I wish we could rate guests based on their ability to read the information provided.

Marilyn43
Level 10
Back Valley, Australia

I wish we could rate guests based on their ability to read the information provided.

I have had several guests who do not read the information of my listing correctly and then complain about what is not included i.e. a washing-machine. Then they downrate the listing because it didn't have everything they wanted.

For hosts there is no comeback on this and yet we don't force people to book: it is their decision.

I feel we need  a way to rate guests based on the fact they don't do their homework.

131 Replies 131
Marilyn43
Level 10
Back Valley, Australia

Thanks Robin.

Pamela95
Level 2
Salisbury, GB

I agree Marilyn I tell my guests in my blog that they share the bathroom with other guests if we have any and then I was marked down because she had to share the bathroom. 

Jacqueline270
Level 1
Mossel Bay, South Africa

hi everyone!

As I'm sitting here I've just had this "old-man" review me!

Really! My pictures of my place shows clearly....... taken @ 360degrees what my space looks like. 

my description says studio. my layout says comon spaces sleeper couch and double bed.

When they booked in he was very upset that it wasn't a 2 bedroom apartment. I immediatly opened the app on my phone and showed him what he booked, then he agreed, he made an mistake. I then offerred for one of them to sleep in one of the bedrooms in our house.... one of my kids bedrooms!  he then said its fine, he will accept he made a mistake! 

Now with the review, he gave me a 3 star rating. 

all my other guest avraged on a 5 star!

Sometimes it doesn't matter how much you lean over backwards to make guests happy, they still want to blame anyone but themselves. I guess they are just unhappy people, but it is very frustrating that their unhappiness is reflected in our ratings.

Totally agree with this! They just go through the reviews and the pictures without reading the information given on the profile. They go on to demand things just because they feel that they deserve all that for the money that they are paying.

Marilyn43
Level 10
Back Valley, Australia

Yes, the reply is often 'for the money I paid we should have had etc.....' even though they're paying LESS for my beautiful 3 bedroom house than they would pay for a  1 bedroom cabin in the local caravan park.

Creed-and-Melody0
Level 2
Summit Park, UT

This would be a welcome addition for hosts. I consitently get fewer star based on my location. Even though it mentions our location to the nearest town literally in the second line of our discription.  It's frustrating to get less than 5 stars when my hand are tied. Its the guests fault for not reading the listing description yet i am the one being penalized because of thier lack of research.

I know how it feels. Mostly, guests don't read house rules and the listing description.

Wow, I feel your pain and then they give you poor scores because they don't want to read the information or or even the description.

Cate20
Level 2
Bury St Edmunds, GB

I've just received what I consider to be a very unfair review from a young woman who had disregarded or not read the house rule regarding no outdoor shoes indoors. Not only is it on my listing but it is repeated in the house manula in the guests room. I politely reminded her a couple of times as she stomped upstairs in muddy boots on a cream coloured carpet. For that I received low stars on all sections. Cleanliness, accuracy etc!! My house is very clean and the other reviews seem to reflect that I am a friendly and welcoming host. I've got to admit I am shocked at how glibly one unpleasant guest can damage one's reputation out of sheer spite.

Yes all guests should check a box to say that they have read and understood the house rules without a doubt!

I agree with you Cate. I've experienced the same thing from a guest and the worse thing is that the guest that booked did not even stay in the unit. She was asked by the guest to book on her behalf and then the other friend is the one that stayed and complained all over during her stay.  She made our ranking drop drastically just because the staying guest worked up an issue that is not called for. She complains about a lot of things even with the keyless entry which if she happened to have the pre-arrival info sheet with her, she would not have a problem. The wifi connection is just a freebie and I don't think I have to be blamed if the network is intermittent. To even think that the staying is guest is a "friend"? I did not expect that such a guest who is a friend would complain to a lot of nonsense. And Airbnb would not let me justify myself in return to every area that she rates me so low just because the guest so happens to review first. 

Jill2
Level 8
Franklin, TN

75% of guests don't read period!  So what i now do is in my first 'welcome message' template i ask them to confirm that they are aware of several for example....pool is shared with main house etc.  They do not receive the code to checkin until they have confimed these things.  Works like a charm!

Not sure why people don't read.   Takes more effort to message me and ask me where more toilet paper is etc. than just read the 2-pager on the table upon checkin.  Then everything is covered.