Negotiating problem

Ezalb0
Level 2
United States

Negotiating problem

I've been using Airbnb as a guest, sometimes my plan of the trip has unexpected events that I need to make sudden changes. There are times I made mistakes.

So I'm having a trouble negotiating with this host. First, I made a request of the availability of his place for a week of staying with a message, however, I didn't notice I checked on the wrong check out date after I realized it when I got his approval (without any of our confirmation). I told him kindly to alter my reservation to a week, he did but the strict policy he set made my rate way higher (From $25/night to $130/night) than the original booking rate. I told him the situation already and asked for a refund for the difference but he told me he had to stick to the Airbnb policy.

I also found out his location was surrounded by funeral houses (As many of you would know you don't get the exact location unless you successfully make the reservation.) He didn't mention any of it in the listing. But because of my religious background, I don't feel like staying there anymore so I asked for a cancellation. He declined because he told me that will leave him a negative mark on his record, I understand, so I requested for an alternate reservation from a week to a night so I can find another place to stay. He declined my request again because he said he already made one alteration for me (I used to requested alternate reservation 3 threes in a row with another host before, for the sake of my flight situation and other reasons and got accepted).

I've been trying to negotiating with this host peacefully, I couldn't get any help from him either Airbnb. So I hope I can get help from the community here.

I've decided not to stay at his place anyway, but I have only a day left to decide to cancel the booking on my side with an unreasonable non-refundable high rate payment for my stupid mistake, or to keep the booking but to use the chance to warn the other users about this dishonest and unforgiving host, with the rating system after the check out date.

Please, anyone, hope you can give me some advice.

6 Replies 6
Sora0
Level 7
Singapore

Making changes or cancallation last minute will affect host bookings. Strict policy does not affect the increase of rate. rates night be different on different days. so the new dates you are looking it might be higher that lead to the higher prices.

I will also stick to the airbnb policy for any cancellation and refund else it lose the purpose of setting it strict, host can just set it to flexible instead. As mentioned making changes or cancallation last minute will affect host bookings. Hence, marking a strict policy is to ensure both host and guests will able to compensate the penalty amount for any changes.

As for the location wise, I believe part of the reason is also guest is already unhappy about the host chose to stick to airbnb policy and hoping that the location might be a good reason to cancel without penalty. Sorry but to say that, this is my point of view. However, it depends on individual preference, so its not necessary for the host to state it.

Yes, we agreed with the host that as they are not at fault, they should not be the one to cancel the booking. Lastly, if the host is really a dishonest host like what you have said, reviews will reflect and umpteen of negative reviews will cause suspension from airbnb. So no worries if he/she is a bad host like you have mentioned, reviews will save other interested guests.

Thank you for your feedback.

(I didn't make last minute reservation by the way because I travel in an urgent situation, so I had less than 7 days to find a place to stay before the flight)

I would also like to hear someone from a guest perspective.

What will you do if you are in my situation?

@Ezalb0

As a guest I would not chose to book a place with a strict cancellation policy - especially when I know I have previous reasons that make come up again and make it difficult to keep the booking.

Follow the rules and take the charges applied - or keep the booking and don't complain.

Its a business decision, not a personal one. If you have booked dates at a place and then want to cancel - you are stopping someone else from booking those dates and allowing the host to make his money.

Thank you, I will totally keep that in mind!

In fact, I don't think I will ever look for a place with a strict cancellation again, or maybe using Airbnb.

To me, Airbnb doesn't seem flexible enough to guest or for cases like mine (Such as urgent booking).

I wish I could bare with the environment that is surrounded by funeral houses and stores. (I actually wouldn't care much even if it has a strict policy)

I would love to stay and rather keep the booking I first made if it really wasn't for the environment, the shame is that no vistors in the previous review mention about it at all. Well, at least I got it out of my system and I feel like someone here at least understand a bit of my feeling. Thanks again.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Ezalb0

Airbnb is a wonderful option to book an accommodation cheaper than at a hotel. However, because private hosts usually only have one room they are much less flexible than hotels, so the policies are more strict.

Hotels with many rooms and usually a number of free ones at all times have calculated guest booking mistakes and cancellations into their total room prices and can thus be very flexible.

Sometimes it's a lot less hassle on short notice to book a commercial hotel instead of an Airbnb.

I agree with you. My situation had already made the rate high enough to get a decent hotel tho.

So to me, booking a hotel obviously became a better option.

Maybe I didn't paraphrase my situation in order in my original post, I actually freaked out by finding out his location before I noticed the strict policy and the high non-refundable payment. As I said, I wouldn't really care that much about staying for long and no problem with the policy if it wasn't for the environment. It's just something I wouldn't be able to find out. I believe not many people would ask the potential host the first question with "Is your location surrounded by funeral houses?" Maybe a better question would be, "Is it a shady area?" I think for sure, as in business perspective, hosts would rather not to mention anything that would possibility turn the customer off to look into their place isn't it?

I hope my experience would help many other Airbnb users, double check your check-in/out date before you request the availability, and ask as many questions that concerned you as you can before making a decision.

I was in a hurry and for that I made mistakes. I sure paid a lot for this lesson.