New Airbnb Host Here!

Sierra8
Level 1
George Town, Malaysia

New Airbnb Host Here!

Hi everyone! I am very new to Airbnb! 

I am not sure if i am doing it right, is my listing complete or did i miss out any important information? I rented out the space earlier, but not through Airbnb. 

And if i were to take security deposits from guests, 

1. Is USD 50 sufficient? Airbnb suggested that i put at least USD 100, but i think that's too much

2. Does the USD 50 add up to the total amount my guests need to pay? I know they will get their deposits back, but adding security deposit would be a disadvantage for those who only allocate a small amount of money for accommodation. 

Please help me on this. I want to make my listing complete (please suggest anything i need to add).

Thank you in advance! 

By the way, i am hosting it with my best friend 🙂

1 Reply 1
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hell @Sierra8,

Your listing looks really cosy and inviting. I hope that renting on Airbnb is a success for you.

From my own experience, I'd but an end time for check in. For example 3pm to 10pm.

With no end time a guest can request checkin at 2am and Airbnb will blame you if you're not able to be there.

If you have an end time you can always agree a later time for individual guests, if it suits you. In this case Airbnb is likely to agree with you if a guest turns up hours after the checkin time end and you can't let them in.

Regarding the security deposit ...

The guest doesn't pay this in advance. This link explains how Airbnb security deposits work. How does Airbnb handle security deposits?

It's just a hold that Airbnb may put on the guest's card in case a host makes a claim and Airbnb decides to allow the claim.

Hosts here say that it can be extreemly difficult to get Airbnb to pay with this system if there is damage but it can have the effect of discouraging guests who want to have a party as a lot of guests wrongly believe that they do have to pay it in advance.

Your listing says "4 guests" but there's a line in the description that says "An original townhouse which nicely fits in 4 to 5 guests".

There are 3 beds but I can't see what type the beds are. I'd just make sure that the set maximum number of guests and the description text agree. Otherwise guests may get the idea that they can bring in more people and you won't mind.

That's the kind of uncertainty that party bookers look for.

Steve.