New To Airbnb everything was great until...

Ephraim0
Level 10
New York, NY

New To Airbnb everything was great until...

Hello everyone I am a bit confused, and a little worried.  I posted two suites on airbnb. Immedietly I began booking people. 9 booking in a few days. My response was always very fast. Everything was going better than I could have imagined. Airbnb gave me great placement. Then all of the sudden my listings are buried in no mans land. The only thing that I can think of that changed was I did a resolution to give a guest $100 who couldnt figure out how to turn on the AC.The circuit breaker on the plug needed to be pushed in. And he said he didnt want to wake me up. When he notified me in the morrning I showed him how to reset it it. I felt bad he slept with no AC. I thought I was doing a good thing he never complained actually he felt bad he couldnt figure it out by himself. Now my listings are pretty much gone. The guest was really happy and said i shouldnt have. Is this the reason I'm not getting decent placement anymore?  I feel like an idiot. 

7 Replies 7
Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

@Ephraim0 This has nothing to do with your guest. All new listings get preferential placement at the beginning, to help them get started. After that, you are placed in the same bag as everyone else so the search results may not show your listing anywhere near the top anymore.

OH, OK that makes sense. Thank you I was really starting to worry. Fair enough I will just wait for my guests to leave reviews. Again thank you very much, you put my mind at ease.

Hi Ephraim!  Great work as a host!  Listen, the other reply you received is absolutely correct. I have been a host with Airbnb ( and SuperHost since that program started) since 2011....officially opening my retreat in June of 2012.  It was a bit of a slow start....booked more in the very beginning with TripAdvisor...but then Airbnb picked up and soon I was solely booking almost non-stop for the past 3 years.  I'm explaining this to you for two reasons: #1:  yes....you must be patient and just get your guests to review you and you will slowly move up the ladder.  But, #2; This year has been a sudden drop.  I have nearly 200 5-Star reviews...beautiful words guests write about me as a host, and this property over and over again...nothing less...and a gorgeous, gorgeous, unique property for couples...a private retreat....but still my business with Airbnb has dropped in half. Totally unexpected!! So be aware this all may have nothing to do with you or your place.  The issue seems to be that Airbnb has become saturated and it's very difficult to see this but it's nevertheless, the way is going.  I have really loved my partnership with Airbnb....adore all the staff I speak with, and I have amazing guests....but it's really difficult to come to terms with this inevitable "saturation" of the market that has now happened with hosts trying to rent on Airbnb. So I would just advise you to be prepared for that. I wasn't....trying to adjust now.

I wish you the best.  I know you will be a great host because you care.

Ciel 🙂

The Chianti Life Retreat-California

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I must say that was a very nice, infomative and encouraging response whilst still being realistic.

Ama

Thanks Ama.....

Can you please tell me what this "level 10" means...and the "level 1" means?  What the heck is this?

Thank you!

Hope to visit your place one day

Ciel

The Chianti Life Retreat

Indeed your reply was accurate and kindly.

The levels relate to responses/replies made by that person on this site.

some people are very active and willingly share their knowledge and experience .

Michelle

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ciel/Red thank you very much for your kind comment; you would be most welcome here and perhaps one day, I might have the privilege of visiting  

your Magical Dream Dome Treehouse, it looks absolutely magical!

And yes as Michelle mentioned, level 10 simply refers to amount of involvement on the community site; it is not a status reflection although sometimes would indicate that the member perhaps has a bit of experience. That said you could be a level one and have equal experience by not the spare time to give to site for other commitments; at this rate of back and forth communication, you'll be a level 2 soon

:-)...

Take care now, it’s been a real pleasure reading your contribution,

Ama