Many, many guest demands...

Denise405
Level 3
California, United States

Many, many guest demands...

When booking, our current guests made no mention of religious requirements for their stay.  Upon their late arrival around 9pm, they called angry that the refrigerator had non-kosher condiments inside and demanded we completely empty the refrigerator and sanitize it immediately.  We immediately came over and stayed until 11pm cleaning and making the kitchen kosher.  With notice, we could've prepared for this but the guests mentioned nothing prior to their arrival.  Our home has a pool and is on a busy street.  For safety, all doors have an opening audible charm.  They have a 5-year old in their party.  The guests insisted that these charms had to be disengaged at 6:45 p.m. tonight but want them immediately turned back on tomorrow at 9pm for a religious observance.  We have ATT digital life so we worked with ATT to disengage the charms.  At the last second tonight, the guests said the fact that the system will log the door opening is a religious prohibition so we have to figure out how to disengage the system entirely.  We called ATT and after the past 2 hours of transfers and instructions, we think we can disengage the entire system. We called to do so, but the guests were not home and they did not want us in the house when they are not there. They said they would be home at 5 but now say they will be late and we must wait outside.  Sabbath starts at 645pm so I'm sitting outside waiting for them to return, hopefully to successfully disengage the system and control panel in the window they are providing.  ATT cannot re-engage the system after hours (9pm tomorrow when sabbath ends) and they are upset about that.  They have had a myriad of complaints we have tried to remedy (house AC "not strong enough" bc whole house only at 74 when set at 71 and it's 110 outside, more lights outside around pool when there are over 40 garden lights, house lights on 8 doors, string lights over patio seating, dining light and fan by outdoor dining pavillion, pool lights, tiki bar lights), cable signal "not strong enough" bc they can't figure out the remote, wifi "not strong enough" for unspecified reason). We have met all requests with grace and immediate action but...has anyone else had guests like this and how did you handle this? 

64 Replies 64
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Denise405 Like someone mentioned - make sure everything written between you and guests is on ABB app?

Sure hope so for proof!! If not, copy/ paste it quickly and resend it to the guests as " verification of our conversations and work to resolve your requests and religious requirement and demands"

You do not have to be doing any stuff like mentioned if you don't normally have it and do it. You sound like being held hostage/slave to these guests for their beliefs - that is crazy since you had NO forewarning - also, it is important for us to learn about so I am glad to know this might possible happen and ways to immediately deal with it.

Just because someone is our guests DOESN"T mean we have to do and give them any request they might suggest/want/demand. NO WAY. best to you Denise

@Denise405

Completely agree with @Ute42

You should have told them they are welcome to cancel and find somewhere else to stay since your kitchen and fridge to not meet their religious needs. You could have just smiled with an apology "Sorry~ my kitchen is not kosher, never has and never will be. I never claimed it was either." then kicked them out. Honestly think it's not too late - the best thing you can do for yourself is to get them out!!

Henry and I don't have any allergies, we like nuts & chocolate and eat plenty of meat - if someone allergic to chocolate or a vegan  wanted to stay with us that's their choice if they want to put up with us but we are not willing change our eating habits for them - if the guest complained then I'd tell them to leave. It's my house, plain and simple. I like peanut butter on my toast and Henry's favorite snack is trail mix. It's up to the guest to be careful or find somewhere else that is more suited to their needs to stay. 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Denise405 Did they bring all their own pots, pans and dishes with them? If not, surely the kitchen isn't kosher for their use  anyways?  

I agree that at soon as the first demand was made, the line should have been drawn. They must have stayed places before and be aware that this type of thing should be discussed before arrival, not after. For me, I think the alarm system thing would be a complete deal breaker. I understand you wanting to accommodate your guests, but they are clearly being completely unreasonable. I would be contacting Airbnb for their help finding new accommodations for these people. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Denise405

This podcast may be a bit long, but worth it because it also outlines the best way to react to guests with demands or complaints about things not included in your listing:

https://www.thehostingjourney.com/how-to-process-a-claim/ 

Unrelated to the original post but Andrea, is that a podcast dedicated to topics for Airbnb hosts?

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I know that at the refrigerator point, I would have said - "This is not going to work, this stay is over, so how do you want to handle this?".  I would have really minded for these arrogant unlikeable abusers to stay at my place; talking about contamination.

Denise405
Level 3
California, United States

Thank you everyone for the support, it's really helpful as I'm a new host.  Unfortunately, they call with these requests and I didn't have the foresight to insist on all communication through the app early on.  I did call Airbnb at each juncture and made a record of all this, asking for advice, for which they had little to offer.  Do you all have advice or guidelines on how to articulate this in a review that will not get deleted? No host should ever have to go through this again.

@Denise405   Some hosts  write a draft review, on the forum here, and ask hosts advise them on it. It's a fine art these days. Airbnb has been known to delete host reviews arbitrarily.  If you don't want your draft public (all comments on this forum are public) – use Host Circle https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Circle/bd-p/host-circle

@Denise405

In the future, if you get a call or IM or any type of communication outside of the ABB messenger make sure to send an immediate follow-up message on the ABB site reiterating what was discussed so that you have proof.

A simple "As we discussed on the phone~~~~" covering the key points is fine. 

Personally, while I try to keep most communication thru the ABB app, I get long-term guests and to be honest the ABB messenger isn't the best when trying to help a guest in real-time so we use other IMs as well but I always copy+paste messages important to the stay itself so we have evidence. The ABB app messenger is cr*ppy, and there is a significant time delay for incoming messages. When I send a message using my laptop it takes about 5~10 mins before I can see my own message show up on the app and vice versa. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Do not answer their calls anymore. Let it go to voicemail, listen to it and then right through the app your response. This will  protect you from being put on the spot and allow you to compose your thoughts and decide  what you want to do.  Your answer will also be documented. At least you have till sundown tonight free of the phone calls. 

As foe review, do not mention religion or it will be removed. I would say something  like. Guests demanded amenities and services not included in my listing. 

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Denise405, reading this made me very angry. These people sound like they’re completely nuts to me and obviously selfish creeps. I’d call Air and demand they be relocated this instant without penalty to you.

I’d also stop accepting their calls and stop giving in to their demands. Tell them that none of their requests are mentioned in the listing and it’s their responsibility to ask such questions at booking. 

These people might be religious with their rituals but they’re obviously very unethical people to treat others this way. 

@John1080 Sounds more like they're setting this poor host up for a lawsuit based on religious persecution, if she objects to anything. They may be more committed to a con than a religion. 

@Donna240, from the sound of it, yes, I wouldn't be surprised. 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Denise405  Like @Ute said they would have been gone at the empty the refrigerator call. You do not have to put up with this. Call AirBnB and have them relocated now. Don't deal with them another minute. You are going to get hammered on the review anyway at least get the satisfaction of making them inconvienced for once instead of you. 

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

For Superhosts (they will verify you):

North America: +1-647-945-9627 +1.888.326.5753

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I think the best solution is to call Airbnb and ask for help. Or ask the guest to cancel their stay and return the money to them to get rid of them.

See this other topic about abusive guests. You may find more useful advices there.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/How-to-Deal-with-Demanding-Long-staying-guest/m-p/779153...