How should I write feedback when guest is not good?

Answered!
Nancy344
Level 3
Kincardine, Canada

How should I write feedback when guest is not good?

I had 2 sets of guests this weekend where I counted the minutes until they left. The first set was actually here 6 days. She came in with an attitude and a chip on her shoulder and I thought if I was extra nice and extra accommodating to her allergies and all the rest of whatever she was sour about, it might help get the stick out of her *bleep*. Nope. She pulled out this morning without so much as a thank you or a text saying she was leaving. Throughout the week when I happened to see her I would ask friendly general questions, like, "what events are you attending today?" (it was a big festival week in my town). Her answer was, " lots of stuff." She said it with a scowl then got in her car and drove away.

The second set of guests broke rules. They either snuck someone in to use one of my spare rooms at night, or they used it themselves and went back into their own room at some point. The day before I had a guest leave room #2 so I stripped it down. I know exactly how I left it. The lace curtains were drawn together, the fan was on the floor with the cord wrapped up nicely. When I went in the next morning the curtains were fully pulled back and the fan was plugged in sitting on the window sill.  I asked the couple about it in the morning if they brought someone in. They denied it. Said the door was open so they opened the curtains to get air flow into their room kitty-corner across the hall. I said, "why would you open the curtains, put the fan in the window then close the door to your own bedroom and have your own curtains drawn closed?  Her story didn't add up. Plus they came in after drinking (because they left their car somewhere else) and it was past 1:00 am when they came in. I have no curfew but I feel violated by whatever they did that night and lied about the next morning.

I don't know how to leave a review for this couple. Either they were in the room or they let someone else in the house to sleep in that room, and I called them on it.  The probem is that I didn't see them in the room. It wasn't the other couple.  I don't know how to leave a review for the sour puss woman either.

Also, I don't want bad reviews from either of these guests because it takes so long to bring my rating up again. What do I do? I did alert airbnb about the first guest with the attitude before she came (as per a community member suggestion), because she came flying red flags all over the place. So at least something is on record.

Suggestions, please and thank you?

Nancy

1 Best Answer
City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

If you don't have a rule about when they can come in then they didn't break it.  People on vacation stay out late.  That's a thing.  You could post a quiet after 11 rule.

If you don't want them accessing an empty room just lock the door.  A fan in the window for ventilation sounds plausible to me.  Maybe they ran it for a half hour and then went to bed. If you were there to see that they had their door shut it seems quite unlikely that they snuck in an  extra guest without you knowing.  How does that work?  In at 1 and out at 6?  Leaving no trace?

The guest is not required to chat with you or even to smile at you.  Some people are introverts or on the spectrum and what seems easy and friendly to you is social torture or meaningless to them.

I wouldn't leave bad reviews unless they were rude, belligerent, destructive, egregiously noisy and intrusive . . .   just say they were sufficiently communicative about arrival time,  followed house rules and left the space in good condition.  If you don't recommend them to other hosts then don't put that line.  If you don't want them back give them a thumbs down   and block them.

View Best Answer in original post

29 Replies 29

Pretty sure a Case Manager would take down that review as "slanderous,"  alas,  if asked.

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

And with that Mark threw up his hands and screamed something that caused @Lizzie to ban him for life from the forums.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@John1574 My all-time hosting wish - won't it be cool if we were allowed at least once a year to say what we really wanted to say to some of these guests - no holds bar! 

My favorite also is 'Best suited for a hotel' - yes, let them have all the 'fun' with some of these characters.

@Fred13   Wouldn't it be funny if there were specific hotels where all the bad, banned Airbnb guests could all stay together. The hotel could employ staff who don't take s**t from anybody and tell the guests exactly what they think of them. "I don't see a piano tied to your ass, get it yourself, do I look like your personal valet?"  "Oh, Miss Fussy-pants needs clean towels, does she? You got clean towels yesterday, maybe you shouldn't have thrown them in a wet wad on the floor, huh?"

Yes, run like that guy in Seinfeld - the 'Soup Nazi', who insults everyone right of the bat, and acts like you are lucky he is even bothering to let you buy his soup.

@Sarah977 @Fred13 Or Fawlty Towers...

Maybe we could pool our money together and open it. We could staff it with fed up Airbnb hosts who are on their vacations and need to blow off some steam.

Imagine @Alexandra316:

1. We do not like a guest's face - "Cop a new attitude or leave!"

2. Ask for more than one favor -"You are pressing your luck!"

3. Show up with more than on the reservation - Charge them an outrageous fee.

4. Show up too early  - Leave them out in the rain.

5. Go passed their check-out time - Throw their luggage and them out on the street.

6.  Park in the wrong place -Have the police remove their vehicle.

7. Want to use the kitchen - "You ever hear of restaurants?"

8. Quiet hours are 10pm to 6am - Shut off their power during that time.

9. They threaten a bad review - "We review YOU, you do not get to review US!"

Total abuse in 'Hotel Revenge'

Kriszti1
Level 2
Budapest, Hungary

Hi Nancy, I think you're not supposed to review your guest's personality, especially since you didn't get to know her well. She even might have been going through something you don't know about. You can't be best friends with everyone. 

In the room the second guests stayed perhaps, were the beddings used? It must be easy to notice, even if they arrange it back after (hairs, perfume smell, whatever). Otherwise, opening the window seems like an understandable thing to do if they wanted some wind. Maybe the fan was used to help this. I'd not stress over it if there was no damage. Coming home late and drunk also seems to be acceptable if it's not specifically forbidden in your house rules. That's what most people do on holidays.

I'd say if you didn't like them, leave an emotionally neutral review, focusing on whether they kept the rules or damaged anything. 

Good luck!

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

If you don't have a rule about when they can come in then they didn't break it.  People on vacation stay out late.  That's a thing.  You could post a quiet after 11 rule.

If you don't want them accessing an empty room just lock the door.  A fan in the window for ventilation sounds plausible to me.  Maybe they ran it for a half hour and then went to bed. If you were there to see that they had their door shut it seems quite unlikely that they snuck in an  extra guest without you knowing.  How does that work?  In at 1 and out at 6?  Leaving no trace?

The guest is not required to chat with you or even to smile at you.  Some people are introverts or on the spectrum and what seems easy and friendly to you is social torture or meaningless to them.

I wouldn't leave bad reviews unless they were rude, belligerent, destructive, egregiously noisy and intrusive . . .   just say they were sufficiently communicative about arrival time,  followed house rules and left the space in good condition.  If you don't recommend them to other hosts then don't put that line.  If you don't want them back give them a thumbs down   and block them.

Agree completely with your sentiments here!

Jennifer976
Level 8
Calgary, Canada

I had an issue with a guest who drank at least 1 bottle of wine everynight, broke a wine glass, moved things around in my house, went through drawers.  She paid for the glass and left a good review although she did say i didn't provide soap or linens and neither of those things were true so that was odd?  Anyway, she wasn't horrible but I wouldn't want her back in my house and I was in the same boat as you and didn't know what to say for her review either?  I'm not sure if there is a place to block a guest from booking again but if there is then that is what I would do.  Suck it up this time around and block the guest from returning.

Hi @Jennifer976 - I believe all one has to do is click the thumbs down at the end of the review and it blocks them from ever booking with you again.

Good to know. Thank you Valerie.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Nancy344 I would roll my eyes at both of those guests too. I will say, however, I have a two 2 bedroom apartment where I have been hosting a lot of couples. I've had 4 separate couples now (and I just posted this listing 2 months ago) that have used both bedrooms for whatever reason. Whether they are using the bed/space to read, nap, I don't know. I know for a fact there are not additional guests. It is a bazar thing but seems to be the new norm. 

That behavior is so weird, Emilia. They wouldn't do it in a hotel. They wouldn't just go read or sleep in another room just because the door is open. You book one room you get one room. It's not a difficult concept.  I now keep doors to unoccupied rooms closed. I hope that helps deter them.  They both left me a review. I haven't left mine yet.