Money paid to wrong account

Victoria34
Level 1
Byron Bay, Australia

Money paid to wrong account

I changed my bank account and air bnb paid the money to an old account that is now closed. Now I do not know how to get this money paid into the correct account or where it has gone? This is urgent

25 Replies 25
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/Air-BNB-paid-money-into-ahold-account-how-can-I-spea...

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Thank you, I checked with my bank in Australia and they said if the money went to a closed account they would not hold it. Automatically the funds would go back into the guests account within 2-3 days. Does anyone know if I should cancel the booking or get the guest to re-send money? If I cancel it, there's a $50 fee? 

Don't cancel @Victoria34.  There are worse penalties than $50 and you cannot get the guest ot resend the money.  The guest would not have been given this money.  Airbnb would have it as it was already charged to the guest's credit card.  Have you clicked on the link to see how you can contact Airbnb?

Here are the penalties you will face if you cancel: https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/990/how-do-host-cancellation-penalties-work

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

I have this same issue in Sydney Australia. I received confirmation that a payout had been made to a closed account. I've removed that account from my payout preferences and added my new and currently open account. However, I am not clear as to whether the original payment will bounce and automatically be resent to my new account or whether I will need to raise a request for AirBnB to send the bounced funds to my new account. Any clarity around how this should be resolved would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PS. In my transaction history it says that the payment has been paid out to my closed account so I'm not sure if the money has actually bounced. Is there anyway to clarify this as well?

Hi,

Have any of you guys had a resolution to this? We are currently having the same problem with money being paid out into a closed bank account. Speaking to the bank, the funds should not be there and should have been bounced back (we are awaiting written confirmation of this). If you have had this resolved, can you please tell us how long it took and what further actions you had to take to get this resolved.

Thanks

Britta, I have the same problem. Did you eventually get the money?

I feel powerless. Airbnb says they can't do anything. My bank says they can't do anything. 

Judy

I have had communication around my issue but no resolution. To be honest, I think AirBnB is just pushing this to the side. I've spoken to the banks and funds can not be accepted into a closed account so there is no way. But AirBnB insists that my bank has the funds and requires me to get written confirmation of these funds being returned to their payment partner. I am looking into how to formally raise a complaint about this to the Ombudsmen.

I have the same issue. I sent Airbnb about 5 requests, and all came back with the same answers, without a care. The team working on this, must be overworked. The bank bounced back the money, but Airbnb simply will resend me answers that the payout has been made, copy and paste the transaction numbers, which they don't care. The customer service need to contact their finance department, or payment processing department (customer service department cannot see details of the accounting entries). but obviously they don't

Yes, this has been my eexact experience. It is pathetic and AirBnB really needs to get its act together. Do you know how we can raise this issue to the regulator?

Hi Victoria, did you manage to resolve your issue? I have been in contact with AirBnB for ~4 months (though relatively infrequently because AirBnB's customer service staff respond on a very infrequent basis). However, they have not been helpful and have simply deferred the responsibility for me to trace funds that they have transferred. I am wondering if you've had a resolution and what my approach should be to ensure this gets resolved if so. 

Roina0
Level 2
Gooseberry Hill, Australia

I have had the same thing happen to me. It's been over a month now and 4 phone calls to airbnb with no resolution and still no money. In my case it was over $1000. I've updated the account details and Airbnb know this as they have deposited 1c but where is my money? Please help!

Contacted Airbnb customer service who connected me to payments division who did the reconciliation and over 2 weeks, was paid the amount. They worked very hard but sometimes the team at Airbnb is burnt out. 

Used to work in a bank, what the bank does, is they will bounce the payment back to the payor, in this case Airbnb or their processing agent. In every company, sits an accountant who will reconcile Orphan amounts, meaning amount not being tagged to go anywhere or has been bounced, to check which is the right account. As accountants in banks and companies, we do this often. Airbnb finance department will then have an unknown sum sitting in their bank account. Unless they do something about it, customer can't do anything to it. Suggest to get service of document address (service of legal documents), and serve a letter of demand, follow by summon else customer service usually doesn't get the legal implications they are putting Airbnb on.

Airbnb team worked relentlessly from customer service to payments / accounting department to reconcile amounts that bounced (meaning it went from bank back to Airbnb because of missing details). And finally during Easter was paid the 2k ish. So The team at Airbnb do work very hard but sometimes just getting to the right team!