Occupancy tax

Mark416
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

Occupancy tax

How do I know if the occupancy tax has been collected/remitted?

According to the information under "Location" it is collected for Palm Desert, CA but there is no indication on my transaction history that it was collected and there is nothing on my public page that it is part of the price. As well, I can find no way to add tax information to the listing.

5 Replies 5

@Mark416:

If you go to your listing and enter dates, like you are going to book your house so that you can view the charges, it does show an occupancy tax of $142 for your required seven days.

@Mark416, @Rachael26 (edited reply)

Go into your admin panel, click your tiny picture upper right and then click "Account Settings" in the drop-down menu.

On the screen that appears, click "Transaction History."

On the next screen click the "Gross Earnings" tab.

On this screen you can view the ammount of taxes Airbnb has collected and will remit on your behalf.

@Tim-and-Holly0

@Mark416

With all due respect - I would assume nothing!

Your State may be different - but Airbnb's process is the same all over- they do collect state and occupancy tax from the guest (check out the bottom of each confirmation email to find out how much - as well as gross earning in your host dashboard).

But do not assume that your county/city knows that You have made that contribution - because they don't - because Airbnb don't tell them!

The finance depts just get a single check each month from Airbnb - with no individual names or Tax numbers.

So it is totally up to you to contact your local city finance dept and register or complete a monthly form letting them know how many bookings and how much tax collected should be allocated to your name/listing.

BE PROACTIVE - don't wait until it's too late.

Best Wishes.

Thanks for the responses. Very helpful.

Mark

@Tim-and-Holly0

Have another look at my reply - I can assure you that your local city/county finance dept DO NOT know how much of the Airbnb collected occupancy tax is to be applied to you - UNLESS YOU TELL THEM.

I have no doubt that this situation will evolve and develop with time as the councils catch up with the short term home rental explosion - but right now, all that is happening is that Airbnb have made agreements with various States to collect the State and County taxes - and then send them a monthly check as agreed. No names, no tax numbers, no EINs - just a lump sum check.

So please pick up the telephone - or pay a visit - to your local finance office. They will be more than helpful, and it will help them to sort out who owes what, and who has paid what.

Just because Airbnb have collected the occupancy tax from your guest, and record it on your earning tab - doesn't mean the State, or County/City know it was YOUR guest.

Best Wishes.

Mary653
Level 1
San Diego, CA

I have a vacation rental in Big Bear California , I was informed because I asked that they do NOT collect occupancy tax from our guests , there isn’t even s place on the site I can add it , the only way you can ask for it is after the reservation is completed and ask through their resolution center . Guests get upset with you ask for the tax even though you have it listed on the discription, You see Airbnb can’t collect the tax if they are not going to pay it . Airbnb needs to find a better way of handling the occupancy tax in areas that do not collect it in .

Any suggestions on how others are collecting in areas Airbnb is not paying or collecting them ? Hi