PETS And FEES

Shanyn0
Level 3
Urangan, Australia

PETS And FEES

Hi Guys, 

I am a host and allow pets, I think it is great that people can bring their fur babies along with them while they are on holidays but i would love it if AIR BNB would put an opion for a pet fee/pet cleaning fee. What are your thoughts? I do find that when we have a dog stay that the cleaning is always so much more but i do not want the minority to blow it for the majority. Whats your thoughts?

75 Replies 75

@Jeannie-B-0  how do you like Airbnb vs. VRBO.  With all my issues being able to collect security deposits I am tempted to try VRBO. I would love to hear your thoughts!

Thank you

I completely agree with what you are saying and have surfaced this issue on my own.  How do we get Airbnb to listen and make this adjustment?  VRBO does this quite easily!

List on VRBO.  They have a pet fee checkbox.  

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Of course we need a pet fee @Shanyn0 and it has been discussed here a thousand times but Airbnb ignores us completely.

I use resolution center to charge for it

Pet security deposit would also be helpfull as Airbnb host protection doesn't cover damages made by pets so host can only charge it in cash on arrival which is not allowed by the Airbnb TOS. So, it's catch 22... and as a result many hosts don't allow pets

Totally agree

Yes the Stayz portal has a pet fee, so it would make sense for AirBNB to add it, we allow pets with some limitations of course it adds another set of rules and requirements.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Shanyn0 You like 'fur babies' wow!! Just remember 'fur babies' are not always that!

I had a guest who asked to bring along two average size dogs! These dogs would you believe, when they arrived were two Burnese Mountain dogs, each one weighing in at more than 60 Kgs. They destroyed months of hard work in our garden and the guest refused to restrain them saying I allowed them to come, and made some flippant comment on leaving...."I hope the dogs were not too much of a problem"!!

In that instant I changes my house rules.......NO PETS, period! I don't give a sh*t what it is, it is not welcome here. Pet owners will abuse a priviledge Sharyn, their little angel never does anything wrong!

Why would you be travelling with 'fur babies'? This should tell the host that at the very least they will be used as a pet minding service while the guests attends something or other the pets cannot accompany then on. Pet owners will tolerate a 'bladder with four legs' piss*ng on their pants. Pet owners will tolerate a dog throwing up all over that lovely white carpet. Pet owners will tolerate claw scratch marks down all the doors in the house as fido attempts to discover freedom!

Sharyn, you will learn....I hope the experience of learning is not as costly for you as it was for us!

Cheers......Rob

Hi Rob,

I have allowed pets for 3 years now and thank god that i have not had these issues. 

I also allow pets and have had overwhelmingly positive experiences.  I feel particularly confident when the guest reaches out to assure us that their pet is well-behaved and an already experienced traveller.  In fact, pets score much better than kids do for me in terms of leaving crayon marks, food detritus, pee on bedsheets etc.  Of course there is always a risk but I've had three bad experiences with guests in 6 years misusing my space with noise and extra guests and none of them were pet owners. 

Agreed! I have 80% of my guests travelling with a pet dog. There is a place in the reservation fees on VRBO to include a pet fee, yet Airbnb stubbornly refuses to help hosts and guests with this addition. I too, would rather have dogs than children.

P.S. I do not accept cats due to so many guests having allergies.

Totally agree.  1 little hypoallergenic dog left a cloud of fur on my pillow cases.  Had to throw the whole 300.00 set away.  I've had on little dog miraculously morph into 2 medium and a BIG ass dog.  I hope her inevitable crash is bloodless.  

Karl-and-Anneke0
Level 2
Gilgandra, Australia

Yes I agree, I am thinking of charging extra for pets too as there is so much extra cleaning after them & I think if a person loves them enough to take them away with them, then they will be willing to pay a small extra fee to have them stay.

We were like Rob. Our first guest said they had one small dog. It ended up being two Great Danes, the biggest dogs I have ever seen. Lucky for us we have concrete floors with throw rugs. They stayed two days and I had to wash the rugs twice. This is just from there paws. My job is to make my job easier not harder. Say no to pets ! Happy Hosting 

Yes my guests expect to pay a fee for their dog and if all goes well and it always has, I often tell them their pup can stay free the next time. I keep dog bowls, furniture covers, tie outs, and towels which my guests appreciate. Oh, I also provide an extra top sheet if the dog sleeps on their bed too.

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Shanyn0: We allow pets but do not charge a pet fee. Just a personal preference as I do not like to pay pet fees when we travel. We clean the guesthouse the same way if there are pets or if there are no pets so to charge extra in my mind is not really worth it. No point in haggling over $20. We do have a $300 security deposit.