No More College-Age Guests Without a Parent

Answered!
Margaret157
Level 7
Cheltenham, PA

No More College-Age Guests Without a Parent

My post originally stated that all are welcome ~ including younger travelers. Nope. No more.

After this last crew checked out ~ and left me less than five stars after

1) not letting me know what time they were arriving,

2) locking themselves out

3) requesting more towels because theirs were clumped up in little wet balls on the floor,

4) needing a jump start because their car battery died AND ASKING MY NEIGHBOR TO DO IT,

5) leaving the place a wreck

~ my post is now changed to require college-age students to be accompanied by a parent.

The previous group of young travelers used my vintage, 1950s magazines as coasters and left a mountain of cigarette butts on my property, left the place a disaster, AND complained while they were here. In addition to Freshman English Composition and Western Civilization, a required course for graduation should be How to Behave in Public.

1 Best Answer
Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

@Margaret157 Hello Margaret, I used to travel States and Europe for work for 15 years.

every hotel/motel I stayed in 

The noise level from adjoining rooms and hallways was terrible.the night manager was in a quandary about what to do 80% of the time.You have to weed out the younger people.But there are also lots of beautiful and well behaved young students and travelers out there too.Just be stern if you feel that "stress booking" take a while to accept and ponder on it.But I live in Israel most younger guests have done the army, and I still get called sir at times until I tell them to call me "Bruce the Almighty."

View Best Answer in original post

22 Replies 22

Having two homes that sleep 8 and 10 guests, I do not discriminate against any age group.  It is true that older folks can be terribly  fussy and messy, too.  I have found having a large security deposit helpful, but my best insurance is communication with potential young guests.  I remind them they are staying in someone's home and that they need to reassure ME that they are responsible and respectful!  I remind them that this is not a hotel and that my neighbors will be keeping an eye on situations (smoking, loud music, parties...) Basically, I talk to them like they are my own kids LOL.  I also remind them that our conversations are documented on the site and we BOTH want good reviews.  I tell them Airbnb is a community and we treat each other with respect.  And if guests are making too many demands (which I can certainly relate to), you can say no; like any good parent.  Hope this helps.

I have had bad experiences with all ages of guests and updated my house rules with my more important rules in all caps.  I always communicate with people and I have a question in my house rules that all prospective guests must answer before they can register.  I always include the booking details in my acceptance email....."your booking is for 2 NON-SMOKING ADULTS from Mon. June 17 th - Thurs. June 20th., in acordance with the Airbnb Terms of Service." This lets them know that I mean business as I have essentially  re-inforced Airbnb's policy and that I have nailed their foot to the floor.  Good guests have no problem with this as it protects them as well as me. I also never communicate outside of the Airbnb platform, nor do I ever accept cash as I believe those actions are a invitation to abuse by guests. I don't have IB nor will I ever. Prospective guests who automatically ask for a discount because they are so special, neglect to answer my house rules question as well as go out of their way to make a point about me providing "special"  unreasonable accommodations  get turned down.  Guarantying that their car will be completly safe, which is a physical impossibility as I don't control the Universe much less where lightning strikes! The worst guests I have had are entitled, priviledged, "yupsters" who are phobic and demanding after the fact about everything, " I only drink yak milk collected on the left bank of...." I try to engage the prospective guests in a written dialog and if they don't feel they can't be bothered or need to respond or have little grasp of composition; even non English speaking guests who are going to be good guests are able to communicate that they have understand their responsibilities. The bottom line is good communication, it may be extra work getting the booking completed but in the end it is worth it.  Since I have adopted theese policies I have had for the most part a wonderful experience hosting and have met some wonderful people of all ages, becoming friends with several that come back for longer visits.

Happy hosting, Eloise at Happy Trails

David276
Level 1
Galway, Ireland

I completely agree with you. I had a similar experience. These guests all students had no respect for the housee. They broke my shower and laughed in my face (literally) when I stated that it was a new shower. They had also not told me about th shower and I had to dicover it for myself. They threw cushions around the house. There was supposed to be 4 guests and they showed up with five. We are not a cheapo hostel!! It is our home!! The thing is they didn't care. Why? Because it is not their propertly and have not had to earn it so therefore feel they can treat it with disrespect.

They left me a terrible review which will affect any future bookings and left me low stars.

Michael935
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

I would say - "Heads up - I live in the house - this is NOT a party palace. Just keep it in mind when booking" I have had no problem with any age but I do rent to only two people.

Bruce43
Level 10
Kfar Blum, Israel

@Margaret157 Hello Margaret, I used to travel States and Europe for work for 15 years.

every hotel/motel I stayed in 

The noise level from adjoining rooms and hallways was terrible.the night manager was in a quandary about what to do 80% of the time.You have to weed out the younger people.But there are also lots of beautiful and well behaved young students and travelers out there too.Just be stern if you feel that "stress booking" take a while to accept and ponder on it.But I live in Israel most younger guests have done the army, and I still get called sir at times until I tell them to call me "Bruce the Almighty."

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

" @Bruce43 The Almighty" that just cracks me up LOL!

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Margaret157 I started my own business when I was 14 and I travel internationally by myself since I was 16. I can confidently say that I might be more responsible than some people who are older than me. My age doesn't really define me as a person nor how I would behave. It might give some idea and there might be some pattern that people of a certain age will behave a certain way. However, it's depend on the person, you can be good/bad no matter how old you are. I have been hosting for the past 4 years and I have seen good and bad guests of different ages. I can say that there are great younger guests and there are great older guests. There are also terrible younger guests and terrible older guests. I understand that most of the time stereotype comes from reality and there's a pattern about it, but that doesn't mean everyone from th same "group" are exactly the same. If this is how you make your judgment and decision (1 bad experience ends everything), then I think sooner or later you will not be hosting anybody once you see that actually there are older people who can be terrible guests too, then what? You won't host them either?

This issue has been resolved and I was unable to delete my original post.