My first time hosting. Pool issues

Kitty39
Level 2
Ponchatoula, LA

My first time hosting. Pool issues

I am a brand new host with a house and a pool. My listing clearly stated not suitable for children but guest and I agreed.

it is also stated that the pool is a shared space. Occasionally I have friends that will use the pool. My guest decided she would dictate when the pool was available for my friends and I let that go. Guests are getting a super great deal on my home, entire house with pool. As I am new to this any feedback in regards to pool is appreciated.

10 Replies 10
Noel63
Level 10
Coober Pedy, Australia

This is difficult. You have made it exremely clear in your listing that you or your friends may drop by to use or maintain the pool. However, you don't have any reviews yet. I think you need to weigh up how important friend use of the pool is to you.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Kitty39 if the pool is shared, I'd take the word Private out of your listing title: it seems a little misleading. I think it's a bit odd to let others use that space if you're renting the whole space, and I think it could cause some issues (as it has already). Maybe set some specific hours that your friends may use it? Couldn't you also charge more for a fully private property than with a shared pool? 

My guest rented my house for 2 entire months, which is great and she is taking her child to therapy every day. Friends use the pool while she is gone. That was the agreement.

This being my first time, I did not understand pricing. She has my beautiful 3 bedroom home for about $45 a night. I don’t know how that happened. I don’t remember agreeing to that low price. I think she should know how she lucked out and share the pool.

But thank you. I see the problem is with how I listed it. Thanks!

Andreas-and-Anna0
Level 10
West Vancouver, Canada

I believe guest comfort trumps friends comfort. Maybe they’re taking over and she feels uncomfortable. But perhaps if you have a schedule where she can swim with the others and be given alone time, Say in the mornings. And you can post this on your guidelines 

Kitty39
Level 2
Ponchatoula, LA

I also think I was very nice in allowing her to rent my house in the first place. It clearly states not suitable for children. So I allowed her to bring her children who have broken the Polaris twice.

also in the listing there is no way to check either shared or private pool but states shared or private.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kitty39
>>I also think I was very nice in allowing her to rent my house in the first place. It clearly states not suitable for children. So I allowed her to bring her children who have broken the Polaris twice.

also in the listing there is no way to check either shared or private pool but states shared or private<<

You broke your own rule (for financial gain). The first mistake I'm afraid. 

Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

Agreed, don’t break your own rules. Sounds like you’re paying the price. Cheaper rate, broken items, and issues with common space. All due to bending the rules. We do ourselves a disservice when we don’t stick to our guns. Next time you’ll know. Best of luck. @Kitty39

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

$45 s night isn't worth it - maybe you / Airbnb set a large discount for long term rental ? If the property is being damaged I would attempt to cancel via Airbnb and move on. Document the damage and email Airbnb support.

Also if the pool doesn't have a fence no way you want kids - huge liability issue for someone...

Maritza30
Level 2
Stafford Township, NJ

Let guests have the pool and your friends can have access to it when you're not hosting Airbnb guest s. I think you should increase your rates since guests are using the pool. Make sure you tell your homeowners insurance that you're renting out your home to protect you from lawsuits.

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Tbh, 'secluded haven' and 'relaxing' doesn't really line up with random strangers dropping round to use the pool.  For one thing it's a security issue for the guest - she has no idea who these people are.  I wouldn't even be wildly happy about you coming round to do maintenance without letting me know.

I think you need to have a relatively high price and tell your friends that they can't use it without checking with you first that there are no guests.  It's nice to do things for friends, but they are not paying you and the guest is.  With higher prices maybe you can afford to leave a few gaps in your calendar so you can host the odd pool get-together with them.