Poll - Have you used Airbnb when you have traveled before?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Poll - Have you used Airbnb when you have traveled before?

Poll

Hello everyone,

It's poll time again! The past two polls on 'Do you charge a cleaning fee?' and 'Do you provide breakfast?' turned into really interesting discussions, these are still on-going, so if you haven't taken part yet feel free to join in. 🙂

This week we are exploring the topic of traveling and I thought it would be interesting to see if you have ever stayed in an Airbnb?

To keep track of the results, click here

It would be fantastic to hear your thoughts as well, so please do add your comments around this topic. If you have stayed in an Airbnb whilst traveling before, please share your experience and if not, it would be fantastic to hear why you haven't. 🙂

Thanks so much. Enjoy!

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

43 Replies 43

I always recommend for fellow Hosts to be a Guest at least once a year.

I have recommended more than once to Airbnb to give Hosts credits on a regular basis according to some measure, to encourage Airbnb-specific travel (ie a certain % off for new hosts within their first 6 months hosting if they have at least 20% of their dates booked - a minimum threshold; a certain % off or credit amount for long-time hosts every 6 months and more if they remain SuperHosts or 4+ ratings, etc) to encourage hosts to gain perspective of the guest experience. 

I would avoid holiding this out for only 5 star rated hosts - most of the hosts receiving 3 stars need this experience most. If they aren't getting great reviews they may need to tweak something and may not know unless they put themselves in the same situation as their guests. And of course, sharing a space is a different experience than renting an entire home. Both experience types can be really positive, and both are worth trying out. Whatever is most like your own listing will give great insight. 

We've used Airbnb for budget travel, staycations, luxury weekends away, family in town, and while looking for our own place when we moved out of state (2-3 weeks). I prefer Airbnb when I want to live like a local.   

Cathryn1
Level 4
Wollongong, Australia

I use Airbnb for my accommodation where ever possible.  Of course not all locations have accommodation suitable for my needs.  In those cases I use hotels etc.

The Airbnb places I've stayed in have been and are varied and interesting.  What I like best is when I can interact with the host and feel part of the local community.  The accommodation can be a room in the house or a granny flat on the same property.

Communication is a major influence on whether I will book a place or not.  I really like to contact the host first to get a feel for their hospitality style and their interest in what I am hoping to achieve by my visit.  

I am not keen on remotely hosted accommodation or agent hosted accommodation.  This style of accommodation makes me feel like I am staying in a hotel.  A bit cold & impersonal!

All the things I look for when I stay are what I try to bring to my hosting experience.  I learn so much from being a guest as well as a host.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

Thanks so much for completing the poll and for all your comments, it is really fascinating to see the results (so far) and to hear so many lovely replies and additional information on your selection. 🙂

Here is how it looking at the moment:

Poll results - 24 Apr

Interesting stuff. Please continue to comment and share your thoughts.

Thanks,

Lizzie 

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hi @Lizzie

I have use Airbnb as a guest only twice, in Santiago City (Chile) and Buenos Aires (Argentina), where I got a 1-bedroom apartment and an studio, both very well located at a reasonable price. The experience it was good and I would do it again.

In the last two years, when I was in some big cities of US and Europe, I chose hotels. I searched Airbnb and  I saw some ugly acommodation in great location at prices similar to good and reasonably priced hotels. Nice Airbnb accommodation in great location existed, but at expensive prices.

So it depends on where I go (cities) and number of days.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing your experience @J-Renato0. This is really interesting and nice to hear you enjoyed your stays in Chile and Argentina. I haven't been to South America before, I feel my wishlist of places increases by the day, which suggests to me I need to start planning some more trips! 🙂 Even within the last two years, the number of listings being hosted has increased across the world, so I am sure even within this relatively short amount of time the range of places available to you may have changed. 

I hope you have some exciting trips coming up soon. 🙂

Thanks again,

Lizzie

--------------------

Gina101
Level 2
Bridport, Australia

I have used Airbnb for accommodation extensively, around the world....ok not all around the world, but in lots of places.

Most hosts were prompt with replies and the booking procedure was seamless.

One operator however, realised after a few messages that I was going to be travelling at a peak time for Australians visiting Turkey and put the price up by 3 times. I still had to go ahead with this booking very reluctantly because it was near impossible to find a place with four of us. Then the place was very difficult to find, and there was no hot water the second and third days.....no sun for solar heating. Very dissappointing.

On the other hand I booked an apartment in Paris, France for the Airbnb Open in 2015. The young lady was very helpful, met us at the metro station and was able to also assist when we had to change our train tickets to Brussels.

We have also used the service in Italy, Belgium, California, Australia, Germany, and found the hosts really good. We have booked rooms and apartments, the one in Los Angeles for the Open in 2016, was not up to scratch though.

I think it is a great way to travel and meet people, it's like turning up and you have a friend already.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

It is great to hear you are so well travelled @Gina101 and you have stayed in lots of different Airbnbs. Where has been you favourite location to visit? 

--------------------

Kathryn97
Level 2
DeLand, FL

I have not used Airbnb when traveling yet but plan to on my next trip.  It will be interesting to see how others do it.

We stay at an amazing Airbnb in Nashville, TN.  We are now trying to book a home in the Azores, São Miguel for a family of 18. It is a challenge. Any suggestions?

Sandra406
Level 2
Hurricane, UT

Yes, so far just one time and it was a pleasant experience. I rented a room for an overnight stay ...St. George Ut. to /Flagstaff and on to Phoenix. My host was quite positive about his experiences so far and I was anxious to ask questions as I was just beginning to think that I could do this. All of my trips since then have been with large groups so I am looking forward to being a guest in the near future.

Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

I've used Airbnb 3x to travel. By fluke the first place was great and the host was great. I wasn't hosting myself then. The next place was quite good, but with some drawbacks. The third place was terrible and I checked out early. As bad as that was, Airbnb were AWESOME about it. 

I have learned there is an art to finding the right place for you and I think I'm close to mastering it!

I'm unlikely to book a place with less than 20 reviews from now on. I also know o only like "entire places" that don't have managers on site.

You make a good point, @Roz4.  Not only do hosts need to be educated about selecting guests, but guests need to be educated about selecting hosts.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Roz4 for sharing your experience. I hope your next trips are like the first. 🙂

--------------------

Jim-and-Marcia0
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

We had a great stay with a host in Copenhagen, Denmark - prior to our becoming a host. It was a private room in a flat near Tivoli Gardens. We stayed 3 nights with Anne and her two sons.  Such a brief time together, but the stay touched our hearts! We sense we still have a friend in Copenhagen and over a year later I found myself buying a gift for her.... a nice carry bag, decorated with bicycles. My husband will be in Copenhagen in August, before embarking to work on a cruise ship, so he'll see if he can meet up with her to hand deliver our gift!