Negative Review for Cancelling When Guest Instant Booked Against House Rules

Katie90
Level 1
Arvada, CO

Negative Review for Cancelling When Guest Instant Booked Against House Rules

I had a guest instant book with children which is against my house rules. When I told her I cannot accommodate children, and she said, "yes I saw that, but I thought I'd ask anyway." I told her I really did not feel comfortable hosting children, which is why I listed it in my house rules. She would not cancel the reservation on her end, so I did on mine. Unfortunately, I received an automated negative review stating that the host cancelled the booking within 24 hours of arrival.

On my profile I saw something that said you can cancel penalty free if a guest instant books and breaks your house rules. I emailed them about the issue, but have not heard a response yet. Does anyone know how I can get this negative review deleted?

Thanks for the help!
Katie

6 Replies 6
John353
Level 2
Durham, NC

Wow, I'm actually here to find out how folks feel about Instant Booking and the Terms of Service agreement, which seems to put the host at a lot of risk of being accused of being discrimintory.  

Thanks for letting me in on the fact the Instant Book is not cure all that Airbnb thinks it will be.

As for customer support and getting an unfair negative review unlisted, you might want to review stories like this one: http://www.airbnbhell.com/negative-airbnb-review-middle-investigation/

Kim-and-Jen0
Level 10
Oslo, Norway

Hi Katie,

You can call airbnb 

United States (USA): +1-415-800-5959 (local San Francisco number) or +1-855-424-7262 / 1-855-4-AIRBNB (toll-free)

Tell Airbnb that the guest know about your house rules. I think you shouldnt paid for the penalty and you can ask them to remove the review. If the conversations between you and your guest are using airbnb messages, tell Airbnb to look through as a proof that the guests actually knew you cant accomodate children before made a booking.

hope this help. 😃

Call them it's the only way and insist on speaking to a supervisor. I once did so multiple times before they conceded it was their mistake.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Katie - it's worth you becoming familiar with your role and responsibilities as a host.Lots of information about this on the website to minimise the chance of this sort of thing happening to you.

Call BnB now - explain what has happened and ask them to sort it out.

The guest can't review you if she didn't stay.

I'm in a similar situation. The person in my case wanted to avoid paying fees associated with cancelation. She instead called AIRBNB and complained about me not canceling. I ended up on the same place you are plus lost of posible income and my calendar blocked. Now the saga is "I need to talk to a supervisor". They are making it very difficult.  I still don't get this support.

You might be able to contact your costumer service and they might remove this on your behalf. 

host should not cancell by his own or he will be penalized no metter what the reason is. If host want's to cancel and if host has instant booking turned on then he should contact Airbnb, tell why he wants to cancel and then Aibnb will cancel for him without penalty 3x a year. The reason for cancellation can not be overbooking but can be any other reason including not feeling comfortable with a guest.

Guests can cancel also up to 3x a year and get full 100% refund including service fee IF in moment of cancelation they do not have another reservation for the same period or any overlaping days.