Many, many guest demands...

Denise405
Level 3
California, United States

Many, many guest demands...

When booking, our current guests made no mention of religious requirements for their stay.  Upon their late arrival around 9pm, they called angry that the refrigerator had non-kosher condiments inside and demanded we completely empty the refrigerator and sanitize it immediately.  We immediately came over and stayed until 11pm cleaning and making the kitchen kosher.  With notice, we could've prepared for this but the guests mentioned nothing prior to their arrival.  Our home has a pool and is on a busy street.  For safety, all doors have an opening audible charm.  They have a 5-year old in their party.  The guests insisted that these charms had to be disengaged at 6:45 p.m. tonight but want them immediately turned back on tomorrow at 9pm for a religious observance.  We have ATT digital life so we worked with ATT to disengage the charms.  At the last second tonight, the guests said the fact that the system will log the door opening is a religious prohibition so we have to figure out how to disengage the system entirely.  We called ATT and after the past 2 hours of transfers and instructions, we think we can disengage the entire system. We called to do so, but the guests were not home and they did not want us in the house when they are not there. They said they would be home at 5 but now say they will be late and we must wait outside.  Sabbath starts at 645pm so I'm sitting outside waiting for them to return, hopefully to successfully disengage the system and control panel in the window they are providing.  ATT cannot re-engage the system after hours (9pm tomorrow when sabbath ends) and they are upset about that.  They have had a myriad of complaints we have tried to remedy (house AC "not strong enough" bc whole house only at 74 when set at 71 and it's 110 outside, more lights outside around pool when there are over 40 garden lights, house lights on 8 doors, string lights over patio seating, dining light and fan by outdoor dining pavillion, pool lights, tiki bar lights), cable signal "not strong enough" bc they can't figure out the remote, wifi "not strong enough" for unspecified reason). We have met all requests with grace and immediate action but...has anyone else had guests like this and how did you handle this? 

64 Replies 64
City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

At the first hint of 'angry' because of a condition that is normal and expected in your home and community . . . "um, no.  I'm sorry but we can't do that."

Most people with religious requirements or lifestyle requirements are happy to discuss their needs before they book.  Otherwise  (as my friend's aunt used to say) "they are just stupid."

I like the words "Oh dear"  as it "Oh dear, I'm so sorry that our refrigerator is not kosher.  I don't see how we could possibly change that for you.  I'll call Airbnb right now and find out what they suggest."

The guests decided to demand

Unreasonable things.

They asked for glitter and a tiny glowing

Unicorn (with wings!)

We so regretfully declined.

They were irate and then

They escalated to the top

With hostile Twittering.

A barrage of complaints

Was followed by one stars,

A full refund and nasty words

Our reputation marred.

Good hosts, be super and aloof.

Remember, they are guests.

Some guests don't comprehend the rules,

Are rude and leave a mess.

There is a way to handle this.

You practice saying no.

No, can't. No, won't.

No, just don't have a unicorn that glows.

Can't get one (and we wouldn't if we could.)

They are not housetrained, break the lamps,

Puncture holes into the wall.

We do not offer Unicorns.

No. Sorry. That is all.

@City-Limits-Ranch0, the question is, if I were to book in your home, would you make adjustments to your place to accommodate my belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster? 

I am practicing saying 'no' for when you visit:)

But if you come in October you may have to help us worship the Great Pumpkin. 

We start celebrating a week before Halloween with potlucks and various activities, culminating in a large gathering of worshippers dressed as pumpkins on Halloween itself. 

Any guest in residence that night has to agree to dress as a pumpkin and sprawl silently and motionless around on the ground entwined with the other worshippers for several hours leading up to the arrival of the GP itself.  If you don't want to do that you have to leave the property before the festivities begin and you may not return until after 1 am.  It's in the House Rules.

@City-Limits-Ranch0, oh no, that is against my religion. I don't think I'll be booking with you! 🙂

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

we have had Orthodox Jewish couple once... they brought their own small kitchen stove/oven and placed it on the kitchen sink, they were very strict and authoritative , especially husband i felt like in a scool in front of my proffessor. Our apartment smelled on their food days after they left and that smell was very unplesant and strange to us  😞 

Since then we have new house rule: -  It is forbidden to use your own electric appliances like ovens, heaters itd...

@Denise405  May we have an update? If this were a book I'd be jumping to the last page. If I had seen this earlier, I would have cautioned you to keep your alarms on, because you as the property owner assume the liability if anything bad happens.

Denise405
Level 3

Things were quiet for the observance and then expected the system to be reconnected and charms back on at 915 Sat.  Since they insisted the entire panel be removed and then, the whole system disengaged, I could not get someone over there on Sat night at 915 pm, or Sunday to reconnect and reinstall everything though I did try.  ATT digital life does not have customer service to turn on the door charms on the weekend. They leave tomorrow morning... I have done everything humanly possible to meet their needs but my biggest objection is no advance warning, unreasonable expectations, no gratitude-attitude and the way we have been treated.  Their beliefs have nothing to do with it and we respect all guests from different backgrounds, countries, traditions and faiths.  Any belief, however, does not excuse any behavior.  If I said to a host: "my religion requires me to punch you in the nose" and then I did, I'm still going to jail.  After reading this advice, I would've done a lot differently and have learned my lesson:  no good deed goes unpunished.  

“Their beliefs have nothing to do with it and we respect all guests from different backgrounds, countries, traditions and faiths.”

Unfortunately, their beliefs and faith has everything to do with it, as they obviously believe their beliefs are more important than your own. So sorry you had the misfortune to come across these two unethical people. 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Wow! These are issues that should have been brought up before booking. But just so they don't turn around and sue you for religious descrimination, provide THEM with sanitation supplies so that THEY can clean the koodies off the refrigerator.  If that's too much to ask then I'd offer them the opportunity to cancel the remainder of their stay at no extra cost. I would HOPE that they'd take up my offer! Airbnb is not for these people. They belong in hotels.

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I doubt these people are making up their religious needs - perhaps Airbnb needs a provide kosher option for listings.

However, it's hard to imagine just turning up and expecting it all to just happen. I doubt any kitchen used by visitors could be kosher - they would have to bring all their own utensils etc?

I would be wary of cancelling around their religious needs - that may fall into discrimination.

Go talk to the guests and explain the property is rented as described in the listing - if it's not working out for them they should cancel via Airbnb.  

Such conversations are not easy, but just giving in to demands is not the answer either. Most guests don't want to leave, and will temper their behavior..

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Denise405 Well Denise we are all waiting to hear the outcome of your demanding ones that you danced for day and night - not really dance - but cleaned, adj, all that and more

What happened?

happy hosting, Clara 

Denise405
Level 3

They leave tomorrow and we have done everything to meet their requests, regardless of the reasons for them.  I am hoping for the best and all of your support has helped a lot and provided great advice for future stays and updating my listing!  I am new to this so getting others hosts' perspective has been been invaluable.   

You should never have to go out of your way the way you have done for any guests. From what you've shared, you took "above and beyond" to a whole new level.

There will always be that small percentage who is unreasonably demanding. If you don't give in to their demands, they can choose to leave.

I personally encourage guests to leave if necessary, even offer them a full refund after checking in if their expectations weren't met. No amount of money is worth being someone's hostage as they are supposed to guests in your home.

It's not worth it to reduce yourself in the fear of a bad review, when the odds are that you're inevitably going to eventually get one anyway. 

Wish you luck on this one! 

This. Nasty people like this will leave you a bad review regardless. Tell them where to stick it and ignore their ridiculous demands. Their behavior is absolutely not in line with Jewish beliefs.