I just received an offer for a fulltime job. I won't be able to continue hosting.

Anne473
Level 1
Portland, OR

I just received an offer for a fulltime job. I won't be able to continue hosting.

What's the best way to cancel my upcoming guests? What if I want to host again in a year or two? 

8 Replies 8
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Anne473

As you know Airbnb takes host cancellations very seriously and penalises hosts who do so financially and with other penalties (not so important for you if you aren't going to carry on hostings.

In your situation. I would snooze your listing so you don't receive any more bookings immediately.

Then I would find a friend or family member to handle the check in/check out for you for the bookings you have already made, so you won't be out of pocket.

Many of us hosts work full time and manage our check in's around our working hours, so you could also consider this or have an automated check in.

@Anne473 - Great news that you've been offered a full-time job.  Yeah you!

However, you should not cancel any reservations for a number of reasons:

1. There are financial penalties that you incur with each cancellation. 

2. There is an automated review that says you cancelled for each one and those will show up even if you come back to Airbnb later (you already have one of these and multiple cancellations means Airbnb will pull you and not let you host again). 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reser...

3. You will be ruining someone's vacation and plans - that's not cool - how would you feel if a host cancelled your vacation?

There are some things you can do:

1. Provide a self-service entry - it's an all-house property so you can provide a lock box or keyless entry system and hire a bonded cleaner who will come in after each guest and do the turn over.  

2. Look for a co-host to help you out for the remainder of your reservations

3. Talk to the guests and see if you can adjust their check in time until after you get home from work. 

4. Hire a property management company to handle check-in, maintenance and cleaning. 

Most of all,  Snooze your listing right now!  You have Instant Book turned on and that means a guest can book the days you currently have open and that will compound the problem. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/476/how-do-i-snooze-or-deactivate-my-listing

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Honor the existing bookings, then block out your calendar, another option.

Does airbnb penalize for blocked off dates?

Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Anne473   Actually Anne, there is ONE more option.  It will take some time on your part but the guests will appreciate you so much more and so will Airbnb.  This is the BEST way to take care of this situation. 

EDITED:  to fix typo error

1.  Contact AIRBNB and inform them that you are unable to host your upcoming bookings due to a new job and would like the opportunity to find new places for your guests.  Communication is KEY here.  Host who cancel are not really doing right by the guests.  There is no need to cancel on anyone. 

HOWEVER, this part is very important.

2.  Start looking for comparable places for your guests to see if they are able to stay elsewhere based on their needs and other host calendars.   (MOST IMPORTANT)

3.  Communicate with each guests and explain your situation if you are NOT able to use the other options that @Alice-and-Jeff0  metioned in their reply post and offer to help your guests find a new accommodation in your area within their price range of your place and see if the others host are willing to take your bookings.  (this requires some extra communication on your part with your guests and other hosts)

4. Try to thing of something VERY NICE you can do to make up for this inconvenience of moving your guest to another place.  Perhaps drop off muffins, or call UBEREATS to have them deliver the muffins or pick them up from the airport.....provide this service for free.  Trust me, this wil be cheaper then you getting penalized for each booking you can't host and might be cancelling. 

5.  I can tell you from experience, that ABB really appreciated what I did to move a booking to another host by doing all the leg work and constant ongoing communications between the couple and their new host.  

6.  If your guests writes back and agrees with the listing you have sent them, ABB will help them move their entire reservation and all monies involved to that booking without any penalty to you.  (THEY DID THIS FOR ME) plus refund the guest 10%! 

7.  Here is what ABB actually said....."We wish more hosts were as proactive as you to take care of the guest first and not cancel on them outright.  Therefore Momi, we will not access any penalty to you as a Superhost since your guests has agreed to the new listing."

8.  The good news...my guests (who needed to be moved due to my family emergency trip) actually got a new PRIVATE ROOM at a beatuiful Beach house, (better location then my home) and for the same price bc I got the host to lower their price for this gauranteed booking.  I even made arrangemenets to have UBER pick them up at the airport with my account to get them to their new listing stress free. 

9.  The guests wrote me later to say that if they ever came back to Hawaii, they would book with me again for all that I did to take care of them, even though they did end up enjoying their ABB stay.  Partially bc they really want to experience my special ABB breakfasts that I prepare every morning.   I sure hope they do! 😉

10.  Keep in mind, if you do end up cancellling each booking, you will be accessed a fee per booking that will need to be paid before you can start collecting any payouts from future host reservations.  Make sense?

Not sure how many bookings you are talking about, but all you have to do is take it one booking at a time.   Wish you all the best with your new job and hope one day you decide to come back to hosting.  

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

@Momi0 - of course, you have provided the most thoughtful and wonderful way to treat a guest and solve the problem at the same time!  I will remember this option!  

@Alice-and-Jeff0 Aaawwww you guys are so sweet to take the time to write that. I'm glad you also find my option to be a better one for you as well. 

I recently hosted a couple from Austria who booked me 7 months in advance.  They actually booked me and another host on the BIg Island of Hawaii.  This same guests of mine reached out to me after their other Hawaii host cancelled on them just 10 days before they were due to arrive in Hawaii asking if I could recommend anyone. The good news is, yes I could, and the new host was thrilled I reached out to him for this booking and even lowered his rate to get the booking plus made them breakfast their first morning to show his appreciation to me bc I kindly asked him to make up for that other host who cancelled WITH NO EXPLANATION! Yeah I was shocked too.  (he doesn't offer breakfast on his listing but he and I are friends through social media)

Thats the power of social media is how many hosts I meet and get to know that allows me to help other guests who might need that extra bit of service to ease their stress after being cancelled on. So I have started my own list of hosts who I have gotten to know, watch their reviews, and communicate with them so it's easy to send them a booking. I think if other hosts did this the cancellations would go down considerably which is why it's also a good idea to join a city home sharing club too to meet these hosts that might one day may be able to either help you as a Co Host for a simple booking one time or to take that booking off your hands should you find yourselves in a bind and can't host. 

By the way, that 5 Star couple from Austria sent me a GREAT happy photo of them and their new host eating my mangos that I gave them to carry over because in our culture, you never show up empty handed to a home in Hawai'i and they wanted to eat more of Momi's mangos.  haha

EDITED:  to fix typos bc ABB mobile app doesnt work on back space feature to correct errors.  hahaha

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Amazing overview @Momi0. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.