everyone,

For many of us, it’s beginning to get colder or warmer (depending on where you live). I've had to switch coats a couple of times as the weather keeps changing between cold and warm here in London. The same goes when I am at home as I have already started using the heater regularly.

How do you make sure your guests are comfortable with the temperature when it’s warm or cold outside? Do you, for example, provide extra blankets, log fire, or perhaps air conditioning?

Looking forward to reading your replies :-). 

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

40 Replies 40
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oof! I guess I need some heated tiles in my bathroom too @Allison2

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

Here in Melbourne, Down Under we have just installed a brand new A/C system for the summer

in our studio for our guests.

We believe that it will make it so much more comfortable and Happy guests = nice reviews 😉

In winter I have a nice hot water bottle and extra wool blankets for guests to enjoy.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Quincy Hello, well we are here in the most northern part of Florida - and it was freezing a few days ago. So in the morning and night heat must be on..............then during the day it warms up and sometimes A/C must be on. It is the only time of year I'm not a big fan. As I love the heat and not fond of cold. So we have snuggley blankets/ comforters/ and extra quilts just incase they are wanting them and  lots of pillows and a wonderful very effecient A/C- Heating system that is easy to work for the cottage. It gets toasty warm or nice and cool quickly and guests seem really happy with that - it's not complicated so they manage after one demo when we meet at their check in.

The cottage has a Keurig machine, refrig and microwave - kinda a small kitchnette/coffee bar.

For this time of year I have added hot chocolate pods along with the tea and coffee and nice chocolates! Seems the perfect thing for this time of year. Greetings all of you............from The Sunshine State Florida

JB6
Level 4
Johnson City, TX

This time of year, temperatures here in Texas can range from the mid-40s in the morning to the mid-70s in the afternoon.  We provide an A/C-heat unit that automatically switches depending on the temp and what the guest wants to set it at.  For the bigger cabin, we also have an electric fireplace, and in both cabins we provide extra blankets for really cold nights.   Being in a drought-prone area, and with oak wilt, we absolutely don't allow open fires or fire pits no matter what the weather.  Finally, we leave a note asking our guests if they aren't comfortable, let us know immediately!

SUPERHOST-Pj0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Having traveled to all different kinds of climates all year around - I have learned what makes a guest comfortable.  During he cold months, I always turn on the heat an hour before checkin so the guests have a nice welcoming into a warm home. I also put electric blankets on the beds and turn them on low as they don't take any energy at all.  I  have throws on the sofa's and a down comforter on the beds. I profide pod type coffee makers with hot chocolate pods as well as tea and coffee.  During the summer months, I will store the winter bedding and provide 100% cotton lightwieght bedding.  I also clean all the air filters in the Mini Split AC/Heat units so they can run at full effecincy.  I have installed overhead fans in all the rooms, as I find that some people don't like air conditioning unless it is super hot.  In the bathroom - I had a heater installed in the wall that is on a timer switch that the maximum time to leave it on without resetting is 30 mins just to insure that guest don't forget to turn it off as these units are very costly to run.

Maureen268
Level 2
Augusta, GA

I have central heat and air conditioning.  I set it at 75 for both which is comfortable. I always ask if they're ok with the temperature. I also provide extra blankets in the bedrooms and furry throw blankets in the living room. 

Lisa1480
Level 4
Ottawa, IL

I have central air/heat but guests have a gas fireplace and extra blankets. For warmer weather, I also provide extra fans. 

Robin436
Level 3
County Limerick, Ireland

This has been one of my problems as a new host in Ireland in an old house with a rather temperamental Central Heating System. However the main difficulty to overcome is that since the onset of global warming ( noticeable here about 10 years ago) our weather patterns are completely and utterly unpredictable in any season.We have often experienced weeks of non stop rain followed by storms, followed by droughts and wildly fluctuating temperatures.

Still, it tests the resolve and ingenuity of every citizen here on the edge of the Atlantic.

I provide extra blankets and a small portable heater which has workd well so far but a minus 10 C out of the blue is a real challenge.

Does anyone out there think that it would be sensible to stop hosting in the winter months when unpredictable weather makes life tricky for Hosts and Guests alike. Perhaps putting extra effort into the Spring and Summer Season could make for a less stressful business?

Robin,

Our listing is in Maine, USA and we get very cold, snowy winters. We stopped hosting winters last year and it takes a lot of stress off us. Although our listing is an apartment in our house (seperate entrance, kitchen, bath, bedroom, and sitting room) and we are here to monitor the temps, sometimes during a wind, snow storm, the pipes freeze in the apartment. Very inconvient if we had guests! So we took the stress off ourselves and now host May-November and get great reviews, happy guests, and happy hosts!

Hi Doug & Carole

Thank you for your detailed response.It'a a problem I haven't really come to terms with yet but I will have to in the near future.However I don't have such cold wether as you in Maine but that could change.Last year we had a two month drought here in Ireland and thankfully I wasn't a Host then but who knows what will happen on any given day here. I don't think I could stomach complaints about lack of Air Conditioning!

Hi Robin, I have decided to stop hosting over the winter months as I live a four hour drive from my Airbnb property which is situated near the mountains in the central North Island, New Zealand and it’s too difficult to ensure there is enough firewood stacked ready for new guests and they understand how to operate the log fire. Our older homes were not built with enough insulation to be constantly warm so it’s a bit of a mission to ensure there is an even temperature throughout the house - it’s almost impossible. Also, I would not make much money once the cost of the power used by guests was deducted due to the bedroom heaters being turned on for the period of their stay and often forgotten to be turned off before leaving.

Robin436
Level 3
County Limerick, Ireland

HI Karen,

Thanks for your response. A four hour drive to your property is a tough one for sure.I love your comment about the heaters being left on!.The only guests I have had to"un-friend" were a couple who left the heater on all night and then complained they had to go out of their room as it was too hot! The Coffee was too strong also which pleased me no end since my Coffee is often described as "Legendary". Still it's a learning curve isn't it? rather like life come to think of it. Keep smiling is my motto!

Jim347
Level 1
Oakhurst, CA

Hi Quincy,

We live in the foothills of Yosemite and it gets below freezing.  Providing heating blankets, throws, and warm beverages helps, but I like thinking outside of the box.  Outside I have added fun lighting over the entry way, strung in trees, around the patio, and even a small chandelier above the patio table.  

Inside I have incorporated small lights into a painting I have in the bathroom, lights in a bottle, and lights in a vase full of peacock feathers.  

I have had a lot of comments from our guests, who typically arrive after dark, about how welcoming and warm they feel seeing the assortment of lights.  Think Vegas!  Of course, they have access to turning off the lights for a good nights rest.

Chris & Jim Hayes

California

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Lisa1480

@Maureen268@SUPERHOST-Pj0@Robin436@Quincy

Ohh a nice way to welcome or farewell a Guest, within appropriateness on a cold day is to share a standard hug with a nice hot drink.

To keep cooler on these beautifu 28 degrees New Zealand summer days, it's bliss to have a cooler shower or venture to a swimming pool or beach or pop over to Cornwall Park for a walk to see the animals and explore, take a picnic and sit under the shade of a tree.

Scott398
Level 3
St.George's, BM

Looking at the picture of the bed and wooden floor...it may be 'fashionable' to have a wood floor but sure makes it look cold and rough on bare feet!!

All very well to be fashionable but the bedroom is supposed to be the warm, cozy retreat to feel comfortable,  this look alone makes me cold.