Number of Guests Booking: Suggestion for Airbnb

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Number of Guests Booking: Suggestion for Airbnb

Please take this poll:  http://goo.gl/forms/7otIJChX7d

I have seen a common issue posted on the Community Center which happens with several hosts on Airbnb and that is with the number of guests people book for and the number of guests who show up at the door.  This is often a result of 1) a guest trying to "sneak" in extra guests because the host charges extra per person over "X" amount or 2) some guests feel that children should or are not considered people/guests.

Airbnb states that, ""You need to disclose the total number of guests accurately when making reservation requests, including infants and children (Travelling with children)." Now most people would not even know where to find this and it is not on the booking page when you choose the number of guests.  

Airbnb needs to change the way guests book when it comes to inputing the number of guests.  By guests showing up at a host's listing with more people than the host is expecting puts the guest and the host in a difficult position.  It is essentially starting the Airbnb experience out as a negative experience.  Any number of things could happen including 1) the host turning the guest away or only allowing the number of guests in that were booked or 2) putting the burden onto the host by now having to charge for extra guests.  This is not good for the Airbnb brand and you can bet the host will not be getting a favourable review even though the situation was not their fault.

I would like to see Airbnb add a box for the number of children that will be staying just like the airlines and hotels have on their sites.  This would also help out for those hosts who have not checked off "Family Friendly" as the search would not even show their listing if the children box is filled out.

What are your thoughts and experiences of extra guests showing up at your doorstep?  Should this be something that Airbnb should implement or leave it as it is?  

Please share your thoughts below AND complete this quick 2 question survey: http://goo.gl/forms/7otIJChX7d (Results of the poll are here: https://goo.gl/9lTWbD)

Here are a couple of examples of what Airbnb could include:

children.png

children2.png 

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

156 Replies 156
Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

On the other side of the coin my best friend and I are trying to book Air B and B in Dubai but we don't want to sleep in the same bed

so in all my searches yesterday two adults get a double bed

twins would be fine or two single rooms can't find anything for two adults who don't sleep together except whole houses which are too expensive so will have to be an hotel 

I don't think houses are too expensive if the rate for the first two people is low. For example, I only charge $80 for the first two people (and yes they are allowed to use two beds) and $20 for each additional person per night. But it is the very fact that my initital cost is so low that sets me up as a victim of fraud by guests sneaking in more people than were paid for. If I were to charge $240/night for the house which is for the total capacity of 10 people, I would not get the bookings for the small groups or just two people. I can't win.

In my three worst cases the guests were caught red-handed, so to speak. Once by my friend/cleaning lady, once by a comment made by one of the guests (gosh we fit three of us into that little white bed), and once by a neighbour across the road. The only recourse I had was to give them a bad review, which I did. I would like the power to throw them out without a refund, but there remains the element of providing proof.

For that reason I have been considering installing a surveillance camera at all the entrances. It is legal in my area to post cameras outside, but not inside. However, I am having trouble finding one that can be monitored here at my computer at home and which has a 24 hour memory/record because obviously I cannot sit here and monitor it every minute. Does any do this and have suggestions for me?

The problem is so serious that we are considering changing the price to the full $240 a night and taking our losses. It is better than being continually victimized.

Rita10
Level 3
Sunshine Coast, Australia

Monica, I would be looking at getting a surveillance camera at each entrance as you suggested, one that you can have access to the microchip and check it regularly when you have someone who only wants to pay for, say, two people without booking the house at $240.  That way, you have proof.  Get the courage to talk with them by saying something like, how did your friend with the brown curly hair who drove the red Ferrari enjoy staying.  That way then, they will know that you know they had someone else there. Then say that they will need to remit the extra to Airbnb and that you will let Airbnb know that they had extra and to expect extra payment.....

I hope this is in order with Airbnb and some help to you Monica.

I tried to add the extra guest who sneaked in the day after check in. The system would not allow me to change the booking after the check in date. Did you have any luck with it?

I am lucky that I live on my property.

People have to register according to local law, before I can let them in to the room.

I get adress, names, date of birth everything. If they show up with more than expected I will give them the Wifi Password, and they can add the extra persons, if not, they do not get into the room.

And for the bad review........ don't take it too personal. 

I had a bad one today, they did not properly read the add, and did not have a look at the pictures, and blame the host.

I just turned my reply into a request to all future guests to properly read before they book.

I am looking at getting a new doorbell w/ a video camera in it - have you seen them yet?   It's called "Ring Video Doorbell".  Costco has it. It triggers via motion detection (so you'll also see if someone is stealing a package left at your door), or by ringing the doorbell.

Check it out on Amazon here:   

Ring Wi-Fi Enabled Video Doorbell
   by Ring
   Link: http://amzn.com/B00N2ZDXW2

I just had "4" guests from China - and they got out extra sheets, blankets & towels from my linen closet (in addition to the 5 sets of sheets already on 5 beds & towels on bars).   So, I had 14 loads of laundry to do after they checked out.   No idea how many people were here, but it sure didn't feel like 4 girls.

I'd REALLY like Airbnb to REQUIRE guest details, for each guest staying overnight - which corresponds to the number guests booked:

*name

*mobile

*email

*drivers license #/passport #

*adult (13+)/child (1-12)/infant (<1)

I think this is important for hosts, as well as for guests - especially in a city like San Francisco, where an earthquake is always possible.   

This is not "the other side of the coin" and has nothing to do with guest groups showing up at a house with extra people.  

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Laurie6its an appeal for accommodation for two friends or sisters who need two beds 

I agree with everyone about the sneaky people but how can I book in Dubai where everything is huge flats or whole houses we can't afford a whole house

If in OZ come and stay with me Sara - 2 bedrooms - 1 with singles :))

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Isabelle3im saving to do that Isabelle my brother lives in Toowoomba where are you.?

Hey Sara - In NSW - the Blue Mountains - 5 minutes from the village of Leura :))

Wish I could help but since I've just listed my house, I can't answer question 1 so I can't answer 2. Good luck - it's a good idea.

I agree.  Stating the number of rooms required would be helpful as not all groups of two are couples. 

Charles5
Level 3
Jersey City, NJ

Hi Dave /Deb:

Great suggestion that would be easy for AirBnB to implement. How do you handle additional guests being sneeked in?  I have 2 guests who has stayed for 10 days so far. Last night a third guest came to visit and never left. I suspect that he is gonna be here the 4 days of their remaining stay. How do I tactfully handle this? My listing charges $25 a day per additional guest  after the first 2 guests.

Call into  Airbnb customer service