Instant booking

Jamie100
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

Instant booking

I am a very new host and am hoping someone can assist me.  It is my first week hosting and am still getting used to the differences in booking types.  I had the following timeline and I am unsure what to do:

- I received an enquiry about a two month stay, which I agreed to but the guest did not book. I offered for the guest to come and have a look prior to booking (as it was such a long stay, I thought they may like to see it first).

- during that period, i received some kind of booking from a second guest for one month.  I contacted them to say that I thought I had done something wrong with the site (at that time I didnt understand the process and thought I had), and as I had promised the place to the first booking, I felt obliged to honor the first booking.  I thus declined their reservation, and said I would open it on Tuesday if the first guest did not book, and give them a special offer for the inconvenience.

- while waiting for the first guest to get back to me and book, a third guest has booked for nine days over the top of the period, and I do not have the option to accept or decline (which I am not sure as to why).

I feel terrible and am not sure what to do.  Logically I feel like I should cancel the third and allow the first two to book, but when I look into this, it says I will lose my  superhost satus.   I know at the very least, I am swapping to reservation only, as my experience with this instabook feature has been very problematic as a new host!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

19 Replies 19
Patricia520
Level 2
Groveland, CA

I am a new host, too.  I am getting a request for a month.  I am ok with this...I think...but I'm not sure what to charge for a month.  AIR BnB calculated $3400 which seems expensive...do you give reduced rates for a monthly visit or is this correct.  I'm sure a security deposit should be charged also.

i need advice

Hello @Patricia520,

Airbnb was likely just multiplying the daily cost x number of days, plus cleaning fee.  If you have not put a monthly discount into your pricing settings, the price should be correct.  I do offer a discount for  month stay, but that is totally optional.  You could make this person a special offer with a discount if you want, and for future bookings, you can go into your pricing settings where you can set a weekly or monthly discount.

I'm sure if you wanted to offer your guest a discount, she would be thrilled!  On the other hand, if the guest seems very comfortable with the price, then no need.  It is hard for people to gague what the "right price" is for someone else, as there are so many variables.  I would just suggest you look at comparable sized and quality listings in your neighborhood of the same listing type, and try to come close to that.  I started with my prices somewhat lower than the going rate (from my own market research). This is often recommended to get those first guests in, but this idoes not seem to be a 

problem for you.

Patricia520
Level 2
Groveland, CA

How do you decide how much to charge for a monthly booking.  I am new.  Should I just go with the "smart booking"?

Patricia520
Level 2
Groveland, CA

How do you decide what to charge for a monthly stay?

Hi @Patricia520,

I never go with smart pricing.  It is always too low.  I think the company is pushing this almost to keep prices low, to prevent people from using other sites.  I technically have it turned on, but I always override it.

I would just go with your regular pricex30 days, and then offer a 10% discount (if you want).  This discount is ostensibly because you do not have to deal with the rigamarole of cleaning/waiting for arrival/tour of space/etc.