I don't want a guest to return

I don't want a guest to return

I hosted a guest that I would prefer to not return to our home.  I can see that I have the option to report and block her, but that seems so extreme.  I have considered just reaching out to ask her not to rebook with us, but I don't want to start a conversation with her.  In reality I don't think that she would want to rebook with us either, but I prefer not to take a chance as this is my home.  Is there a way to block one person from booking without reporting them?

14 Replies 14

@Alfred-and-Lynda0   I have read that If you give them less than 3 stars in the review that will block them from booking your place again, you can also thumb them down.

Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

@Alfred-and-Lynda0I would think about why you never want this guest back in your home. Did you feel threatened or uncomfortable? Were they rude and /or disrespectful to you?  Did they violate your house rules or Airbnb standards? If any of these are true, I would definitely not want to host in my home! And a thumbs down would be appropriate.

Did they break things? Were they really dirty? Were they loud and refused to be quiet?  Well, I would not want to host them necessarily, so maybe say, "Guest not suited for shared accommodations" or "Guest would be happier in a hotel".

Was there a personality clash? Just send them a note, asking them not to rebook or refuse any future booking.

Just my 2 1/2 cents!

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Block them.

That's the beauty of the internet.

You become invisible, that's all.  It is not considered anti-social or extreme.

If airbnb requieres a reason, say inreconcible differences or "our personalities clashed"

@Alfred-and-Lynda0 the report/block is no big deal. Hides you from them. Abb does nothing about the report. Do so with no guilt

@Kelly149 and @Paul154, thank you!  I didn't realize that ABB didn't do anything if I report and block. I don't want this person to have negative consequences, I just don't want her back here.  Possible, but doubtful, problem solved!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

If you do not want them back and the guest already senses that, and you sense they won't even want to come back, why not forget about them and deal with it ~IF~ it comes up, which is unlikely.

I don't want to take a chance on having to cancel them!

You will never have to cancel them if you don't 'Accept' them in the first place. If the guest still doesn't get it after being outright rejected, you can spell it all out then. Do what you think is best, but the 'reaching out to ask her not to rebook with us' comes across as opening a Pandora's box; no one likes to be rejected, so why do so before you really have to?

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Alfred-and-Lynda0

If you give less than 4 stars to the guest in the review (any category), the guest will not be able to book your listing via Instant Booking. The guest will  have to ask. Then you can decline or just tell the guest that you think he/she is not fit for your listing.

I also think that, If you thumb the guest down when reviewing, they will not be able to book your listing again.

Have you already reviewed the guest in question? 

I didn't know this and I already gave her five stars.  Because it was a personality issue, I didn't want to mark her down on ABB.  I guess I need a backbone!

Giving 5 stars was the right thing if it were a personality issue.

Just because we don't like someone and don't want them to return does not mean they should become homeless.

And please don't "reach out" to them.

"Hi guest, I gave you 5 stars, but I don't like you"

They don't need your validation.

Just block them and put a period on this.

@Alfred-and-Lynda0   You have a point, it's unfair to penalize guest for anything other that what Airbnb has a rating for,  personality is not one of them.

I do not know why Airbnb just don't add a 'block' button for hosts instead of having, as only option for blocking, what amounts to giving a dishonest rating that ruins the guests profile and prevents them from using IB.

I have had guests who were 5-star on the categories we can rate them on, but I never want to see them again, however they would be perfect guests in non-shared spaces.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Alfred-and-Lynda0,

As @J-Renato0 and @Ange2 mention here about giving a 3 star rating. Last July, I posted a short note about this here in the Community Center, take a look here.

I hope this helps.

Lizzie 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Jill86
Level 2
Narrawong, Australia

I agree with Ange. It is unfair for either host or guest to enter a lower rating based on personality. Giving 3 stars is dishonest if the guest has been perfectly tidy and observed all the house rules.