Mass Shooting in Airbnb house in Orinda last night, 4 dead

Lan1
Level 10
El Cerrito, CA

Mass Shooting in Airbnb house in Orinda last night, 4 dead

Breaking news:  4 dead, many injured in  an Airbnb party house in Orinda CA last night ( 10/31). The house is just few steps away from my second residence in the same street. About 10:00pm, My daughter and I were driving back to our residence, noticed that the street were full of cars. After a while, we heard police helicopters and ambulances arriving ....Neighboor next door told us there was a mass shooting in the Airbnb house few steps away.

The head of Airbnb trust and safety announced that  they will conduct serious investigation, according to the news.

My dear fellow host, I have been posting  many times regarding my concerns to Airbnb unsafe booking process.  My own house has been targeted several times for huge parties/criminal activities, but it couldn’t get enough attention from Airbnb trust and safety 

department.

Please protect yourself and be safe!

周蘭
837 Replies 837
Laura_C
Ex Airbnb
Ex Airbnb
Redwood City, CA

All, apologies that I've been a bit quiet the past couple of days - we're heads down working hard on the more host-centric announcements coming out of the 10-day safety sprint. I'll share updates here as soon as they're ready. 

--------------------

Lead, Airbnb Core Hosts & Community

Here's my Community Spotlight!

What are your favorite notes from your guests?

That's not good enough, @Laura_C. You could get your guest-centric policies out a full week ago for Brian to share with the money men and the media at the New York Times Dealbook Conference. Now you're finally coming back here and telling us precisely NOTHING, other than you'll share updates when they're ready???

The contempt, disregard and disrespect Airbnb treats its "core host community" with, will be the rock this company perishes on. 

@Laura_C I do hope one of those 'after-sprint' announcements is that Brian Chesky, on behalf of his 'team' at Airbnb Corporate, will be publicly apologizing to the entire host community for deliberately and strategically scapegoating us after the Orinda shootings / murders (and the release of the Vice article, which somehow was morphed into the Orinda event in a most bizarre and surreal way).

We deserve nothing less. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura_C  You asked us to be patient and wait out the 10 days.  Now what- 20 days? New Year's? A year from now? Never?

Brian Chesky's statements made all hosts look untrustworthy and to blame. You are the host rep and so far, nothing has been done to counteract that.

You're working hard? So are we, and our job has been made more difficult at every turn.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Laura_C 

...and you've been "a bit quiet over the past couple of days"???

The truth is, since you took over the position of "Global Head of Core Hosts and Community", or whatever your title is these days - amid exuberant claims/promises of how you and your team of 100 were going to do everything in your power to "help core hosts succeed" - we've barely heard a peep from you.

The harsh reality is, not only have you not helped us "succeed", but things have gone to hell in a handbasket for us in the 18 months or so that you've been in the position. We can only wonder what it is you and your team of 100 actually do all day - because it certainly isn't "helping core hosts succeed" in any way, shape or form. 

We get that you were handed a poisoned chalice when you took on this role, but you must have been aware of that going into the undoubtedly highly-paid job. And if you weren't up to the challenge, then you shouldn't have taken it on, because ultimately, it's the "core host community" who pay the price for your ongoing failure to competently represent us, and to properly advocate for our needs, and our rights.

Step up, or step down, Laura. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Susan17@Sarah977@Rebecca181

Just reading your comments here and understandably you want to know what updates are coming for hosts. As @Laura_C  says it won't be long before you receive an update on everything that is in the works and please be rest assured you will be bombarded with information! 🙂 

I just want us to take a step back from this a little, I know this is a difficult time for you and other, but I do feel some of the comments here are getting quite personal.

Laura and her team are working extremely hard to make sure that the voices of hosts are loud and clear within the company and that this transforms into meaningful changes (changes that do take time to think out, even when many are being fast tracked). As you know, she has also been very active here in the CC during this time, providing you with updates and wanting to keep you in touch with what is happening, even when she is working on changes you all want to see. So, let’s keep this in mind and be fair with our comments here.

I can honestly tell you that there are a lot of moving parts to this and the team is very busy working to get you an update that is respectful of all the feedback you have provided. This ranges from collating feedback/interviewing hosts, to the thinking–how can the different things work, operations, technology and even when there is an update, making sure that it's translated across many many many languages!! (These are just some of the things that come to my mind and I sure this is just some of the things!)

As I say we want more than anything to get these updates to you and they will be with you very shortly, but personally I would much prefer a thoughtful and well outlined update, than one which has been rushed a few extra days. I personally think we can provide this extra time.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

I think that the manner in which the rollout of these initiatives is being handled is speaks precisely to the problem that Airbnb has when communicating with its hosts. To quote the newest Airbnb update, "You’ve told us that we need to do a better job of keeping you in the loop about the changes we’re making to features, tools, and policies that impact your hosting experience. We agree!"

An update on what initiatives are being looked at, even without specifics of how they will be incorporated into the platform, or with a simple "what do you, as the hosts think of these ideas?" would not go amiss. I would suggest that it would be exactly what is needed here, in order to avoid the increasing anger/frustration/disgust that many of us are feeling presently.

Making promises, failing to provide a deadline for deliverables, and failing to even let us know what is being discussed as potential fixes to the numerous safety issues inherent within the platform smacks of a level of cynicism and disdain toward hosts that becomes increasingly less tolerable as the days move on.

The suggestion you've made, @Lizzie that we should basically "settle down" is perhaps not your finest work regarding your remit. What should be happening is that hosts should be collaborating on these changes and should be publicly and fully informed at every step.

This is a failure, yet again, on the part of the company to recognize hosts, their contributions and their voices in any meaningful manner. The level of anger and frustration expressed in this post, and many, many others speak to that.

@Lizzie  I think there would be much less uproar and far more patience if even one thing that hosts have been asking for, to have improved, to have changed, had ever taken place since the beginning of Laura's watch. Unless my memory fails me, nothing, absolutely nothing we have been been begging for, taking the time to write out reasoned posts on, send feedback on, nothing whatsoever has been taken on board and instituted. From the unbelievably flawed, hypocritical and punitive review system, to the outrage over hiding our house rules where it is pretty much assured most guests won't see them, to having our vetting process made less and less viable and safe, to bad guests being fully refunded after causing damages, and Airbnb overriding hosts' cacellation policies- the list goes on and on.

All hosts' suggestions have been thoroughly ignored. Not just now, but historically. That has consequences. So pardon us if we appear just a tad cynical and angry. These latest events, the "sprint", the lack of updates on it, the now postponment of a result, are but the straw breaking the camel's back.

@Sarah977  thank you, what you say is 100% true.

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Lizzie 

A lot of hosts are feeling incredibly frustrated. @Susan17@Sarah977@Rebecca181,  are representing  the thoughts & mood amongst many of us.

This is surely  is OUR space to voice those thoughts. Within the confines of Airbnb. A safe space to communicate. Of course respectfully. But I have seen nothing other than pure frustration.  

Five people died. And this is not an isolated incident. Behind anger is usually hurt. A lot of hosts feel they are increasingly being thrown under the bus. We need to voice the resentment we are feeling. 

Last week  I was contacted by the Daily Mail & I know other hosts have been contacted by the media. They want to hear our views. To hear our  reaction to the recent tragic events. We need to communicate the pressures  we are facing Lizzie. 

We are JUST individuals  working incredibly  hard to create great environments for our guests. We do not have advisors or PR departments to turn to when  the press  call us.

Please remember Laura has made many pledges to hosts. The main one  - to deal with reviews left in retaliation .  Laura was also going to look at the whole review system with the perspective of hosts? And we have heard nothing? So I do feel this has been building for several months now. 

Curious: Why were only the three most vocal female hosts here tagged in @Lizzie's most recent post? Why not the men as well? 

@Denis227 @Sarah977 @Susan17 @Mark116 @David6 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

So, the deadline for the 10 day sprint is next week, is that right?  I'd say now, as I said then, that giving themselves only 10 days was a poor strategic choice, it isn't enough time to review the data, to game plan for the various outcomes of any set of fundamental changes.  30 days would have been more realistic and would have likely ended up with a better long term outcome, assuming the company cares about eliminating unauthorized parties and the risks that go with them.  

Oh, and my airbnb host interview never occurred.  I got an email with several dates and times, and was told that if any of these dates/times worked, that a formal calendar invite would be sent.  I dutifully picked a data/time and never heard back from airbnb, not with a calendar invite or an email confirmation.  Two hours before the time I had chosen, I sent them a message to say that I assumed no call was happening as I had never received an invite or confirmation.  No response to that either.  

@Mark116 The 10 day sprint was announced on Nov 2nd. Doesn't that make the deadline yesterday?

They didn't do the interview with you? I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I wonder how many other folks didn't get their feedback heard. I'd say that kind of deserves it's own thread, Mark.

@Jennifer1421   LOL, yeah, I was giving them the benefit of the doubt on 10 'working/week' days v. calendar days.  I doubt they hit either deadline.  

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oh my goodness @Mark116, I thought you had this all scheduled in. Leave this with me and I'll find out more. Sorry about this. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.