Jefferson Parish Short Term Rental Ban

Nicole575
Level 2
Metairie, LA

Jefferson Parish Short Term Rental Ban

Hi

I am a local Airbnb host in Metairie, La where yesterday the city council voted to ban all short-term rentals in most of the East & Westbank Parishes. I assume I feel like most other people when I say I was blind-sighted by this.

It is absolutely absurd for them to push that strict of a ban. With over 500 short term rental hosts, and only 2 showed up to the council meeting to dispute, I can only assume the rest were shocked and unaware this was happening like myself. 

I am wondering why Airbnb never reached out to let us know this was happening or if there is anything we can do at this point. I would like to see if there is some change we can bring on and push for more regulations and rules like Orleans Parish rather than the total ban that was passed.

Any insight is encouraged and appreciated!

78 Replies 78
Emily375
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

I am also an Airbnb host in Metairie.  I am also shocked & frustrated by this sudden & illogical ruling.  I, too, was unaware of this meeting, as there clearly was no advance notice that it was occuring.  Citing reasons for a ban, such as noise, traffic, & garbage is absurd.  I have a guesthouse behind my house that I use as the Airbnb, and if my guests caused these types of disturbances, I would most definitely not let them occupy the intimate space surrounding my home.  In over a year's time of being a very busy Airbnb host, I have never had a neighbor complain.  I have a book of recommendations in my Airbnb, which all supports the local businesses, some within walking distance of my house.  This will negatively impact revenue from tourists in our community.    I will be calling my councilperson as well as calling Airbnb today to see what can be done.  We, as an airbnb community, need to demand this be revisited by the council.  I will add any more information that I glean from my phone calls today to this forum.  

Nicole575
Level 2
Metairie, LA

I live in my home part-time and rent it out the remainder. I give my renters strict rules regarding parties and noise. In the 6 months I have been doing this, they have respected my house rules and I have had zero complaints from my neighbors.

The profits I have made from Airbnb have allowed me to invest back in to my property with rennovations. Thus, improving property value for Jefferson Parish. 90% of my guests have rented my home because they are visiting New Orleans. This diverts revenue to Jefferson Parish rather than Orleans Parish. I plan to go into detail with the appropriate council members as soon as I can. 

The most inportant part is to get the word out to the other hosts at this time and also to everyone's councilperson. Will continue to update to this thread as new information develops. Please invite any other hosts you know to join in. 

I will join anyone who wants to do a class action lawsuit so we can tie it up for now.

Any updates, we need to get the ball rolling!

Let me know if you have ideas.

What did Airbnb do in New Orleans when the city wanted to restrict short term rentals? Is Airbnb of any supports on this matter or are the host on their own????

I am still waiting for someone from Airbnb to respond to all of my questions. Will let you know! 

If you call the Air BNB helpline, they will connect you to the legal team via email.  (They might not be there over the weekend, however.) Hopefully will hear back early next week at least. 

Might be good for all of us to do that.  Squeaky wheels get the grease!

This is what they wrote.......so they will give us help.  However, they prioritize the legal requests based on urgency  - for example if some one is having an emergency with a guest.  So we may be lower on the list.

"Hello Kathy,

This is Krayshaun with Airbnb's Trip experience team, it was a pleasure speaking with you today regarding your legal questions.

I am glad that I was able to assist you with this matter. I have notified our legal team of your question(s). Please respond to this email if you have any additional questions for the team.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. Thank you for being apart of the Airbnb community! "

I got the same response. Let me know if you hear back. Also- this whole thread is public and pops up on a google search. Wondering if we should join in an email thread instead....

I'll join for legal action. I can reach out to my attorney (Orrill and Beary) unless someone has already consulted with another. 

It’s a good idea to discuss what our options are legally. Although it would

be nice to not have to go to that extreme. I am stilll waiting to hear back from Airbnb and my Councilperson that I put a call to on Friday. 

Keep me posted. I'm ready to file for class and the attorneys can file injunction against action. 

Even for those of us who qualify for license the fees would run me ~$200/month. Sales tax alone is an absurd 10% of the gross. 

Were you able to get any legal advice? 

Shu2
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

I live in Gretna was once summoned to a meeting I. The city hall  but never heard back from them again. 

The legislation does not include the parish’s six municipalities, such as Gretna and Kenner, which must craft their own laws governing the practice.

Trent16
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

I beleive the only thing we can do about this is file a legal challenge to the law. AirBnB should get with VRBO and any other short term rental management companies and hire an attorny firm to file a challenge to this law. To pay for this legal challenge all of us as host will have to agree to contribute a small percentage of our earnings from our short term rental(s).