LGBT Transgender, pronouns and inclusivity

Alicia55
Level 4
Dallas, TX

LGBT Transgender, pronouns and inclusivity

Hi,

I'm writing emails, this and whatever else I can to help resolve a very easily fixed issue.  First, some back story, becuase well who doesn't love a great story? ok, so...

I had a guest coming to stay. I love my guests! I love having the oppurtunity to host them. I am a member of the LGBT community and very welcoming and love for others to see a part of an area that others may not suspect to be the the most welcoming. When my guest books and indicates that the second party memeber will be meeting up for the stay, at my location, I have the impression it is two lesbians. So I'm Yay!, more fellow lesbian friends!  I'm sure they will be super relieved if there was any anxiety, about their stay. After a bit, I'm talking to them and could see they were infact a lovely couple. 

Here's where the face palm missing peice comes in. One of my guests is a trans guy, and I didn't know. As soon as I found out, I was like yay, than felt absolutely terrible. Had I mistakenly misgendered!? Why did I have to find out from a guest telling me?!  Immedietely he was more than welcome and he was not going to be in any way made to feel uncomfortable by me. I'm all too familiar with much personal transgender integration in my life and at the next opportunity, apologized to him. Everything was ok with my guest, but still I felt like I had had the biggest let down of hosting after many years. I still am so disappointed in this.

So Iam thinking, why the heck doesn't Airbnb have preferred pronouns on the guests account? It would be great to have them optional, so if someone prefers to explicitly indicate for themselves or additional guests to avoid any confusion, or missteps, allow them to enable them and select what is preferred.  I am adding this to my listing details as well, until airbnb gets this in place.

I hope no one else has oooopsed, like I did, and more so I hope no one ever else has to with a simple addition to clarify.

Happy Pride month everyone!

58 Replies 58
Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

I just keep thinking if someone wants to identify as what they perceive themselves-fine, **
Saying this, I will always treat people respectfully, but do not wish for people (or bnb guests) to make their personal life a part of mine, nor do I want others to **

** To avoid the whole language control in the first place, I do not address someone by their gender (and often wonder why any host would need to) but by themselves whether it be by the individual's name or directed phrases such as "you", "yourself", etc

**[Content removed in line with the Airbnb Nondiscrimination Policy]

@Russell49You've come back to this thread multiple times over 3 years to tell us you don't believe in respecting other people's gender identities. For someone who doesn't want to get involved in other people's personal lives, you seem pretty darn invested in how others choose to identify. 

Hi @Russell49 

You have good point of view, it make a lot of sense.

Airbnb community discussion is where members may post their feedback are essential in the development of an online community.

However, it seems some other member take this opportunity to cyberbullying when disagree other member point of view. This behavior of personal attack on this forum are unacceptable.

If you find content that violates the forum guidelines is termed as inappropriate content. eg. personal threats, flaming, bullying, abusive language and others.

How to report inappropriate content message.

Click on Options on the bottom right of a comment/post and select the last option from the menu: "Report Inappropriate Content"

Happy Hosting 😊

@Dale711 Both you and "Quentin" have had posts removed this week for inappropriate content and abuse of on other forum members: maybe it's not such a good time to try and take the moral high ground. 

Dear Madame @Alexandra316 

1) ‘ STOP ‘ tagged me in the forum. I have warned you many times!

Pleasssssssssse🙏 

2) ‘ Never and ever’  mentioned me in your post, I was not interested in communicating with you.

3) **

Lastly, I remind you to respect the original thread.If you still have any issues with me, you can PM me.

I wish you all the very best! 

**[Personal remarks hidden - Community Center Guidelines]

You never have, actually, but that's good for me. I also have no interest in interacting with you, either here or in a PM: **. You replied to my comment, and I responded. 

**[Personal remarks hidden - Community Center Guidelines]

57330EEE-419F-4BB1-B7BA-4EED58EBFE19.jpeg

Sarah1600
Level 2
Nashville, TN

As a host, I really only need to know pronouns when it comes time to write a review. It’s easy to navigate the rest of the interactions with guests using the person’s name or “you.” But the review is where I’m talking about them in the third person.

@Sarah1600 Why not call them by their name? Or use "they." Using a pronoun that the guest feels uncomfortable with is a great way for a guest to get a review removed by Airbnb. I can totally see Airbnb being on board with that.

@Emilia42  I don't know if I've ever had the need to use a pronoun in a guest review. I'll have to go back and check sometime. 

It's more like "XX was a great guest. Excellent communication, respectful, and clean. Welcome back anytime."

I don't know why there would be occasion to refer to them with a 3rd person pronoun. And if for some reason the wording required it, you could just say "this guest" instead of he or she or they.

@Sarah977 I don’t know why anyone would care about an optional, private field on Airbnb profiles for people to fill in their pronoun preferences.

@Sarah977 I've just been a lot more careful about not saying stuff like "Taylor was a great guest. She was left the space clean and tidy" etc. unless I'm sure of how a guest identifies. 

@Emilia42 Because “they” is plural, and I’m usually referring to an individual, and I’m a grammar nerd, LOL.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your contributions to this thread.

Since it has recently received discriminatory comments and personal remarks, I've decided to close it.

However I believe there are some good tips and insights that were shared here, so it will still be available for future reads.

If you have any questions, please have a look at the Community Center Guidelines and the Nondiscrimination Policy.

Thanks,

Liv