Portland, OR Hosts

Portland, OR Hosts

Where can I put the permit number on the bnb site from the city?

19 Replies 19
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Permit Posting Requirement: You are required to include your short-term rental permit number on your listing. You may add your permit number to your listing by going to Manage Listing > Calendar and More > Detailed Description. In the "Other Things to Note" field, type in your permit number following the acceptable permit format for Portland. The format is: YY-xxxxxx-xxx-xx-HO. An example would be: 16-123456-000-00-HO

I actually found a place for it under location.  That's where to put it in.

Mary115
Level 2
Redlands, CA

I am going through permitting process in Portland. I need to know any information anyone has about this process. I have a small cottage (1 bedroom). A couple of questions:

1) Does it have to be a specific person who shows up at the permitting office with the paperwork? Can I hire that task out to someone else?

2) It is a small place and we would only rent as a "whole" house but we also have a home across the street we own(a family member lives there full time) and will stay in anytime someone is in our cottage. Is that going to work with the permitting as it is in Portland? 

3) Any feedback on the secure door entries? We have metal security doors on the house as well as solid core doors. Will the secure door entries work with metal security doors? 

Anything else anyone has had experience with and wants to share?

Thanks. 

If you dont live in the residence 275 days out of the year, then permitting is not going to happen.  It cant be a rental that has no one living in it.  Does that make sense?

Hi!

1) You don't need to go to the permitting office.  You need to do it by mail.

2) When you permit the place it says you must live there over 260 days a year I believe.

3) I'm pretty sure it will work.  I would look at Airbnb assist as well. They have great little entry way tips.

It sounds like you just need to go to the bureau and/or call them and get these answered.  Although, if you aren't living in the residence, it may not be permittable anymore.  It's a tough question that the bureau can help you figure out.

Michael ***

Hello! I'm new to hosting and looking into obtaining permit.

I'm not sure if I should go through the Portland or Gresham website, what is the best way to determine? We are right at the "border" of portland and gresham.

Also, do I need to apply for a business license to get a str permit in portland?

Thank you!

Kate

Hi Kate - It’s been a few years since I got my permit in Portland but yes I needed the biz license as well.

As for the question on Portland or Gresham, I’d think you have to belong to one or the other. Interesting situation to be in the border! Do you get the Portland Arts tax in the mail? Do you get a Portland Water Bureau bill? Then it would seem that you’re in Portland. What does your official USPS say? Or, look on Portland maps website online. You could always call the city Bureau of Planning and Sustainability but be aware that staff always disclaim that they are not giving you professional advice — in the early years before they understood ADUs I was told that mine was considered part of my house and didn’t need a certain kind of permit. That was wrong and I later got a big fine for not having the right kind of permit. Good luck!

Heather86
Level 3
Portland, OR

FYI I just had a card left on my doorstep today from a Multnomah County appraiser person checking off boxes on a form that they wanted to do an internal inspection to verify work that was permitted last year (to create my aibnb). I am wondering if others have gotten this?

Is it harmless (well, of course my property taxes will go up)?

Are the county and city of portlnad in cahoots (love that word!) of any sort? I have not registered yet because I am on the fence about converting to long term rental, may be moving, etc. 

But in any case, just wanted to know if anything new is up with County (usually it's city). I know there was a tax debate last year but I thought that was only to apply to non-attached new construction ADUs? Mine is an attached garage convert.

Thanks in advance.

If the city is truly doing that I would be very surprised.  They still haven't figured out what they are doing really when it comes to fines for non-listed or posted permitting.  In January they decided to shelf the whole discussion until the end of this year 2017.  I would just google Airbnb Portland to keep up with the non-compliance stuff.  So far, I guess you could ask the guy who wants to do an internal viewing and then let me know.  Sounds interesting.

It is not the CITY. It is the COUNTY. You pay property taxes to County. AIrbnb pays hotel tax to City.

City and County are different entities and County has not yet been engaged in "regulating" airbnb but having a County dude leave his "inspection" calling card did definitely put me on high alert.

Also, are you really sure about what you are posting about end of 2017? Please be sure before posting. They passed something pretty strong that took effect March 31, with unpermitted airbnbs having a minimum fine of $1,000 and removing the former 30-day grace period It is still complaint driven, but still!

Great Heather.  I have no idea and have not received a notice from the county.  Plus, why are you worried if you are permitted?  If you're permitted, then you should post the permit number on the site.  Also, my Bnb didn't go through some remodel that wasn't with the city.  It was remodeled prior to my purchase of the house.  To be clear:  I have no idea why the COUNTY would have any tax issue with you (IN CAPS).  

I am talking abouty permitting as in construciton permitting...not airbnb permitting. That is the permit that triggered this inspection.

Anyways, will just be curious to see if anyone else from Portland Sees this post and shares whether they have any intel on whether the county is picking up the ADU valuation issue again. Or maybe even some other issue -- to my knowledge they haven't waded into anything with airbnb like the city and, for example, also requiring registration with maximum night stays or anything of that sort.

When County taxes on ADUs was a hot issue last year there were people who sounded like their valuations were going to go waaaay up. If your house has not been appraised for awhile and then you permit and construct an ADU, and County comes back out, it might make your hosue valuation suddenly double (or more) and hence you owe maybe another $3000-$4000-$5000 a year in taxes, which is kind of a big deal and something to plan for.

If I learn anything else I will post here. IF anyone in Portland knows if/what County is up to, please share. Thanks.

By the way, cute listing.  I like the gate.  Got a gate guy?

Hi, I just received one too and am reaearching if I have to let them in. A realtor said I did not. My taxes will increase by the amount of my building permit, plus 3% the county is allowed to increase each year. So I really don't know why they want in now. I do have the permit to operate the Air BnB. 

Wondering if youv'e learned anymore about this since this post?

Linda