How to deal with low value ratings

Nathan92
Level 2
Estes Park, CO

How to deal with low value ratings

The only poor rating I get semi-consistently is on value. I still have an overall rating as 4.8 and am a superhost, but I tend to get 4 stars on value about 20 percent of the time. I don't really know what to do about this -- I use a pricing app like BeyondPricing and my place is still booked 100% from May to October. I live in a highly seasonal mountain resort town, my prices are lower than the (terrible) hotels in the area, and I'm still booked solid. I don't know how to preempt the value rating... I mean, it's a waaaay better value than anything else in this town, and you'd honestly be lucky to even find a room to begin with in the high season. 

Does anhyone have any hosting tips to set expectations and/or educate guests that their room actually IS a good value in the market that it's in?

30 Replies 30
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Nathan92 Unfortunately, we hosts will never have so much influence on our guests. They will always review you the way they feel, and you can go through the Community Center to read what other hosts write about. They may compare your place with their other stays, not necessarily other places in the neighbourhood.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Unfortunately, I can only offer you commiseration.

Value is 100% arbitrary. One's wallet is always lighter after a transaction, so it is an uphill battle.

You can have a cheap place in relationship to your market, but the guest brings with him previous baggage.

After the Mexican devaIuation, I still remember that very nice hotel room I rented for $12 in Mexico, by the beach.... 

That was value - cheaper to vacation than pay to heat my house.

Sorry, I can't give you any advice of how to make the guest realize what a good deal he is getting at your place.

Just be happy you are booked 100% in the summer and can destress with a nice vacation wintertime.

We carefully priced ours to be high enough to keep out the cheapskates but still much cheaper than any hotels within 10 miles. The crappy 1.5 star Motel 6 is more per night than we charge. We still get dinged on value occasionally. We know not to ever again take anyone who tries to bargain. They will never leave you 5 stars for value. They have no frame of reference. I wonder if we need to post what the hotels are charging somewhere.

"Here! You can get a 1.5 star hotel that is way out in the suburbs for $5 less per night than we charge (plus tax)! You may have to drive an extra 30 minutes and will definitely have to rent a car, but you will get an "entire place". No kitchen and lots of noisy neighbors and shared walls. No concierge to greet you or give you recommendations. Questionable cleanliness...but it's a deal!"

I don't know what they think.

I think Tom and Reese have pointed out the most important aspect to getting a High Value rating - proper pricing.

Your price needs to be high enough so that you don't attract the unappreciative.  Ironic, but true.

People with jobs and limited time highly value their stay and are grateful for a care-free stay. They're out doing things. Low earners have higher needs . The unemployed have time to waste and problems to seek. Low earners and the unemployed are more desparate.

Yesterday, I was at my grocery store. After paying, the cashier circled a number on my receipt and said "You just saved $94.68, by shopping here"  LOL I alway roll my eyes knowing that my wallet is $200 skinnier. But the grocery stores all do this. They show a high price and then your "savings" price.  Amazon does it.  They alway feature a slashed price and say "you save 40%"

However the hotel business does not show comparision prices like this.

Interesting. This is disruptive Airbnb - not the hotel industry. Maybe we can show  our guest a comparible room price with a slash through it. "You've saved 50%"  Tacky, but effective?

Hi Paul...very true. The value is always rated by the person who is paying! A host may have the perfect location, cleanliness, accuracy and be a good communicator, however, most of the time these are only relevant to the guest "after" they have paid for the accommodation.

We have an excellent location very close to the beach. Our home is always spotlessly clean and has all of the amenities.  We are also one of the lowest priced homes in the area. There are no hotels or motels in our beachside town. Yet, we sometimes get pinged on location and value. 

I believe that this is something you can't change as it's entirely up to the individual guest making the booking. I do agree that you can alter it somewhat by pricing your home to eliminate certain guests as you've mentioned. This bigger issue, however, is that Airbnb seems to be driving a price point for hosts. I'm constantly being notified of how I can lift my bookings for the next couple of months and, it's always price related. We're talking reducing a 3 bedroom 2 bath home near to the beach in a high demand area from $125 per night to $67 per night or, sometimes even lower!  Is this contributing to the value part of the stay?

I can assure you that if you drop your per night price by 50% there will always be guests who will still mark you down on value. Sadly, it's just human nature. After 4 months of hosting, we've learned so much. One of those things is to not let this worry us. My suggestion is to come into the Airbnb Community for support and vent your frustrations here!

Good luck and happy hosting!!

Ive just read this and breathed a sign of relief. I really like your view on the issue of pricing and being marked down for value.

I have 5 star reviews for everything and I've only ever been marked down for value. To me it just doesnt make sense. How can a guest give you 5 star for everything and then mark down for value...surely if it is all perfect then it is also good value? I also totally agree with your views about price tips...absolute rubbish. My cottage is in the Cotswolds UK, this is one of the most expensive holiday areas of the UK outside London yet Airbnb suggest I rent my entire cottage out for £60 per night for 3 people. A local hotel room will cost you at best £90 for a room for two. 

I like others spend a lot of time worrying about reviews and I'm often fretting about my price point. I think i need to stop worrying.

Hello, I agree with you I feel the same.

Some people just can’t bring themselves to mark everything as 5*. I have beach properties overlooking the sea. At first I’d get upset at the odd 4* for value. I tried and tried to understand it. Until one day I was talking to a guest, him and his family said they loved the place so much, they booked to come back. He marked us down on value, go figure. We do price for the type of guest we want to return. I stopped giving discounts for guests who ask as I find those people to be the worst. 

Kimberly178
Level 3
Oklahoma, United States

I just think guests base their stay on how they FEEL. 

Maria758
Level 9
Washington, DC

Hola @Nathan92 !

All these hosts have some very good points.  There really so no way of knowing what a guest(s) will post in their review comments and what they will provide you in terms of scores.  The only thing you have control over is doing your best and being the best host you can be.  After that, there are just too many uncontrolable variables that can steer a guest to write a "not so favorable" review.

Luckily, we do have the option to respond to negative reviews and, if you really want to exercise some practices to up your chances of getting a "5-Star Rating," check out this blog article from the Airbnb Blog:  Getting Positive Reviews.

Also, here is an article from Forbes' Blog that talks about How Hosts Should Deal with Bad Reviews.

Hope this is helpful, or at least has put you a little at ease.  Let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help!

Happy Hosting!

Izzie, Co-Host

LOV Puerto Rico

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

If 20% of my guests are telling me the same thing... I'm going to listen.  

I checked your listings and compared to others in the area.  And honestly, yours wouldn't be my first choice in some respects.  The spaces look sparse and lack an inviting cozy feel.  I read one of your reviews about a coffee maker - and honestly it was the first thing I noticed.  Lack of amenities.  Even if there is a french press, is there a kettle?  Or is the guest to microwave the water.  I wouldn't do it... I'd drive a coffee shop first.  And it's not that a french press is bad... I offer one to my guests!  But the bathroom in one listing shows three towels, no toileties of any type, no TV, no extra pillows, no art on the walls. When compared to other local listings for the same or even lower price, I'm chosing the place that would be more comfortable.  When I rent a whole house sort of place, I do so because I want it to feel like a home.  If I just need a bed and a shower, I rent a room or a cheap hotel.  You are offering a whole house, with fewer ammenities than the cheap hotel.  

Now granted, I'm basing my opinions on your photos - which may or may not be an accurate reprensentation.  I know I've had to update mine as I added things to my space.  But since your guests are repeatedly telling you something... I might not be too far off base.  

I hope I didn't cause any offense - I ran out of sugar coating about 40 something years ago.  ;o)

Definitely good feedback, but it mostly relates to what you see in the listing -- and the bottom line is that guests know exactly what they're booking when they book it, and they still ding me on value. 

In fact, there is a kettle and a french press and fresh coffee, soaps, shampoo, conditioner, lots of towels, extra pillows, towels, art on the walls. The photos are old and the place has more amenities than what is shown in the photos. So if anything, their expectations are being exceeded.

The hotels in this area are more expensive, more sparse, and quite run down. I'm not going to lower my prices so they get a better value, because they're already getting a better value given the market.

I do not want to offer a television, as I specifically want guests in my house who are interested in sitting in a hot tub or relaxing on a deck and enjoying some quiet time after long hikes in the National Park. So that's a non starter. If they want a TV, they can go book a place with a TV. 

Isn't that the thing? Under promise and over deliver?

I would update the photos.  I don't want to rely on people being "pleasantly surprised" that my space is better than expected.  I want them to WANT to stay with me.  

True story... 

We took a family trip with multiple airbnb stays.  One of them wasn't a 5* property or stay.  The important thing - a clean comfy bed was there, so I didn't leave a bad review.  But here's where the story relates to you and your property...

My daughter asked why I chose this place when there were "nicer" places in the area.  The truth was it was the space that was available at the time and place we needed it.  Some of the "nicer" places were the same price but they were booked.  So my daughter didn't think this place was a good value... wished we could have stayed someplace nicer for the same cost.  She felt we "settled". And in some ways we did, but I wasn't staying there for an experience, I needed a place to sleep.  Your guests are experience guests... not just weary travelers passing through.  

There is something happening in your guests minds, if 20% of them are dinging you on value.  I'd ask the next one who deducts on value, what would have improved it.  

No, that totally makes sense and is good advice. You're right. Encourage excitement, not just exceed expectations.

Under promise, over deliver.