I just need to vent/rant about a review, what else, and my little dilemma!

Lilia22
Level 6
Bluffton, SC

I just need to vent/rant about a review, what else, and my little dilemma!

So, as a hostess, I offer bottled water, coffee, tea, some bookings get a bottle of wine, oil, salt, pepper, olive oil, nut bars, sugar, creamers, powder creamer, hot chocolate, small candy bars and that is just my kitchen!

As for the bathroom, toiletries galore for him and her, eye make up remover, hair spray, wipes, first Aid kit, tooth brushes, floss, body cream, razors, baby powder, personal spray for him and her.  As for the beach, sunscreen, mosquitos repelant, beach chairs and umbrella, cooler, ice packs, umbrella, tennis rackets, a water toy.

And in the bedroom, extra pillows, fan, sewing kit, lint remover, and I will stop here!

So these guests that left today, the ones I told they could check in up to four hours prior to check in time which is 4 pm, the ones that had flowers and a bottle of wine waiting for them, 

the ones I had to wait until 11:05 am for them to leave (check out is 11 am!) and I wanted to give the incoming guests extra time for earlier check in too,

the ones that broke one of the mimosa glasses (did inform me of) and replaced it with a Dollar store two beer glasses, because he liked them, (and Dollar store did not have the champagne glasses),

the ones that left the kitchen a Mess, (you should see the color of the dish rag), the dinning table and floor didn't look much better,

didn't even remove the garbage or put the dishes away,

must have fried everything because the 625 sq. feet that is the villa stinked up like a KFC..., and let me add that I didn't work my part-time this am because I had a feeling that I was going to clean a lot... sure enough!, GAVE ME A FOUR STAR FOR VALUE!  Everything else a five star and he recommends the villa!!!

Upon a guest's review, I always acknowledge it and say something polite and positive in turn.  I am very open, so if someone complains privately i.e. of noise in the building's hallway, I do acknowledge in private and publicly.  I have nothing to hide, literally!  My reviews speak for themselves! 

My dilemma is (and I came here first before I reply to his review),

should I ask him point blank why a four star on value (after I offer everything you just read)??? 

Usually, it's the location (mind they choose the place and apparently don't look at any of the maps, pictures, etc.) that gets me four stars, to which I have replied to a guest stating whatelse am I suppose to do if they are not looking at the description, map, distances in miles, etc. OR

for the first time ever, I should just ignore this one review, like I see other hosts doing, and move along with my business.

Just wondering what would you do?

End of vent/rant.  Thanks for reading.

41 Replies 41
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

I would ask privately, not on the public review. 

Hi Letitia, thanks for your input.  Why privately?

I forgot to mention that yesterday they asked me if the villa was free for one more night; unfortunately (...), as they checked out today, I had other guests checking in.  At that time, apparently, the VALUE was not an issue!  See what I mean?  And my prices, all under $99 with cleaning included!!!!

If you address the 4 star value rating publicly it will bring it to the attention of future guests. Why would you want that?

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello,

I would not bother and move along. There is nothing to win (will not change in 5 star...).

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Is there anything he could say that would make you change your pricing?

No. it costs what it costs and he booked it. If anything he’s probably annoyed at the abb fees that get added without recognizing that has nothing to do with you. 

He cant change your mind and you don’t need to change his. Move on. Maybe charge more & do more. May lead to a more grateful clientele 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

You have 2 choices:

1. Let it slide. Continue to be a generous host and get your praise from the next guests.

OR

2. Become like me. Don't give them diddly!

Paul... you crack me up... one of these days when I return to Seattle, we have to meet :O)

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Lilia, I don't think I would want to host this guest given your description of him here. However, all of his reviews are glowing. Including yours. I guess the next host will just have to live and learn.

Hi Emilia...

Thanks for noticing what I carefully worded as his review... and as for my review of how clean they were, I gave him four (4) stars ... lol; I knew they were up to something.. glad I also left my imprint on his background.

And why I want/wanted showed to everyone?  Because I have nothing to hide... NOTHING.  If people are too lazy to even read the message I send them with check in instructions and their code, too bad for them... LAZY!  Can lead the horse to the water, but not the water to the horse... unless it rains torrentially!!!

It just frustrates me as I bust my butt, like all of us here, to have people be so ungrateful and making no sense as to how they grade us. 

I wouldn't reply to his review because his written review brings up no issue; you're shooting yourself in the foot by bringing things into public that were mentioned in private. Some might even consider it disrespectful for you to reply in public to a private comment. Remember your replies are less for the guest and more for your future guests. If you have something to discuss, I suggest you do so through private messaging.

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Lilia0

Seeing that you comment on almost every review, not commenting on his would be comment enough.

Consider this:  they must be some kind of jerks, miserable, thoughtless people . . . and looking to spread their misery.

In a private message, after this thread has run, you can copy the link to this thread

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/I-just-need-to-vent-rant-about-a-review-what-else-and-my...

And send to him  along with a spiffy comment of your choice.

You've heard the old axiom: Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Hi John.  I have to agree with you and everyone else... not commenting back on his review... is comment enough ;o)

As hosts, we have to protect each other... and I have been very careful to pass the message around but in a sweet way... as you catch flies better with honey than vinegar.  Just hope other hosts see that.

I don't understand how you can say this? Your review gives no real clue that he was a less than stellar guest. In fact you say A+!!! Do you really think he's in the top 5% of Airbnb guests? All the things you mentioned would put him in the bottom 10% of mine.

I don't think you're protecting other hosts at all by stating things in such a veiled way. "Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean."