Please don't use white towels to remove makeup

Answered!
Joe227
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Please don't use white towels to remove makeup

Hey Guys,

I have tried many ways like adding this to house manual, hanging a note on washroom mirror, puting a note on towels, direct message to female guests before check-in and Im surprise its still happening and they clean their makeup with white towels ! some gens clean the showes as well!. I am surprise how these makeup matterials are made that even bleaching towels can not remove the stains! therefore I have to buy new set ot towels every 2 months or less.

I'm wondering if anyone has a successful experiance.

Thanks

Joe

1 Best Answer
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

I can't believe that people use ANY of the host's linen to remove make up..... I wouldn't consider it reasonable to impose extra laundering costs or destroy towels. I've never worn make up in my life, but if I did, I would think it proper to travel with my own means of removal; either my own wash cloth or  disposable wipes.

View Best Answer in original post

49 Replies 49

I have had several guests do this as well, one replaced the towels, fortunately. It can be a bit fustrating. For me they ruined a set of sheets by sleeping with Benzoil Peroxide on. 

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

1)  No white towels.  2) I put a packet of moist make-up wipes on the table top in the guest rooms.   They cost me 99 cents each.  3) I have a decorative glass jar full of cotton face wipes in the bathrooms. 4) I have never had a problem with make up stains.  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I'm lucky- I never get female guests who use a lot of make-up. Bit of eyeliner's about it. But I do get the ones who use essential oils, and other natural products, which can be bad, too. One of my guests, altho she left the place clean and tidy, left some kind of drip marks every 2 feet, from the bed all the way into the bathroom- it ate the sealer off the tiles and now I have to put on another sealer coat.

@Sarah977 Wow! I hope she wasn't putting whatever that was on her skin or hair!! Potent stuff! 

@Michelle-And-Michael0   Well, supposedly if you pour Coca-cola on your car, it will eat the paint off, so...

Susan850
Level 3
West Linn, OR

Tan washcloths PLUS makeup remover clothsTan washcloths PLUS makeup remover cloths

Just in case they miss that drawer I put the towelettes next to the white washcloths. Many have disappeared anyway.Just in case they miss that drawer I put the towelettes next to the white washcloths. Many have disappeared anyway.

Are the costs of repairing and replacing hi end linens worth it?

The last 3 “white” washcloths are not all white anymore either. 

UPDATE: I wrote a note directly to guest who explained the reason for white towel turning tan due to coffee and she offered to pay for the replacement. 

Hope all have this courtesy. 

Heather28
Level 4
Frederick, MD

I too have had this issue with many of my young female guests. I have gone so far as to have to write a negative review for one as I specifically asked them not to soil the towels and use makeup removers and I also provide both dark and light towels for guests. They still chose to use the White towels and soiled the towel in entirety. I also provide makeup removers. I have found switching to dark towels and sheets is helpful. Best of luck

I provide 3 grey towels of different size and one white. From time to time the guests will  use the white towel for mascara and also the grey ones. Whenever I tell the guest to be careful with that and weather they brought make-up remover it doesn't happen (sadly, they should know it is not ok to do at first place). 

I have written in house manual that cleaning fee does not include the removal of food stains, mascara, etc. from bed linen and towels.

If after all that I mentioned above I find stains etc. I cut points and if I feel like it I will send them private note what they should be doing better next time. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hey @Eva2824 ,

That definitely sounds like a good strategy. Other Hosts usually also mention considering providing disposable towels for guests to use for makeup removal, to not risk staining the linens or towels. 

I like your idea of
 clearly written house manuals so that guests know what they are responsible for when it comes to cleaning.

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Heather28
Level 4
Frederick, MD

Oh one more notation, do no be afraid to ask your guest to replace the linen, I have done this on several occurrences and all but one have done so or left me money to do so. This keeps it a win-win situation for all. Without using the resolution center as well. 🙂

Natasha45
Level 7
Athens, GA

@Joe227 - I have two dark blue wash clothes that I ‘roll’ and have placed in a small sliver basket by the sink. I also have makeup wipes in the drawer. Seems to have cut down on eye makeup on my white wash clothes. 

I also buy the 4-6 pack nicer white wash clothes at TJMaxx every couple of months & toss the older ones. 

I had the same issue. Many white towels were left with bad stains. Now I am just using dark colors. No more white towels. 

Lisa4962
Level 2
White Plains, NY

I confess, I need to ask - how are people getting makeup stains out of dark towels though? I chose white because they can be bleached and stain removal for the most part is actually easier. But yes my last guests ruined a couple towels and pillowcase with makeup which withstood all my stain removal methods. Is it that people are just overlooking the makeup stains on black washcloths/towels because they contrast less? Because otherwise I’m not following how this is a viable solution.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

I can't believe that people use ANY of the host's linen to remove make up..... I wouldn't consider it reasonable to impose extra laundering costs or destroy towels. I've never worn make up in my life, but if I did, I would think it proper to travel with my own means of removal; either my own wash cloth or  disposable wipes.

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

We have switched all our white towels & face clothes over to black ones after a bunch of guest used them to remove their makeup & left mascara all over them. Black coloured ones thus far have worked well. I also put makeup remover pads in the bathroom now too 🙂