How do you recognize a bad guest at a first glance?

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

How do you recognize a bad guest at a first glance?

Ok, we are all suspicious when we receive an instant booking followed with just one sentence, something like: " Hallo, I will need parking"

I immediately know they didn't read our listing's description , our welcoming message and our house rules  .

But I still give them the benefit of the doubt.

THE BIGGEST RED FLAG for me is when I meet them on arrival and show them arround, explain the keys, heating, A/C, self check out etc.... and see that they don't listen, they just want to know the WIFI password and can't wait to see me leaving. Such guests are careless and disrespectfull and I immediately know they will breake something, forget to lock the doors, will leave a mess etc... And I am always right 😞

What raises your red flags ?

117 Replies 117
An35
Level 2
Thua Thien Hue, Vietnam

For me that is the one who booked our place and then cancel because they didn’t know my place is another city far from the city they need to stay. They dont even care about the address before booking. 

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Guests and communication? Please don’t get me going!

Language barrier? Well, when guests from the British isles or the US can’t read or write English. Who else can?

It’s been my experience lately, guest communication does even seem to drop over the years.

Maybe it is a natural consequence from the amount of reviews we have acquired by now.

As it seems - in my early days - guests were maybe a bit more suspicious.

Like: Does this guy know, what he is doing?

Will we be having a good experience, while staying with him?

Nowadays, sometimes I feel almost like I’m having a monologue.

And I just rest a bit assured: No news equals good news (sigh!).

Confirmed bookings, initiated by an inquiry:

Pre-booking: A couple of messages going up and down.

Booking: I thank them and send out my standard no-brainer questionnaire.

Guests: Zzzzzzzzzz

Instant Bookings:

When I’m lucky, they will send a bit more info as accompanying text.

Me: I thank them and send out my standard no-brainer questionnaire.

And really, my standard questionnaire isn’t rocket-science. I’m not asking them to solve the riddle of the Sphynx. Or to comment on the Fermi Paradox. Or explaining me the meaning of life.

Unfortunately, the answers, I need from them. Will not fit a message, limited by 140-characters 😞

Just before arrival, they may wake up again. And finally get me the information, I really require to properly accommodate them.

Or I even have to threaten them: When you don’t get me the appropriate details. You may find yourself in front of a closed gate! And you will have to wait for at least 1 hour, before someone will be able to let you in.

Or when you don’t get me the ID details. I’m legally not allowed to host your stay. And you will find yourselves without a place to stay.

After arrival:

After their stay:

Suddenly again a lot of messages and thank you notes ?????

And I’m convinced, they’ve seen every message of mine. While they were over.

So, I subscribe to a lot of things, that have already been said here.

Classic examples are the omission of flight numbers, personal details, etc.

And there is a new one around: “See my answers below” (When they reply to the generated e-mail and not directly via Airbnb).

So all I will see is: “> > > > > >”

Are guests becoming more frantic on sharing details, out of privacy concerns?

I.e.: They don’t like the idea of being spied upon, or something?

Or they think: We’ve booked, We’ve paid. So please don’t bother us anymore. And you better make sure you exactly understand what we expect and need (Mind reading)!

1 of my standard question is (out of decency): Are we allowed to share your phone number with our local staff? (I’ve been doing this from the beginning).

Answer: My number is: 123456789 (Me, thinking: Of course, you ‘bleep’! This is clearly stated in the reservation).

So now I have changed it to: Are we allowed to share your phone number (123456789) with our local staff.

Which seems to work, to get the message across. But now I always have to be careful for not sending out the wrong number.

So I’m considering to just move this to the house-rules section: “As a consequence of your booking, you hereby authorize us to share your details with our local staff!”

Ps.

With regards to the ID details question (This is a legal requirement in Portugal, as well as in many other countries in Europe):

Some do even ask me to show them the actual legal requirement.

Of course, no problem: I will send them a link to the official government site, leading them to the formal text of the law (As we host in Portugal, it is obviously in Portuguese).

So, they will reply: We can’t read it.

To which, I reply with another link (with a common very good English explanation of the law and the implications).

And they may reply: It’s not a formal site!!!!

Some even suggested, they would have preferred a site. Where they could enter the information themselves. Actually some hosts in Portugal do. But then the site itself is questioned again 😞

Sometimes, I ask myself: We are allowing you to use our property worth several hundred-thousands of Euros. And you are not even willing to reveal your correct first name or a somewhat identifiable picture of yourself?

Typically, I review guests with a 5-star on communication. When they have gotten me at least all the required details just-in-time.

Maybe I should start lowering this. When they even don’t have the decency of a short reply to either my welcome or farewell message.

Mark-N0
Level 2
Albuquerque, NM

I'm new but I'm no fool and have learned the hard way when letting rooms, and rental tenants to expect the unexpected and you'll never be surprised. Overall society is all about achieving a uniform standard of living and a common considerate non selfish community interaction....but there are those who will always live outside that culture. The ones who think live above it  and also have a insatiable ego will complain a property is beneath their high standards with leaving no review and or a biased reviews and those who live below such standards and distain or covet those above might find a great value place to be an opportunity to misuse, steal or bring it down to there stool. And both will not return again and vandislm will alway meet consequences and karma. The truth is we have all have our days when we aren't our best self's and can be that whiny nit picker or that little pig. And the hotel industry can testify to the piggy in all of us. AirBNB and virtual hosting definately creates a differant atmosphere of respect of knowing you are in a private home as a guest and have those expectations set that a homeowner is always going to react with greater force than what pushed and has the support of the law to back them. So let guest beware and thread carefully. It's important to recognize what your personal appearances portray about you and if it makes you a prey to those weighing the odds about their chances of taking the advantage. If you and your belongings  scream naive and careless and unable to recover and the guests you host are typical of low character then you have to adjust and project power. Even the sweet little old helpless lady can project that with a little pistol on her belt. Myself I was naturally blessed in some circumstances with a sterotyplical rough exterior that sometimes i forget and am sad that i can appear threatening . For security and as a bodyguard my look is perfect. But I actually need to soften my look to class up my place. Jumping in a set of medical scrubs works well for me as it says to people I am a caregiver doctor nurse medic type and what's more? It's true and comfy as pajamas. 

Jeanne127
Level 3
Round Rock, TX

Some good insights here, Mark. I think being proactive about what is and is not acceptable is wise. I like that you have thought about whether you are intimidating or not. I wish some guests would be as thoughtful about their profile pictures. If they put up a picture that shows them in their cockiest, gangsta style and attitude and THEN give no information I promise I’m not going to feel warm and fuzzy about renting them my room! That may be fun for teenagers with their friends on Facebook, but really not a good plan if they want to stay in my house!

I have the luxury of being able to schedule things in such a way that I greet every guest and then give them the code to access the house. I do not give out access to someone I’ve never laid eyes on. It may seem like a small thing, but I think that me greeting them and them knowing I’m here (but not for sure when I’m coming and going) goes a long way towards people behaving in my house. 

Totally agree Jeanne - I'm retired and this is a empty room, bath and private hallway in my home, so I'm always home. For safety and security reason, I don't want 'late arrivals' and I insist on seeing a photo of the guest. Two have booked without photos, and I told each to get their photo posted please. If not, I'd cancel. I have instant book - but also ask they state why they are visiting and with whom?  I'm had mostly all positive experences, and I don't let the youngsters tell ME what they will do - My House My Rules and its worked. I've refused 3 and cancelled their reservations in advance, but not regretted it at all as I figured I'm not going to allow someone come into my own home and disrespect for ignore me. 

Pat96
Level 8
Williamsburg, VA

I've bent over backwards for 2 older women guests - both were traveling alone and gave me a crappy rating for 'location.' Well, one woman, I took her to her events and picked her up when she phoned, for an entire WEEK! She gave me a 4 for location. !!!!????  The second - also an older woman like the first one - and myself - gave me a 4 on location and she was only 3 miles from her event - on a straight line, no turns! I was appalled!  If she wanted anyone closer, she would have to sleep in the parking lot of the event! The first woman said she didn't own a car and insurance on a rental car made them too expensive, but she sure burned me on location. 

No good deed goes unpunished.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Pat0

My first rule of travel could also apply to these guests.

On arrival, Buy a local paper and go for a drink.

The court cases, the property prices and obituaries tell me more, than any guidebook and the drink, will help me feel I understand things, that are in reality beyond my comprehension!

Joe492
Level 4
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I got this request few hours ago. She is new in airbnb. No single review, but I guess she did not read my listing description, should i approve or just decline?

Hi Joe, I would like to book your place for four nights.
Can you please confirm that you have air condition and high speed wifi in the bedroom and living room, one floor mattress, washing machine, fridge and water filter in this apartment?
I hope all these are available and in good working conditions.
I will need one free parking lot, please let me know where is the car parking lot at which floor?
By the way, how far is your place to Cheras and Kota Damansara? Thanks

@Joe492   "Hi XXX, the answers to all of your questions can be found by thoroughly reading my listing description. When you confirm that you have done this, if you have further questions which you don't find addressed there, I'll be happy to answer them."

@Joe492

Ditto what @Sarah977 suggests.

From Today (guest No reviews):

"...We are looking to stay 31 Jan - 5 Feb. Can you please tell me where your nearest subway station is and how far away it is? Regards. Mxxxx..."

----------------------

Hi Mxxxxx

As pointed out in my description
(there is also a Map in my listing and my listing pictures)
the subway is around 10 min. walk away (10 Blocks).

Please be aware that it can be harsh weather in NYC.
In winter its cold 10 min.

In summer its hot 10 min.
In rain, its wet 10 min.
If we have storm, its windy 10 min.
If you walk slow, its more than 10 min.

I want to be very clear on this ;-)))

Usually my guests prefer an upscaled room, great hospitality and

a more than fair price over a short walk to the subway... 

I will be happy to approve your request

but please reply with the mandatory Info asked in my wellcome message.

Best from Brooklyn, NYC,

Andre

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

I have problem to accept the guest that doesn’t say “hi” and doesn’t use my name in the message. Reason: luck of basic courtesy. Those who are insisting to use not included amenities are not welcome. Was laughing at one inquiry: they are coming just before new year (high season) and want to cook to cut down their expenses. People do not realize that they say? They want me to pay for their cheap holidays?! 

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Branka-and-Silvia0 I've only had two guests I would call bad. Not on the scale of some of the stories here.

The first red flag was "can you book me a taxi?" I sent her the taxi numbers, advised her to do it in advance, she didn't then kept demanding I call her a taxi. I didn't. The second red flag was she brought neither map, nor directions, nor satnav to our very rural listing and tried to navigate entirely by reading road signs.

The other guests were ones with a last minute cancellation by another local host, airbnb found them our place and they seemed to think it was our job to make up for the first host cancelling. First red flag "can my daughter come and change for the wedding here?" I said yes OK.

The next day it was " I'm going to have a few people over to get ready, not sure how many." I said no to this and she was visibly furious.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!