Is it okay to decline an inquiry because the guest has no reviews?

Answered!
Joan73
Level 2
Arlington, VA

Is it okay to decline an inquiry because the guest has no reviews?

I've got an inquiry for a guest that's never used Airbnb before. He only has one verification. Is it a valid reason not to accept?

Thanks.

1 Best Answer
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Joan73 ,

If it is only an inquiry, you only have to answer the question to keep your respons rate. No need to decline or accept. On the other hand: you can ask for more verification (like ID) :

Can I require guests to be verified before booking?

Best regards,

Emiel

View Best Answer in original post

19 Replies 19
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Joan73 ,

If it is only an inquiry, you only have to answer the question to keep your respons rate. No need to decline or accept. On the other hand: you can ask for more verification (like ID) :

Can I require guests to be verified before booking?

Best regards,

Emiel

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Joan73 If everyone declined people with no reviews then how would any new people ever get to get a review? I agree with Emiel - ensure they have adequate id and take a chance. 

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

A more valid reason not to accept them would be lack of communication on their side. Have you exchanged any messages with them, @Joan73, to simply recognize who they are?

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Joan73   Is it only an inquiry? The word Inquiry and Accept usually do not go together.

BTW, forgot to say, 90% of my applicants are brand new to Airbnb, which happens because I have a 'lead offering' for Airbnb, but important to note those 'risky' guests have all been cool. 

Erica35
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

I don't need everyone to have been reviewed before, but I do appreciate when someone uses their actual name and not an alias. Case in point, just declined a request from someone named Punkin Shortstuff, because I could not verify who it was and the person had no reviews. I live alone and need to feel safe. I don't think its too much to ask for someone to use their actual name . Also when I replied to this person explaining why I was uncomfortable I got a Very rude message back. GLAD I DECLINED.

David1705
Level 2
Big Bear Lake, CA

@Joan73  I declined two groups before accepting anyone. One was a bachelor party, which was too sketchy for me and the other was a rock band that wanted to write and record material in the house. I politely recommened alternatives to them, and they were gracious, and It did not seem to hurt bookings or ratings.

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Joan73 Are you in a financial position to decline bookings? If your motivation for Airbnb is to make money, it has to be a low bar. Valid ID and all that stuff. Even ask for the full legal names of anyone being in the but you have to sell nights.

if you’re not in a bind, you can pick and choose. That’s a very nice position to be in. 

‘You know it’s hard out her for a Host’

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

As a host, I can tell you that if the guests didn't book because a host had no reviews, none of us could ever have gotten successful at this. My very first guest, who turned out to be great, really lively gal, said shortly after she arrived- "You didn't have any reviews!" I said "That´s cause I just started hosting and you're my lucky first guest!" So it's gotta work both ways, some hosts are new, some guests are new.

That said, anyone you feel uncomfortable with or have gut doubts about, after exchanging a message or two, decline. Our intuition is right more often than wrong. But not just based on lack of a review.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

PS That first guest gave me a lengthy, wonderful review which I credit with getting lots of bookings rolling in right after that.

Welcome0
Level 10
Hicksville, NY

@Joan73 Before turning them down, chat with the guest and establish information as to the reason for the trip. Ask for Govt ID from Airbnb. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Joan73,

Lovely to meet you, it is great to see you here in the Community Center.

You have received some great responses here and a few things to think about. I just wondered what you decided to do in the end?

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Joan73  @Fred  @Marzena  @Welcome0........Joan you are quite at liberty to decline a reservation request. As long as you do not do it too often it will have no effect on your stats.

Just remember Joan, we were all cleanskins once!

How would you react to a booking request from the guest who belongs to this profile?

Cleanskin.png

I accepted that booking and she was a lovely young girl who turned out to be a perfect guests to host.

She now has a nice review on her page .........Would you change your mind if, instead of what I saw, you saw this.....

Cleanskin 2.png

Not everyone who has scant verifications turns out to be the guest from hell. Over the last two years I have taken on a number of guests whose profiles looked just like Sonya's...... and they all turned out to be wonderful guests to host.

Instead of worrying so much about  what their past is Joan, pay particular attention to the wording in their reservation request or IB introduction. Have they come to you in a passive way or an aggressive way! Have they liked what they see and just want to book, or do they have a heap of questions.....This is what will tell you if they will be acceptable guests or not!

Cheers.....Rob

What is your point @Robin0,  I would have let her stay for free!!

(Morning Robin 🙂