How do you make your guests feel comfortable if it's cold or warm outside?

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you make your guests feel comfortable if it's cold or warm outside?

stay warm.jpg

Hello everyone,

For many of us, it’s beginning to get colder or warmer (depending on where you live). I've had to switch coats a couple of times as the weather keeps changing between cold and warm here in London. The same goes when I am at home as I have already started using the heater regularly.

How do you make sure your guests are comfortable with the temperature when it’s warm or cold outside? Do you, for example, provide extra blankets, log fire, or perhaps air conditioning?

Looking forward to reading your replies :-). 

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

40 Replies 40
Carly47
Level 3
Winston-Salem, NC

I am a host in the Appalachian Mountains of NC. It can get down below freezing in the winter with ice and snow. If guests are coming in from a warmer climate I send them an update a day or two before encouraging them to bring proper attire. Many seem to not think to bring a warm coat and boots.  I add an extra warm blanket to each bed in the fall and extra throw blankets around the cabin. We also have an electric stove in the living room that gives a really sweet ambience but also throws off a lot of heat. We provide coffee, tea bags and an electric tea kettle. In the summer we have A/C but as it rarely gets above 80 here we have ceiling fans in the living room and bedroom. It’s breezy in the afternoon and evening so most guests seem to enjoy having the windows and doors open. 

Kym2
Level 2
Madeira Park, Canada

Hi,

i like to warm up my cabin a few hours before guests arrive. I use flannel sheets in the winter and have a heavier quilt on the bed. I always have extra blankets and throws available. Plenty of kindling and firewood on hand as well

in the summer all that’s needed is to open up the windows and doors. Screens are there to keep the bugs outside where they belong. Because the cabin is under a beautiful canopy of cedars, the temperature is lovely and cool

Here in South East Asia, we have to keep everyone cool. It rarely drops below 70 here in Thailand, and is often over 90 with the occasional days over 100. If your not used to those sort of temperatures, it is impossible to be comfortabe or sleep without aircon. Most customers wind it down to 65, which is about as cool as it will get. Then they get the extra quilt covers, to feel cozy and warm. There is a marking for the Ideal temperature which is 75, however it is rarely used, when we check it. We could make 75 the minnimum, however, if a customer has a fever, they may need the extra cool air, to help drop their core temperature.

Yes we have to think of everything to meet everyones needs.

Rubén16
Level 10
Vermont, United States

@Quincy  After a long day of skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, The fireplace provides an excellent opportunity for our guests to wind down and enjoy a late-afternoon drink & catch the warmth of the stove. To recharge for the next days adventure.

IMG_6909.JPG

Rubén
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This looks lovely @Rubén16! It looks very inviting 🙂 I just had a quick look at the weather in Vermont and could see that it is 12F over there?! Stay warm! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Natalie252
Level 2
Buffalo, NY

Here in Buffalo, New York we have some extreme temperatures. Last summer was a challenge. Summers vary as much as winters with some summers being cool and some very hot and humid. Last summer was very hot and humid for extended periods of time. We host a second floor apartment and do not have central air.  There are ceiling fans in the kitchen and over the bed. We used a window air conditioner in the bedroom/ living room. 

The kitchen area gets the sun most of the day and really heated up the apartment. We ended up purchasing window film which reflects the heat of the sun and keeps the interior much cooler! You can still see out the windows during the day (just a faint grey tint).  This was a life saver last year!

We are in the process of opening up another bedroom in the apartment and really have to think about what to do to keep the area comfortable in the hot months. 

Has anyone used a "swamp cooler" type air conditioner?  I would love to know your experience with it.

~Natalie 

Years ago, while living in CO, we used a swamp cooler which was outside our bedroom window. It worked great but it's really for an environment without humidity.

Christine1289
Level 1
Pont-Hébert, France

I find out their estimated time of arrival and light the woodburner an hour before so that they go in to a roaring fire in a cosy lounge - they are all love it! I have duvets that pop together so they can choose togs in different temperatures plus extra throws in the blanket box. I also have polar fleeces on the chairs and settee that are regularly washed. The only funny complaint that I've had is they get too hot and have to open the windows.

Karen1497
Level 2
Bridgton, ME

We have a very old house with no central heat upstairs. We offer a very nice little electric heater in our guest bedroom plus more blankets. The guests seem pleased with this and tell us the small room heats up right away and they turn it off before they go to sleep. We will have an air conditioner in the window during the summer.

David75
Level 2
Langley, Canada

We recently did a reno on our rental (At Whistler Ski resort) and installed heated floors in the bathroom and kitchen. As well, we have a gas fireplace and I supply a few fuzzy throws to curl up on the couch with.

I get many compliments about the heated floors. The guest love it after skiing. Quite a hit!

@Quincy 

Good Topic! 

Our guest suite has excellent insulation as well as cross ventilation for maintaining comfortable temperatures. We have a mini-split as well as an efficient high end heater, that is our A/C and heat when guests are too warm or cold. Always extra quilts for those who sleep best in a cool room, as we do. Guests' comfort is paramount, they get to play with the temperature. Our part of the home is more climate challenging, but that's ours not theirs. I send a weather forecast a few days ahead of arrival, so guests can dress appropriately for day and night. Our daytime highs and night time lows are usually 30 - 40 degrees F apart, as is normal in this climate, with lovely ocean breezes even on the warmest summer days.