How to handle a sick guest?

Suzanne268
Level 2
West Bay Road, Canada

How to handle a sick guest?

I have a guest arriving today and as usual I wrote them to find out about what time they expected to arrive. They replied that they were not sure because one of them was sick and had to go see a doctor. I wrote back my sympathy and asked them to let me know what the doctor said and if it was contagious, so that I could alert the other guests also arriving today. 

My question is, how should I handle it? If I cancel the sick guest, isn't that too uncompassionate? Besides, will I lose my Superhost status if I do? I do feel I should warn the other guests NOW but we won't know what the doctor results are until later today, probably too late for them to find another place if they don't feel safe coming here. 

Any advice appreciated! 

4 Replies 4
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Suzanne268 Perhaps best to do nothing, especially cancelling which you should never do anyway, until further notice. Wait on what the guest decides to do (based on what the doctor says) and then react accordingly.

OK, I will not say anything to the other guests for now. But usually a sudden illness like this is the flu... or a cold... and the problem is that both sets of guests will share the bathroom. If this is the case, what would you do? Simply let them come, and leave out lots of antiseptic hand wash, and let the healthy guests know? If they did decide it was not safe for them to come, I would let them have a refund under Extenuating Circumstances. 

@Suzanne268

If you feel you should cancel, in consideration of the health of yourself, other guests and anyone else who will be in your home, you can BUT make sure you contact Airbnb to explain WHY you need to cancel, also keep all communication with the guest(s) on Airbnb messenger so you have proof of them telling you about the doctor's appointment and you asking whether it is contagious. IMO, if you are cancelling due to health and safety concerns, you may need to provide some sort of proof for your concern in order to avoid penalties.  

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Guest-shows-up-with-a-virus/m-p/485063

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Guest-with-fungal-infection-showing-up-at-doorstep/m-p/8...

Thank you, I will document this thoroughly. And thank you for those links, I hadn't found them.