Is anyone else receiving awful customer service? ( this poor service is new)

Kathryn75
Level 10
Colorado, United States

Is anyone else receiving awful customer service? ( this poor service is new)

Hi all,

Unfortunately, as a host,  I have had to reach out to customer service 4 different times in the last three months, and each time I have had horrible support via email and phone calls.

Emails bounce back. Claims are closed without review. Support is not immediate, I had to wait for two months for assistance with one claim.

I have been a full time host and occasional guest with AirBnB since 2009. Over this time span, when something comes up, I receive immediate, top notch support and resolution. Now, perhaps in the last 6 months, I am experiencing a serious decline in service.

Are other people experiencing this? 

To me, if I don't have great customer service, or reimbursement support for claims ( mine was a proven theft with police report) then why pay fees to AirBnB? Why stay with AirBnB?  I am quite perplexed, as this has been a nice business for me, and I feel it may be time to leave AirBnB. Are others feeling this way too?

273 Replies 273
Kathryn75
Level 10
Colorado, United States

Oh yea! The hang ups happen at customer service all the time? What's that about? 

Liz121
Level 6
Los Angeles, CA

The one constant issue that is absolutely avoided like the plague by the higher ups @ Airbnb is the lack of accountability with their customer service reps, managers included.  It is so infuriating.  You are lucky that you had good support at one time.  I joined Airbnb about 6 months ago, the time you state they stated oing downhill with their custoemr srvice, so it has always been horrific as far as I'm concerned.  Zero accountability, zero respect for your issues or concers, they just don't care and no one is making them care.  It's a real problem.  Somoen suggested going on their FB and twitter and posting about this.  That is an excellent idea.  I am not very social media literate, but I hope people do this.

Kathryn75
Level 10
Colorado, United States

Liz, I hope you and I both do better with VRBO and Trip Advisor/HouseTrip/FlipKey. I haven't had any sucess with Facebook or Tweets to AirBnB and I am a professional social media strategist. 

I hate to agree with you, but I don't think AirBnB cares about the customer service delcine. Seems dumb to me. 
Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
I'm leaving AirBnB

Wow.  Such horror stories!  Can you let us know how VRBO is?

Andrea863
Level 1
Santiago de Querétaro, Mexico

During my 4 years as a host there have been several ocassions in which I have felt abused as a host, both by guests and by Airbnb who always takes their side. There's no point going into detail, but us hosts are definitely on our own, even when dealing with new users (the worst are new and elderly users) who have no idea how to use Airbnb and interpret listings. I find it unbelievable that when it's their word against mine (with 4.5 star reviews and higher and years of being a host), they take their word.

Andrea your comment is extremely accurate. I had a really bad experience just last month with a guest, this was the guests second time using Airbnb. I am not going to talk about the complain but how Airbnb just took guests sides. I mentioned the Airbnb agent that I had more than 3 years as a host, that experience somehow should count, solving an issue should be based on facts and not just a person having a bad day. Airbnb just wants to solve issues ASAP and they will go for the guest instead of the host, cashing out of your pocket without your approval. 

Kathryn75
Level 10
Colorado, United States

I have had exactly the same experience. There is limited support for us hosts, It's so unacceptable! I'd say about 75% of my guests don't know how AirBnB works, are having problems with their App and have never used the computer version of AirBnB

Aldemir0
Level 1
Boston, MA

I never want to use Airbnb again . HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. They say someone will call you back and never do .

they need to be sued .

run from this company that doesn't respect customers.

Kathryn75
Level 10
Colorado, United States

Run! Run!

I have heard that a class action lawsuit is in the making. I'd prefer to not get involved in the suit, but if I get more details I'll post them here.

Anfe0
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

AirBnB has kept my host money, for 2 weeks and counting! The last two sets of guest checked in, had a wonderful stay, checked out, left me 5 star reviews, and STILL I have received zero funds for the completed stays. I have called customer service 17 times, to try to get my payout. Customer NO Service tells me the matter was Escalated and now has a Case Manager and has been given Urgent status. I have been hearing that particular nonsense for a week. Everytime I request a supervisor, none will end up on the phone. This is VERY Bad Business on the part of AirBnB. Totally bogus they would be allowed to keep my money for 2 weeks and use out for Their gain!!! I would like to warn everyone out there to beware of AirBnB. They are NOT as reputable as you think! Just read their reviews.

Kathryn75
Level 10
Colorado, United States

I agree with you. I hope you have since been reimbursed!

Liz121
Level 6
Los Angeles, CA

Unfortunatley, yes, I do agree, but you can't really talk about this sort of thing in an open forum.  I had my account threatened with termination when I complained abut the customer service in the "open forums" so I try not to do that anymore.  It's such a shame they lack in customer service.  Everythnig else is so great but this one area they simply refuse to address.  I also believe they have bloggers in their forums to combat complaints.  In general they do not want to hear about their shoddy customer service.  Although I love Airbnb in so many ways, this one issue is a really big one with them.  Eventually, if it is not dealt with, yes people should and will leave.  It's just a matter of reaching that breaking point.  I have come close but not cut the cord, always hoping it will improve. 

There is always airhostsfoum which is not an arm ofAbnb and I think you can give whichever name u care to.   Take alook.

Thank you Amy, but I've given up on them improving their customer service.  Complaining about it is llike banging your head against a wall.  I get enough benefits from usng Airbnb and they do do some of their customer service well, but it is the other areas that need improvement which will probably never happen...so I've just given up on it.  If it ever gets so bad that it outweighs the benefits of utilitzing their platform (whichI hope it won't) I will just leave.

Shannon118
Level 2
Woodbridge, VA

YES!!!! The following is feedback I just submitted for my most recent issue:

I recently had an issue with the Airbnb app and an instant book guest. The instant book guest booked the room and added another guest to the reservation that was going to arrive within less than an hour of the booking. My policy due to an issue I had with another guest and is included in my instant booking rules, is to link additional guests via an Airbnb account, for my security if they are not a married couple. This has worked in the past, however, this time I was not able to see the additional guests information through the app (also reported as a bug) and due to the disrespectful responses and expectation of access for her guest without even confirmation of the reservation, I canceled the reservation. Since booking and cancellation were the same day, I had to call to cancel, was on hold for 20 minutes and then the call dropped. I called back and was on hold another 15 minutes. At first, the agent was very pleasant and seemingly helpful but then proceeded to misinform me that I was going to lose my superhost status and incur other penalties for cancelling the reservation, while also commenting that she had to call my guest, because they were now without accommodation, implying that I should have just let a complete and unverified stranger into my home? The next day, I did my own research on the cancellation policies and discovered that my calendar was still blocked from future reservations, when according to what I read, I was well within my right as a host to "cancel an instant booking that I am not comfortable with". When I called for further information and again explained the situation, I was told by the agent "you're going to have to deal with difficult guests" but did remove the penalties from my profile.
This is my only form of income at the moment but I do not and should not feel that I should let just anyone into my home, especially if they are disrespectful and lack the mindfullness of the fact that they are coming into someone's personal space. I have also called in the beginning for other glitches that I have come across with your software and app (After numerous attempts to "confirm my email address", I STILL have this notification on my dashboard). Again, I felt since your agent couldn't figure out what I was talking about, that I was dismissed and treated like I was the issue.
Although I am very grateful for the opportunity to connect with people, while also earning income this way, I feel the attitude of your agents should not be completely guest driven. This option wouldn't exist without hosts, right? This is my home and livelihood at the moment and I should not be asked to compromise common courtesy and respect from the people that visit. Would you allow it in your home?
I am sure your agents also get "bad hosts" as well, with ridiculous requests and demands. All I am asking is that your agents be properly trained for ALL situations and to stop making assumptions. Not only did the guest have to find other accommodation (there are other Airbnb's or hotels), I lost an entire weekend of income because of the situation. Who's going to make up for that? It would also be wonderful if you could fix the system issues I have mentioned, as none of this would have happened if it was working properly!