Last minute booking request from guest with NO verifications

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Last minute booking request from guest with NO verifications

So I just got a last-minute booking request from a guest. They had absolutely no information on their profile, and zero verifications. ZERO! Not a cell phone number or email address, even. I asked why they wanted to stay, and they said that they're locals and their landlord needs to fix their bathroom. Yeah, no, sorry. What I can't get over is that Airbnb would even let them send a request with absolutely no verification of their profile. I really feel like Airbnb is starting to take the piss when it comes to guests.... we aren't able to do even the most cursory of checks on them because they now block all info before the booking is completed, and apparently they're not doing any checks either. It takes the giddy buscuit.

How much does Airbnb value our safety when they are allowing guests who have not provided any personal information whatsoever to book with the platform?

125 Replies 125

Dear Alexandra: Here's my underlying "personna" "nobody **bleep**s around with me. Nobody. I will tell them exactly what I expect and when I expect it. I will fudge, hem and haw, but when it comes down to brass tacks, NOBODY **bleep**s around with me."

if you don't have that basic attitude, then probably my advice is all off... but I've been running rentals since I was 14 years old. I'm a former criminal litigation paralegal, etc... I'm tougher than **bleep**, and nobody **bleep**s me over. Not even Airbnb. I know how to make things work for myself.

If you don't, you've got some learning to do.

I can still be incredibly polite, diplomatic, etc.... but I am running a business "with" Airbnb, not for them.

Get that straight, and you'll be in a better frame of mind???? 

If you think Airbnb is running a business "for" you, you've got a lot lot more to learn, perhaps?

E

Dear Elizabeth. I would note that even one set up parameters to have their guest to proof of identity, still those unverified guests are snicking through. I had unpleasant experience quite recently. A person was booking a room for her boyfriend. First it looked very benign. When booking was completed, I received the confirmation with the phone number to contact new guest. Calling that number and getting an angry person on other side. That person after admitted that knows my guest, hovewer, does not know how her phone got to his booking. 

Later, meeting the guest and his girlfriend, the guest was looking with curiocity on the number. Of course, he didn't recognise it. My questions why he did book by using his girlfriend, he said his previous landlord took his all documents and phone for not paying rent. Then, I had to deal with his girlfriend, as one who was responsible. I took picture of her driving lisence and her phone number.

Later, I learned that this guest used my address to receive his social assistance letters. Then he left without informing me, earlier than his booked period ended. I called his girlfriend, asking for the keys. Getting my keys, and checking the room. First approach it is clean. The second moment while cleaning it, I found a sigarette bud on the floor next to the bed and sigarette ashes in the night stand drawer.

Also, this guest had his girlfiend staying with him during the day at least. I couldn't watch them all the time of course. Just caught her car staying across my house and her shoes at the entrance. 

Leigh23
Level 2
North Dakota, United States

As shared before, I take my most important house rules and cut and paste them into a reply on a reservation request before I accept or decline a reservation, just in case I think they have skimmed the house listing (which most, if not all, first timers do). Once I have called out my most violated rules during the request, I wait to accept their reservation based on the response I get back. That way I always always always have protection with AirBNB if they cause problems after arrival.

I place this language under the GUEST ACCESS section:

Only BNB-approved guests may visit or stay in the home. Please read the rules before sending any request.

And I include this language in the window right before they can click to request a reservation:

Do not send a reservation request until you read and understand the entire listing and all house guidelines/rules. There is no one allowed in the home who is not listed on the reservation (for any duration of time). This is not negotiable.

Leigh23
Level 2
North Dakota, United States

Additionally along the lines of asking questions during the reservation process… Try logging out of all of your accounts as a host and look at your listing as if you are a guest getting ready to book. Take a moment to see what they see (while you’re logged out) or check out your listing in preview mode. By doing this myself I was able to see how they (potential guests/web surfers) are able to read the listing both on the Internet and on a mobile device. Because I could see the “flow” of information I knew which sections to beef up with preliminary requests of mine. For instance, many first timers don’t dive down deep into the minutia of the listing they only read the first couple of sections. Knowing this, I was able to interject some of my absolute requirements up front. Same thing with the rules… They aren’t easy to find if someone is in a hurry to make a reservation and let’s face it, some people just don’t care; they figure they will scan the information later. By logging out as yourself and viewing the ad like a stranger would you can see where there are other opportunities to call things out before you lose their attention.

Additionally I take my most important house rules and cut and paste them into a reply on a reservation request before I accept or decline a reservation, just in case I think they have skimmed the house listing (which most, if not all, first timers do). Once I have called out my most violated rules during the request, I wait to accept their reservation based on the response I get back. That way I always always always have protection with AirBNB if they cause problems after arrival.

Also on people with fake pics! Please use the “Report Profile” option to crack down on this! 

Thanks for the info,  I have hosted for 5 yrs and "back in the old days" everyone seemed to have a photo and a few line about themselves and verifications.  It seemed much more personel.  This year Ihave had lots of requests with just one name.  We live in our house, its a shared property and I do feel more vulnerable, so thanks for flagging up about setting parameters.

Dear Alexandra316: Probably a "beta system" problem. Give it a whirl again in a few days, or report a bug.

Yours, Elizabeth (7-yr host)

@Elizabeth164 Give what a whirl in a few days?

Hi, My experience is that sometimes Airbnb's new beta system has bugs that tend to work themselves out in a few days, after a number of folks have reported back.  That's what I meant: Step back, wait for others to report bugs, and then try things again. 

I'm not a superhost, most probably because the rooms I offer have a shared bathroom, but also because in the first few years I was an over-anxious host and as a result had too many less than 5 star reviews.  With the 3 rooms I offer, all sharing one guest bathroom, well... that's not hotel like offerings. After reading all the feedback from guests, and also stepping back from Airbnb's push to have guests interact with hosts (there was this massive ad compaign message by Airbnb that I tried to meet, but which just didn't work), things have been working for me a lot better. 

Hope you're well, and getting at least some of the answers you were seeking.

Yours, Elizabeth

We do not like to decline guests first thing, but we have had a couple not verified. We did reply and told them if they get on Airbnb and become  verified, the guest room and bath we have will be theirs to stay in. If they don't do that, we have to decline. So far, we have had very nice guests comply with the verification procedure. 

Hi, 

I have just started to host and I faced the similar situation - an inquiry (almost last minute, but also long-term) - from a guest that has not provided to airbnb any information, even place of residence. How can I decline it with the least damage to me as a host? Is it going to have any negative impact to me as a host if I just keep a conversation without making pre-approval/decline within 24 hours? Thanks.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Alexandra316 

Yes the guest can make a request, but as an experienced Superhost i am sure you know can't book with you,  until they meet your requirements such as only accepting guests who provide photo Id and provide a photo on their profile (and whatever other conditions you request in your house rules).

@Helen3 yes, it was a no-brainer, clearly. I just don't know how they can even ask us to host someone they have literally zero info on. 

@Helen3  That isn't really true.  A guest can book who has no photo on their profile and if the booking is accepted and they don't upload their profile, good luck getting that booking cancelled without a penality and a hit to your standing in the algo.  We had a guest who never uploaded a photo, even after we asked her to do so twice, and as night follows day, she was a terrible guest, terrible communicator, caused $300 worth of damage and gave us a low rating and negative review.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry @Mark116  I don't believe you are correct. It certainly is true.

Airbnb changed the system last Autumn so that you can specify you only accept guests with photos on their profiles. 

If you had ticked the box to say you only accepted guests with photos I am not sure how the guest was able to book without uploading one?

I am shocked that Airbnb wouldn't cancel the booking for you when it clearly states that they will do so in the circumstances you described.

Airbnb state:-

To require guests to have a profile photo before they can book:

1. Go to the listing that you’d like to require profile photos for
  2. Click Booking settings
  3. Click Edit next to the Guest requirements heading
  4. Check the box next to Profile photo
  5. Click Save

Regardless of whether you have this setting turned on, guest profile photos won’t be displayed until after a booking is confirmed.

If a guest's profile photo doesn't contain the guest's face and, for example, contains only a cartoon, an avatar, or a picture of something other than a person, you cancel penalty free by contacting Airbnb.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2377/how-can-i-require-guests-to-have-a-profile-photo.

Even before this new policy came in, I had it as part of my IB requirements that only guests with clear photos of themselves could book and on three ocassions Airbnb contacted guests who didn't provide them and advised them if they didn't upload them their booking would be cancelled.

In your situation you would have had grounds for contacting Airbnb and asking them to cancel because the guest made you feel uncomfortable.