New Guests Don't Understand what Private Room Means

New Guests Don't Understand what Private Room Means

No matter how many places I put that my listing is a Private Room, I still get many guests who think they are renting the entire place. I have it in at least 3 places, including in the Guest Trip Information when they are booking. The problem is guests see my price and reviews and immediately pounce on the listing without actually reading anything. When a local books, 99% of they time they have no clue it's a private room (I really wish I could block locals altogether). 

After booking I even message the guests personally and let them know that we live in the home and they will be utilizing the guest bedroom. They still get here surprised that we live live in the home. At this price point, it would seem  like a no-brainer to me that you are not getting the entire place, but I disgress.  It actually makes things very uncomfortable when they dont realize we live here, but I am not sure there is anything more I can do. 

11 Replies 11
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

Hi @Kalin-And-Marquis0. I only have one suggestion after registering my own surprise that your guests are surprised.

In this section:

-Interaction with guests

-I mostly stay out of your way and allow you to enjoy your trip, but I will be available to help you with -anything you need during your stay. Feel free to call or text me.

You might want to adjust this to something along the lines of "Since we live in the condo, we are available to help you with anything you need, but will mostly stay out of your way and allow you to enjoy your trip.  Or you can feel free to call or text."

You can clean that up. Your writing style is more stylish than mine.

I added this, but out of my 190 groups, only two have been surprised that I live in this house.

@Susan151 Thank you Susan. While it seems like that would help, many of the guests just won't read it. I have this in the guest trip info and they don't read this either. Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 9.32.26 PM.png

@Kalin-And-Marquis0. Could be. But, by saying you are available by call or text, the implication is that you will not be at the condo. Your IB message is rather clear though.

So, why do my guests read and other hosts get guests that don't? [Sorry, that is an existential thought that would require its own thread.]

Totally agree here with @Susan151’s statement. Too ambiguous!

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Kalin-And-Marquis0, may I say you have a beautiful place, great photos and fantastic reviews, for which you should be very proud! Looking through your reviews, there was not one that I could see in the initial scrolling, that mentioned it being a shared premises or even in the negative.......

1.    First response> booking message:

So continue to have a basic saved message for when people book, that you can send them through the AIrbnb messages. .... Thank you for booking our Airbnb private space in our shared condominium, for welook forward to welcoming you with check in .... and check out ......

2. Airbnb descriptors: 

Along with @Susan151  I believe your descriptors could be tightened a little. They are accurate, but open for misinterpretation from the over enthusiastic, or someone who does not have English as a first language.

Your initial descriptor states the access to the living room etc etc  guest bedroom etc.

👆🏼 Maybe turn it around stating the guest space first, then be specific about the shared spaces.

State that the homestay specifically provides a beautiful (secured?) private bedroom and bathroom for the guest/s  use only. 

Guest access: 

All common living areas are amicably utilised by both you the hosts, as well as them the guests.but please check out the house rules. Etc etc...

Interaction with guests:

Noting: The condominium is shared accommodation with the hosts. Depending on our schedule, we tend to be not of a high profile in the property. But if you need us we are always available with a smile to assist and converse. If you need us and we are not present in the shared spaces, then please do not hesitate to Airbnb message us for a quick response.

But not my wording... rework it! 

Lol...

Cathie

@Cathie19 Thanks for all of that wonderful advice. I will definitely use some of those ideas and hope for the best. 

@Kalin-And-Marquis0

I host a single occupancy private room in my home. I agree with others that some of the wording is a bit ambiguous so a person skimming thru and not reading carefully may assume based on what they WANT and EXPECT to see.

Looking at your listing description, you talk about a private room, and being available but you never really say point blank "Hosts live on-site." - it is implied, which is why I think you are having this problem.

Ever since I changed my listing description to include the following, I've never had anyone confuse how things are set up.  

Our apartment has total 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms, and we host only one guest at a time so you will be our "only guest".

Our guest will have full PRIVATE use of the single occupancy guest bedroom and the private guest bathroom which is across the hall from the bedroom.

Hosts live on-site and occupy the 2 other bedrooms and en-suite bathroom. This is a shared home listing.

The Living Room and Kitchen are SHARED spaces for eating meals or to hang out.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Kalin-And-Marquis0

On the photo of your listing XXXXsize bedroom.

Underneath this photo clearly state/describe the bedroom.

Furthermore do not include photos of areas of your home or other rooms that guests may NOT go into.

Finally include a note along the lines of.....Although I live in the property I will leave you to enjoy your stay in my family home.

I have "Private room" directly in my title.. it's only been up about a month, but I haven't had a single person even ask for clarification. That's one issue I did not want to have.
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

It is obvious to me that you have put a lot of thought into your listing.  It is a lovely space.  As others have stated you can reduce the ambiguity with changing your title along with more information about shared spaces.  @Kalin-And-Marquis0 perhaps you have never been an Air BNB guest but when searching,  the guest will look at location, price, pictures and reviews in that order.   As they narrow down the options, they may read or perhaps skim your description.  Agreeing to rules or acknowledging limitations are often done with a click and not really read.  SO...the best opportunity to clarify is in clear picture order and captions.  Be sure to use "shared" in your descriptors where appropriate.

I have had the same problem a couple of times, but my welcome message not includes my asking the guest to confirm they understand I and my dog will be in the house with them.   After you do all that, and the guest is still surprised, then you might consider drug testing...:P

Bahahahaha Linda!