Poll - Do you provide breakfast?

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Poll - Do you provide breakfast?

Polls.png

Hi all,

To continue our series of polls which started last week with this poll about the cleaning fee, this week's topic is breakfast!

There are three options in this poll so choose the one that fits best. In answer to the question 'Do you provide breakfast for your guests', select either 'Yes - I cook them breakfast' or 'Yes - I give them food that I have bought (e.g. cereal, bread etc.)' or 'No - I do not provide breakfast' and then click 'submit'. If you cook and provide bought food as well, select the first option. 

Then write a comment below in the thread telling us more about your choice and why - e.g. I don't provide breakfast as I don't live in the listing etc. The answers will be interesting and useful for new as well as more experienced hosts!

You can see the current results of the poll here!

Please give any suggestions about topics of polls that you would like to see in the future! We welcome your ideas 🙂

Happy polling!

Kirstie

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current polls:

Poll - Do you charge a cleaning fee?

72 Replies 72
Joan59
Level 1
Westmeath, Canada

My place is a full apartment upstairs from where I live. I always have a bowl of fruit. In the fridge I have eggs, cheese, milk and English muffins, enough for the first morning or so. Ketchup, mustard, mayo and margarine are always in the fridge. And there is coffee and tea in the cupboard.

Isabel191
Level 2
Sale, GB

1. As a naive newby I thought we had to provide breakfast, the company is called Airbnb, surely that means bed and breakfast. As I am constantly being pushed by Airbnb to reduce my prices, to get more business, I will not be including breakfast going forward. 

@Isabel191 You are not required to lower your rates, they are suggestions. I've only been listed since January and sometimes they suggest I list at $10 USD per night! Not ... going ... to happen. It is a frustrating balance starting out. 

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.
Chantal6
Level 5
Baguio City, Philippines

Hi Isabel,

I know "Airbnb" is a confusing name. I did tell them to have a different listing for homestay but nothing has been done:(

I do provide breakfast since I live here and the rooms are inside my home. My guests love the personal touch and the convenience of a home cooked meal. I do not allow cooking and my kitchen is off limit to my guests! For me it makes life much easier, since I don't have to deal with a messy kitchen, damaged cookware, food stored in my small fridge. People also tend to waste too much water doing dishes, and our water comes from a tank. It is also a safety issue since we have a gas stove.

Chantal

We do not make breakfast for a guest, but we have some common items on the kitchen counter, things like various types of tea and various types of coffee. We have many dry goods such as noodles, beans, rice, and many spices. When we were guests in other places, it did feel very nice to have a food option of some type especially if we were only there for a couple days. However, I feel no obligation to cook anything for our guestsalthough it tends to happen organically that we will cook together at least a couple meals.

Rc1
Level 4
Philadelphia, PA

No, I find that some guests can have serious allergies to nuts, gluten, and other allergens and sometimes I am not able to say with certainty if the cereal or food I provide these guests is free of those allergens. Instead, I prefer to suggest my favourite diners, brunch places, or grocery stores so the guest can choose what best suits their needs. 

What does "bnb" stand for??? Bed and BREAKFAST!

I have only been dong this for a couple of months and must say I am suprised by my guests' surprise when I show what is on offer for breakfast!

Personally, I woud be pissed off if there was nothing if I stayed at a bnb.

I rent out a self contaned  2 br unit that my guests occupy on their own.

They can do what they please when they please so it is totally up to them if and when they have brekkie and what they have.

I supply 4 differnt cereals, milk, bread + a range of spreads, coffee, tea, fruit juice and eggs. 

Needless to say everyone has been happy with that.

So far I have had such lovely guests and I am more than happy to have provided this and given them as good an experience as I can.

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi all,

It's great to hear why you don't provide breakfast or what you do provide - there are lots of good ideas and opinions being shared!

We've now had 496 responses (!) and interestingly the split is almost identical to the resuts I posted after 49 responses:

Breakfast poll update 2.png

If you haven't seen it already, check out the latest poll - 'Have you used Airbnb when you have travelled before?'

Kirstie

This will be my first rodeo. I plan on offering breakfast as long as it is 2 people and under. I have 2 ways of renting my home. I have a guest suite and or they can rent out the rest of the home that has 2 more bedrooms and a bathroom, up to 8 guests. I don't plan on serving breakfast to 8 guests unless it was like $8 a head. 

Two guests I will serve up whatever we have on hand. I was planning on making batches of green chili pork served with beans and eggs since we live in Flagstaff (Southwest of sorts). I have communicated with my guest coming soon. She has no allergies and 1 week prior to arriving I will offer 1-2 options and a time frame for those options. 

We will see how it goes. Worse case we put a fridge in and stock it and be done. 

I will also not lower my price if offering brekafast. Next door nieghboor does a killing with a simliar set up and price is higher than most in the neighborhood so I do not want to lower my price. Seems like a waste of time otherwise. 

I have stayed at many airbnb's worldwide and have never been served breakfast. I have only been in 2 that offered something. Both in Italy. Coffee and pastry. That was it. Otherwise fridge had food. 

I am not sure how it will go.

Chantal6
Level 5
Baguio City, Philippines

Hi,

I always include breakfast and my guests love it. I do not give them a choice, I cook what I want and so far have had great reviews.

I will not lower my prices since I know better than Airbnb what my home offers.

Chantal6
Level 5
Baguio City, Philippines

For safety reason I do not allow guests in my kitchen, so I do all the cooking myself. They also tend to waste a lot of water washing dishes:(

Gina101
Level 2
Bridport, Australia

I leave items for the guests to make their own breakfast as it is self contained accommodation (apartment)

In the house where I have rooms I also leave basic breakfast so they can help themselves.

Gina101
Level 2
Bridport, Australia

I leave items for the guests to make their own breakfast as it is self contained accommodation (apartment)

In the house where I have rooms I also leave basic breakfast so they can help themselves.

Hardly one ever remarks about the convenience of having breakfast supplied, and sometimes I have left cakes and fruit as well. Not many show appreciation for it.

Chantal6
Level 5
Baguio City, Philippines

Hi Gina,

Sad to say, there are guests who take our hospitality for granted. That is why I do not like providing any food in separate accomodations. Guests are more polite when they have to share the house with you and see you cooking breakfast for them. Most people appreciate the personal touch, that is why they choose our home and give us great reviews.

Personally, I would recommend you only provide an electric kettle for coffee or tea.

Chantal

Chantal6
Level 5
Baguio City, Philippines

Hi Gina,

I totally agree with you. I cook breakfast for my guests and I have great reviews:) 

I also only provide an electric kettle and drinking water. You are right, guests tends to take our kindness for granted when you "provide" more than the usual.

Chantal